HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 12:37 AM
I just ran out of B***sht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
*Wright, don't you fault that idea? Don't lines with branches screw with the headways?
I fault it under two conditions;
1) When the corridor under question doesn't justify the need for the extra trunk service.
Exceptions to that rule are;
* Running a trunk subway with one or two branches feeding Wilshire Corridor from Westwood to Downtown
* Downtown Regional Connector,
* The 405 corridor between Van Nuys and Westwood
* A small section serving LAX-El Segundo

These would work because the trunk serves the key corridor, destination, job center and or has a very high residential density (i'm talking Hong Kong/Paris/Tokyo like density) in question, however that is not true for a corridor let's say down Florence Avenue with branches all over the place.

2) There will be capacity limits to having too many branches along one corridor and with only two tracks. It's more to do with the operation side of things because the more switches and branches along the line the slower it will operate even if it's fully grade separated. And it just adds more confusion when you wait for the service.

What the map doesn't show is at the LAX section would have more than two tracks at the station (I'm assuming the section that you're refering to, or it could be the Crenshaw Map, that is a diagram of the various northern route options that it could take, not 4 or 5 lines sharing trunk on Crenshaw.) In addition El Segundo is one of the major job centers in the South Bay area so it makes sense to have a few lines with an already built grade separated corridor that serves a large job center.

Quote:
**Wright, which one would you say makes more sense?

That is a trick question. I'm very serious about that because it is dependant upon what style of service is discussed.

If it's local they're both equal however I would place a little more weight towards Long Beach because of the Wilmington connection (however how they connect into Long Beach will still be a major question). However San Pedro isn't a bad destination, of course having both terminals would be preferable.

If it's regional they are almost on equal footing because they will both link LAX and the South Bay, where at San Pedro is the World Cruise Center a place where a number of travelers from LAX will go to set off on their cruises around the Pacific. Long Beach could work as a Regional Terminal given it's current anchor as a regional job center to the South Bay.

Last edited by Wright Concept; Jul 3, 2009 at 1:22 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation