HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:29 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
When they get to one of "those states," they will have to make sure they don't pick a school district that does believe in COVID and is willing to defy the edicts of their state government.
Have fun in Alabama, guys!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
They shouldn’t need to do either. You want kids to wear masks forever? Talk about fucking up an entire generation’s social development.
yes, kids and everyone will have to wear masks forever.

lol just listen to yourself.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Have fun in Alabama, guys!
Try dropping the stereotypes for once.

Alabama governor says ‘it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks’ as pandemic worsens

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey issued an impassioned plea for residents of her state to get vaccinated against Covid-19, arguing it was “time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks” for the disease’s continued spread.

“I want folks to get vaccinated. That’s the cure. That prevents everything,” Ivey, a Republican, told reporters in Birmingham, Ala., on Thursday.

“Why would we want to mess around with just temporary stuff?” she said. “We don’t need to encourage people to just go halfway with curing this disease. Let’s get it done. And we know what it takes to get it done.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...nations-500638

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

I wish this forum had a "Like" button.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:45 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Try dropping the stereotypes for once.

Alabama governor says ‘it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks’ as pandemic worsens

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey issued an impassioned plea for residents of her state to get vaccinated against Covid-19, arguing it was “time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks” for the disease’s continued spread.

“I want folks to get vaccinated. That’s the cure. That prevents everything,” Ivey, a Republican, told reporters in Birmingham, Ala., on Thursday.

“Why would we want to mess around with just temporary stuff?” she said. “We don’t need to encourage people to just go halfway with curing this disease. Let’s get it done. And we know what it takes to get it done.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...nations-500638
I'm glad to be wrong, but then what state would be best for those who don't want any COVID rules? Florida? Texas? There is a place for everybody who wants it, since that's the American way. Northern California is good if you don't like COVID rules as well, but...it's CA.
A plea won't work though, Madam Governor, those were for last year.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:46 PM
The City

Quote:
i haven't heard of them sending kids home from schools in nyc.

maybe they have, i dk, but you don't hear that.
Ignorance is bliss.

Maybe if you had school age kids....? Nah, somebody else's problem

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
You are right, of course, but there is also a "degree" of insanity to this.
there's a GIANT "degree" of insanity to this.

by and large, covid does not kill young children.

the fatally rates for kids are extremely low. how many healthy under-10s has covid killed in the US? isn't in the 100s? out of literally tens of millions of kids who've had it/been exposed to it.

we gotta start rolling the dice again at some point.

we happily roll the dice with every other aspect of our society.

and thousands of kids drown or die in car accidents every year because we all do roll those dice, yet we haven't outlawed driving or closed all of the beaches and swimming pools.

WHY!?!

"won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!"

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 27, 2021 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:49 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:

It’s been basically two years. When will kids not have to wear stupid masks? 5 years? 10? How much longer because this insanity government mandated paranoia ain’t going away anytime soon. And most people are sick of the insanity. Let the 20 percent of weirdos who still wear masks wear them forever. Let kids and everyone else stop wearing masks. These kids are going to be super fucked up socially. It was already bad enough with every kid staring at phone screens all day and not socializing properly.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
what state would be best for those who don't want any COVID rules? Florida? Texas?
I don't know about Florida, but in Texas, cities, school districts, and even corporations are flouting our idiot governor's ban on mandates.

ETA: Looks like the "NO POLITICS!" admonition in the thread title isn't working. I'm out of here.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:53 PM

My kid is in a private preschool, very lefty progressive, has the sniffles all the time (seasonal allergies) and has never been sent home.

They've never even mentioned the issue. Of course he's always masked except for outdoor play and lunch/snacks and they have the standard Covid guidelines. They also take student and caregiver temps at drop-off.

So I think there's a pretty broad range of school-level policies re. managing risk.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Changed my mind. I'm staying out of this.

If the level of resistance to governmental mandates seen today had existed in the early 40s, we’d all be speaking German now.
1) There was never any risk at all of Germany occupying American soil, or even launching more than nuisance attacks on the US mainland.

2) Covid is not Nazi Germany nor any kind of war. It’s a virus, one of many thousands that infects humans and makes them sick, and it kills a small percentage of those, generally the most frail.

What a stupid post.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
I don't know about Florida, but in Texas, cities, school districts, and even corporations are flouting our idiot governor's ban on mandates.

ETA: Looks like the "NO POLITICS!" admonition in the thread title isn't working. I'm out of here.
It’s completely impossible to separate any discussion of Covid restrictions from politics. That much should be obvious. Covid is political.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
My kid is in a private preschool, very lefty progressive, has the sniffles all the time (seasonal allergies) and has never been sent home.

They've never even mentioned the issue. Of course he's always masked except for outdoor play and lunch/snacks and they have the standard Covid guidelines. They also take student and caregiver temps at drop-off.

So I think there's a pretty broad range of school-level policies re. managing risk.
Not a good example. Private schools need to keep you (the customers) happy. Public schools don't have the same priorities

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:

Then what are your criteria for that no longer being necessary?

I await your illogical or impossible response.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
1) There was never any risk at all of Germany occupying American soil, or even launching more than nuisance attacks on the US mainland.

2) Covid is not Nazi Germany nor any kind of war. It’s a virus, one of many thousands that infects humans and makes them sick, and it kills a small percentage of those, generally the most frail.

What a stupid post.
Oh holy crap. My point was about making sacrifices for a common goal and the widespread refusal thereof during this pandemic, Mr/Ms Literal.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:59 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
It’s been basically two years. When will kids not have to wear stupid masks? 5 years? 10? How much longer because this insanity government mandated paranoia ain’t going away anytime soon.
There is the same level of paranoia about the "insanity" continuing, so I have to verify it's actually the same. Oh and a few more months as kids start to get vaccinated, IMO.

Quote:
And most people are sick of the insanity. Let the 20 percent of weirdos who still wear masks wear them forever. Let kids and everyone else stop wearing masks. These kids are going to be super fucked up socially. It was already bad enough with every kid staring at phone screens all day and not socializing properly.
Kids on the spectrum will have a hard time with it. The rest will have a mask of their favorite cartoon or draw on it.

Quote:

To me it's public policy, politics would be like what party or side prefers what.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:01 PM

I think, by next fall, masks won't be mandatory in schools, with rare exceptions. Once kids have the vax, there are no more excuses.

Also, I hear adults complaining about masks, but never heard of a kid complaining. My kid doesn't even mention it; it's as ingrained as wearing shoes. I seriously doubt they're suffering permanent damage from a piece of cloth, and if there weren't mask requirements there would be more school shutdowns.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Oh holy crap. My point was about making sacrifices for a common goal and the widespread refusal thereof during this pandemic, Mr/Ms Literal.
Even as an analogy it makes no sense. Hence, it was a stupid post.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think, by next fall, masks won't be mandatory in schools, with rare exceptions. Once kids have the vax, there are no more excuses.

Also, I hear adults complaining about masks, but never heard of a kid complaining. My kid doesn't even mention it; it's as ingrained as wearing shoes. I seriously doubt they're suffering permanent damage from a piece of cloth, and if there weren't mask requirements there would be more school shutdowns.
Adults have the vaccine and masks are still being required in many places. The goalposts have shifted repeatedly, remember. Now we are being told we still need masks because vaccines aren’t 100% effective (of course they’re not). What makes you think the teachers’ unions won’t apply the same argument to kids?

And the fact that kids are accustomed to masks is a bad thing, not a good one. I can only imagine the amount of fear and trauma that kids of a certain age (old enough to remember but too young to really understand this) are going to need to work through later.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
To me it's public policy, politics would be like what party or side prefers what.
I was really referring to my calling the governor an idiot when I wrote that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions