HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:39 PM

Post Top 52 Tallest Towers in Northern California

Hello! I'm looking for help. I can not find an accurate list of the tallest planned and completed buildings in San Francisco/North California. I did my best and compiled this list. I want to crowdsource to confirm I am not missing anything, as well as to share this with you all. This will be for my work at SFYIMBY.com.

#	(ft)	Project Name	

1	1,070	Salesforce Tower	

2	910	Oceanwide Center	

3	853	Transamerica Pyramid	

4	810	181 Fremont Street	

5	779	555 California Street	

6	750	550 Howard Street	

7	695	345 California Center	

8	645	Millennium Tower	

9	641	One Rincon Hill South Tower	

10	622	415 20th Street	

11	618	The Avery (Transbay Block 8)*	

12	605	250 Howard Street	

13	600	53 3rd Street	

14	600	101 California Street	

15	600	50 Fremont Center	

16	590	10 South Van Ness	

17	573	Market Center	

18	571	Four Embarcadero Center	

19	568	One Embarcadero Center	

20	565	44 Montgomery Street	

21	564	Spear Tower	

22	550	One Sansome Street	

23	541	Tower 2, The Harrison	

24	538	One Front Street	

25	529	McKesson Plaza	

26	529	First Market Tower	

27	525	425 Market Street	

28	520	30 Van Ness	

29	510	706 Mission Street	

30	500	Telesis Tower / One Montgomery Tower	

31	495	333 Bush Street	

32	493	Hilton San Francisco Tower I	

33	492	Pacific Gas & Electric Building	

34	487	50 California Street	

35	487	555 Mission Street	

36	484	St. Regis San Francisco	

37	476	100 Pine Center	

38	476	45 Fremont Street	

39	472	333 Market Street	

40	466	Hartford Building	

41	447	100 First Plaza	

42	444	95 Hawthorne Street	

43	440	500 Folsom Street	

44	440	340 Fremont Street	

45	440	399 Fremont Street	

46	438	One California	

47	436	San Francisco Marriott	

48	435	140 New Montgomery	

49	435	Russ Building	

50	430	Jasper	

51	423	The Infinity I	

52	422	MIRA	

This is my first post here, so please delete if there is a better thread for this. Thank you!

Last edited by AndrewCNelson; Jan 14, 2021 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCNelson View Post
Hello! I'm looking for help. I can not find an accurate list of the tallest planned and completed buildings in San Francisco/North California. I did my best and compiled this list. I want to crowdsource to confirm I am not missing anything, as well as to share this with you all. This will be for my work at SFYIMBY.com.
Do you have any criteria for likelihood of construction or where the projects are in the approval process? Also, what minimum height are you interested in.

There are some somewhat fanciful projects like 45-53 Third St ( https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ight=FRANCISCO ) which you are missing. And some at around 400 feet [like 1500 Mission at 396 ft) you may or may not be interested in.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 10:15 PM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Do you have any criteria for likelihood of construction or where the projects are in the approval process? Also, what minimum height are you interested in.

There are some somewhat fanciful projects like 45-53 Third St ( https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ight=FRANCISCO ) which you are missing. And some at around 400 feet [like 1500 Mission at 396 ft) you may or may not be interested in.
As long as the developer hasnt stated that the project is over, I'm considering it. I'm including the Oceanwide Center for that reason, even though it's on hold. Having followed these kind of projects before, I know that even through some rough times, they have a chance of being built, so I am considering 53 3rd Street at #13.

& Yes! This will be a top 52 tallest towers list, so that's the reason for the cut-off. If I don't consider the Sutro Tower as counting, then #52 would actually be Studio Gang's MIRA.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCNelson View Post
I am considering 53 3rd Street at #13.
Ah . . . sorry; missed it.

List looks good to me if those are your criteria.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Ah . . . sorry; missed it.

List looks good to me if those are your criteria.
Oh no worries, it's a long list ! Thank you

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:51 AM
heavy user of walkability

various things that didn't fit in individual threads...

One de Haro

Bryant, near 8th (which for some reason I thought was going to be super yellow. oh, this was why. glad not, in any case). there also seems to be something under wraps further to the east, maybe at Sixth, not sure what that would be

Harrison, near 8th. wraps coming off

9th and Howard

with 5M in the distance

small parts of Van Ness are still torn up...

but some parts are much further along:

the one that used to be the auto-repair place across from the federal building north of Civic Center

Trinity, since its thread has been closed to new comments

the supportive housing on Mission next to the courthouse, near 7th

1066 Market

Serif and the growing wall on the north side of Market

this one up 5th St from 5M seems to have stalled:

this was built behind (now-boarded-up) 21st Amendment on Second St. it spans two alleys. its face on the other was more attractive, but there was someone standing there that I didn't want to bother by conspicuously taking a photo

as someone documented recently, Folsom streetscape is getting close to done. street has been paved and striped...

... but I was really disappointed to see some of the corner planters still unfinished. seems like they have been like that forever

at least the one in front of Mira is basically done

Moscone Muni Station entrance has made a little progress

(and it was too dark for the photo to come out, but the 4th and Brannan surface station also was closer to being done, with awnings and signage installed when I walked by)

Last edited by timbad; Jan 11, 2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added link for not yellow project

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 2:12 PM

Thanks, Timbad!

Thanks for those updates, Timbad!
  • Haha, easily understandable why you'd think the Bryant street one would be yellow
  • Trinity has been building since I had moved to SF 7 years ago. Glad to see that wrapping up
  • I love how Serif turned out. Wonder if the floorplans are any good.
  • Those Folsom streetscape finishing touches were sorely needed. Thank goodness (that project felt like it took forever considering that it was a streetscape project
  • Nice! you got a peek at the station!

Last edited by DIESELPOLO; Jan 12, 2021 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 3:04 PM

Awesome photos, makes me miss SF.

Quick question about the homeless situation- is it still better controlled than before the pandemic? I haven't been to SF since before the pandemic started and we all know what it was like then. I heard it was being contained better than previously, but interested to hear how it is now and if anyone thinks it's going to be a permanent fix or if it will go back to business as usual once the pandemic ends.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 4:33 PM

Thanks for all of the photos Timbad! Even on the individual threads. I would post photos but for some reason my imgur isn't working anymore and I get busy with other personal projects. I will try to find another solution so I can help out. Cheers everyone and hope you're all having a good 2021 so far!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:32 PM

Looks like Norman Foster's Oceanwide Center is on hold indefinitely:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...edium=referral

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Awesome photos, makes me miss SF.

Quick question about the homeless situation- is it still better controlled than before the pandemic? I haven't been to SF since before the pandemic started and we all know what it was like then. I heard it was being contained better than previously, but interested to hear how it is now and if anyone thinks it's going to be a permanent fix or if it will go back to business as usual once the pandemic ends.
The number of tents drastically increased at the beginning of the pandemic, but has gone down significantly (at least in my part of town) over the last couple of months. The general homeless population seems to be at about the same level it was pre-pandemic, however.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
Bryant, near 8th (which for some reason I thought was going to be super yellow. oh, this was why. glad not, in any case). there also seems to be something under wraps further to the east, maybe at Sixth, not sure what that would be

That would be 833 Bryant:
https://www.mercyhousing.org/2020/04/13600/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
[*]Trinity has been building since I had moved to SF 7 years ago. Glad to see that wrapping up
You should have been here for the fights about approving it that went on for years before that. Does the name Chris Daly mean anything?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
The number of tents drastically increased at the beginning of the pandemic, but has gone down significantly (at least in my part of town) over the last couple of months. The general homeless population seems to be at about the same level it was pre-pandemic, however.
Yes, the number of tents on sidewalks, at least outside the Tenderloin, is significantly less and I think that's due to housing people in hotels. The big question is whether they'll all be back out on the street when the pandemic is over and/or funding for the hotel rooms dries up or the hotel owners want to get back to renting to tourists or longer term renters.

I admit I was afraid they'd come back as soon as the election was over.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 12:32 AM

During my most recent trips to SF, I have noticed a drop in tents around the city, especially around the freeway exits towards the Bay Bridge. I usually trek around Chase Center, Salesforce Park -> Mira Tower, Ferry Building, Crissy Field/Palace of Fine Arts and Sutro baths and RARELY see any homeless people there.

The last time I was in the Tenderloin district was probably in September and it seemed like it was the same pre-pandemic, in my opinion. People are generally nice and let you pass by

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 12:43 AM
Show me the blueprints

Those planters look pretty interesting. Are those cast concrete of some kind of stone?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, the number of tents on sidewalks, at least outside the Tenderloin, is significantly less and I think that's due to housing people in hotels. The big question is whether they'll all be back out on the street when the pandemic is over and/or funding for the hotel rooms dries up or the hotel owners want to get back to renting to tourists or longer term renters.

I admit I was afraid they'd come back as soon as the election was over.
Yeah. I live near 4th and King where there are usually a lot of homeless. There have been far fewer around, because, as mentioned, many are being housed in hotels for the moment. Since occupancy of the hotels is so low anyway, I guess it's a reasonable use for them, plus I would rather not have people walking around who can get infected but can't self isolate. That's not to say you don't see people on the street or sleeping in tents: you do, but if I had to say from my experience, the number is only 5-10% of what it usually is.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:23 AM

Quote:
You should have been here for the fights about approving it that went on for years before that. Does the name Chris Daly mean anything?
It doesn't. Looks like I need to use my google fingers to learn more!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:52 AM

timbad Thanks again for all the updates. We are not getting out much due to the pandemic so glad to see so many changes. I was concerned about two of the very large building projects south of Market when they were in the wood frame construction, holding my breath that we would not see another fire which happens too often. Glad to see them survive & are relatively safe now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations