HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 12:59 PM

Taking bets on the next surface lot/vacant lot in downtown to bite the dust.

My bet is on the lot behind Richford Arms that Erie Insurance owns.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
Erie Bank to build branch location on the NW corner of East 10th & Parade sts. This is an old area of town that hasn't seen much development in the last 50yrs or so. It is hoped to spur re-investment in a inner city neighborhood.
A bank branch can help provide some stability. Let's just hope that they don't build their typical drive-thru branch, like the disaster on 10th & Peach.

Chances of them not building a completely crappy suburban drive-thru bank branch: 0%

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 1:41 AM

Agree, I also understand they are to build a "learn how to" center. As was stated many of the area residents don't have a bank acc't.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Taking bets on the next surface lot/vacant lot in downtown to bite the dust.

My bet is on the lot behind Richford Arms that Erie Insurance owns.
There are tons to choose from! And unfortunately, when one is developed, a couple new ones are born due to Erie's completely myopic and depply-ingrained demolition habits.

Development on that lot by Richford Arms would be great! It would be perfect for a nice residential building, fronting on Perry Square, though not sure the Erie market can support it at this time.

The lot on E3rd between State and French is another great candidate for development.

As are the lots between E4th and E5th between French and German. It's rather pitiful that the ENTIRE block between Holland and German is empty, save for Erie Insurance parking lots. Erie Insurance knocked down the Cauley Auditorium and ALL the houses on the block. They supposedly plan to develop it all as residential...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 1:01 PM

Art center being developed at 1307 State St.

With all the construction projects happening downtown you may have missed that there are renovations occurring at 1307 State Street which used to house the Epp's Furniture Company.

The building will be the future home of the FEED Media Art Center, which will include public exhibition space, spaces for artists-in-residence, archival space, and residential quarters.

It's not expected to open for a few years.

Read more here: https://www.goerie.com/story/enterta...e/65400194007/

Video of some exhibitions:
https://finance.yahoo.com/video/look...012250552.html

Photo from GoErie.com article

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 1:41 PM

^ Very cool!

That's a building that I've long thought would be a great renovation project. It's a big building at 50k sq ft!... which isn't really that apparent from State St.

Definitely needs some major facade work, and I'm hoping that they do a comprehensive job. From the photo though, it looks like they're in patch-up mode for now at least. Would love to see the mezzanine level re-opened and windows re-installed as part of a full restoration... but I'll definitely take what we can get for the time being. The owner's quote "It’ll reach a plateau of evolution and we’ll enjoy it until the next stage of evolution." makes pretty clear that this will be piecemeal and that this is a likely a relatively temporary art space, rather than a full rehab of the structure for permanent and significant occupancy, but it's a start... and the utilization of a vacant space could really help this stretch of State St. revitalize.

Even though they're not original to the building, the glass-block, if illuminated, could give off a really cool art deco vibe.

I love the back of it too:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 12:13 AM

I'm gonna be taking a walk downtown this weekend and I'll provide photos of the progress of some of major projects happening down there.

If there's a certain project you want pics of, let me know before Saturday!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:02 AM

Quote:
I'm gonna be taking a walk downtown this weekend and I'll provide photos of the progress of some of major projects happening down there.

If there's a certain project you want pics of, let me know before Saturday!
Anything!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:09 AM

Good news! Glad to see Lavery expand... signs that things area going well for them, which is good for downtown Erie (and 12th Street, in particular).

Lavery Brewing Co. buys closed downtown West 12th Street pizza shop to expand seating, kitchen

Lavery Brewing Co. buys former site of franchise pizza shop for $340,000; expansion will add 56 seats and expand kitchen space

https://www.goerie.com/story/enterta...a/66823053007/

We're hoping, if all goes well, we'll open in February," Jason Lavery said, not that they'll be closed anytime soon. He said Lavery will stay open through the bulk of the construction, with the plan to close for a week or so in January to put on the finishing touches, such as an updated and expanded bar, new flooring and more.

Jason Lavery said the plans will add 56 new seats, double what they can seat now, and move the kitchen activity from its tiny quarters behind the bar to the bigger one left behind by the pizza shop. They plan to knock out a wall to create an open space from the bar to the dining area.

"We'll be getting updated equipment, an updated menu and table service," Jason Lavery said. "The way we do it now, with people ordering their food at the bar, isn't going to work with 100 seats."

Jason Lavery said they will keep the popular picnic table area that juts out into the parking lot, but there will be a West 12th Street main entrance. The current entrance is from the back of a parking lot where several picnic tables allow for outdoor seating.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 1:17 PM

Progress photos of major downtown projects

Here's some photos I took yesterday of the project happening downtown.

Five-story building being constructed at NW corner of 5th and State. Will house apartments, retail, and Ascend Climbing Gym.

Six-story parking garage with wraparound building at NE corner of 5th and Peach.

Two-story expansion of the Experience Children’s Museum at the NW corner of 5th and French.

Two-story addition of the Richford Arms building at the SE corner of 5th and State.

Renovation of the old Citizens Bank into the new headquarters of Great Lakes Insurance at the NW corner of 12th and State.

Recently repainted Cashier’s House to house a new restaurant.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 1:27 PM

It also looks like the Sheraton Erie Bayfront hotel will be getting $7.5M makeover to it's guest rooms, lobby, and other spaces, to be completed before next summer.

https://www.goerie.com/story/busines...s/69497321007/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 4:18 PM

Nice! Thanks for the construction tour.

Will be great to see this:

Evolve into this (or something like it):

Based on the below rendering in comparison with your photo, it seems like they chopped a floor off the apartment building, unless they'll be adding another level to the garage:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 4:25 PM

Also, good reference shot looking south from this 5th & State development.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 3:04 PM

Work is also going on at the NW corner of 11th & State sts. The former Robinson-Conner/NW Bank bldg getting an overhaul for Momentum. Full filling their promise to bring 100 jobs to downtown Erie in support of Erie Ins.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:33 PM

I know this has been stated before ad nauseum on this thread (mostly by PJ) but I'm gonna say it again: there needs to be a cohesive plan/branding for the development down on the bayfront.

As it stands, we currently have 4 different branding efforts happening down there:

-- Harbor Place, which is the Scott development
-- Bayfront Place, which is the proposed plan around the convention center
-- Bayfront Landing, which includes the Sheraton and Courtyard hotels
-- Hidden Harbor, which includes most of the businesses located on East Dobbins Landing

Not to mention the fact that the dock itself is Dobbins Landing which is, honestly, what I think everything branching off State north of the parkway should be referred to as.

I get it, these developers want to be distinctive and set their developments apart from the rest, but it's just jarring going down there and seeing signage and branding for several different "places" all within a couple block of each other.

I always thought that an arch (similar to what they have at the West Erie Plaza) should be placed on State just north of the parkway with "Dobbins Landing" on it.

Last edited by jFug; Sep 21, 2022 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:24 PM

Quote:
I know this has been stated before ad nauseum on this thread (mostly by PJ) but I'm gonna say it again: there needs to be a cohesive plan/branding for the development down on the bayfront.

As it stands, we currently have 4 different branding efforts happening down there:

-- Harbor Place, which is the Scott development
-- Bayfront Place, which is the proposed plan around the convention center
-- Bayfront Landing, which includes the Sheraton and Courtyard hotels
-- Hidden Harbor, which includes most of the businesses located on East Dobbins Landing
Don't forget the proposed "McAllister Place" development on East Dobbins Landing.

Overall, I think there should be 3 main components of the "central bayfront":
  1. Dobbins Landing
  2. Sassafras Pier
  3. Holland Pier

Focus on referring to the 3 general areas by these 3 simple, accurate, non-cheesy names and the rest will take care of itself.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 12:50 AM

Old Seawolves office to be demolished

The old SeaWolves office building at 931 French Street is slated to be demolished soon. The building, which is no longer used after ticket sales were moved to the newer entrance, will be demolished to make way for greenspace and walkway connecting the ballpark entrance to the south, where most people park.

https://www.yourerie.com/community/u...-its-ballpark/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
The old SeaWolves office building at 931 French Street is slated to be demolished soon. The building, which is no longer used after ticket sales were moved to the newer entrance, will be demolished to make way for greenspace and walkway connecting the ballpark entrance to the south, where most people park.

https://www.yourerie.com/community/u...-its-ballpark/
Good riddance -- an awful turd of a building.

I think there used to be a Red Barn restaurant on that corner until the early 1990s

Unfortunately, as Erie loves to do, they knocked down all of those cool old brick apartment buildings on that block of French by the early 2000s.

I think they're going to demo this 1870s building (which most recently served as the Bayhawks offices) on East 8th as well (if they haven't already) for more parking... you know, because you need a handful of extra spaces right next to a full-block-sized 4-level parking garage. The building sold for only $85k in April... gimme a break.

I will never understand Erie's fetish with destroying its building stock.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Good riddance -- an awful turd of a building.

I think there used to be a Red Barn restaurant on that corner until the early 1990s

Unfortunately, as Erie loves to do, they knocked down all of those cool old brick apartment buildings on that block of French by the early 2000s.

I think they're going to demo this 1870s building (which most recently served as the Bayhawks offices) on East 8th as well (if they haven't already) for more parking... you know, because you need a handful of extra spaces right next to a full-block-sized 4-level parking garage. The building sold for only $85k in April... gimme a break.

I will never understand Erie's fetish with destroying its building stock.
Those pictures made me sad lol.

They better not be knocking down anymore of those historic homes, so help me God. Especially after that debacle of a building they built on 10th across from UPMC Park.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:28 PM

Presque Isle Gateway District Plan

I'm not sure if any of you saw this but Millcreek has a website for the PI Gateway District and improvements along W. 6th, 8th, 12th, and Peninsula Drive. You are able to provide comments on the plans.

The West 8th Street Plan includes the obvious improvements: consistent sidewalks, street trees, bike lanes, etc. But it also talks of infill development around the perimeter of existing commercial spaces (like the West Erie Plaza) with zero setbacks.

Parking would be relocated to behind any new buildings. The size of the parking lot in front of the Colony Plaza would be reduced in order to accommodate angled, on-street parking.

According to the website they are in the final stages of planning and public feedback.

The West 8th Street Plan can be found here: https://ingallsplanning.mysocialpinp...et-masterplan/

Concepts for each corridor can be found here: https://ingallsplanning.mysocialpinp...lan-corridors/

Theme & signage concepts can be found here: https://ingallsplanning.mysocialpinp...t-plan-themes/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations