HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:44 AM

covid is preventing us from checking it out but it is open!

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 4:00 PM

I'm always impressed with the long term vision of Seattle Link. It started way behind but it catching up to Skytrain at an impressive rate. East Link in 2023 is next to open I think? That will be a big one.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm always impressed with the long term vision of Seattle Link. It started way behind but it catching up to Skytrain at an impressive rate. East Link in 2023 is next to open I think? That will be a big one.
It's wierd with all the little satellite routes tying into the system but it makes sense with the geography of their cities.

Quote:
► 2022: Hilltop Tacoma Link Extension opens.

► 2023: East Link Extension opens.

► 2024: Lynnwood Link Extension, Downtown Redmond Link Extension, and Federal Way Link Extension open.

► 2030: Tacoma Dome Link Extension and West Seattle Link Extension open.

► 2031: South Boeing Access Road Infill Station and South Graham Street Infill Station open.

► 2035: Ballard Link Extension opens.

► 2036: Everett Link Extension opens.

► 2039: TCC Tacoma Link Extension opens.

► 2041: Issaquah–South Kirkland Link opens.
https://www.theurbanist.org/2017/08/...expansion-map/

https://www.theurbanist.org/2017/08/...expansion-map/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 8:24 PM

this video gives a good look into the neighborhoods now served, I've never seen those parts of Seattle so it's interesting to see, it's also interesting how both new underground stations have two separate entrances. The stations seem very cavernous and airy.

The guy in the video seems a little negative about it but happy at the same time.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 8:29 PM

Put away those breadcrumbs, feeding ducks will soon get you a hefty fine:

Feeding wildlife in Vancouver parks could now cost you
BY HANA MAE NASSAR AND GREG BOWMAN
Posted Oct 5, 2021

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – You could now be fined if you’re caught feeding wildlife in Vancouver.

The park board has officially amended its Parks Control & Ticket Offences Bylaw to include a possible fine of $500 for those “caught leaving or placing a food attractant that could attract wildlife or purposefully feeding wildlife in parks — including raccoons, rodents, coyotes & birds.”

In a tweet issued Monday, the board says the goal is to deter people from feeding wildlife both directly and inadvertently in the city’s parks....

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/10...ncouver-fines/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 9:00 PM

Granville island has signs that say feeding the birds is considered animal abuse, but still you see people do it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The park board has officially amended its Parks Control & Ticket Offences Bylaw to include a possible fine of $500 for those “caught leaving or placing a food attractant that could attract wildlife or purposefully feeding wildlife in parks — including raccoons, rodents, coyotes & birds.”
Rabbits aren't rodents, so it would appear I'm still in the clear.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Rabbits aren't rodents, so it would appear I'm still in the clear.
Just don’t be fooled by the squirrels.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Granville island has signs that say feeding the birds is considered animal abuse, but still you see people do it.
There's a guy in a BMW that shows up every day in the afternoon to one of the parking lot and dumps bags of bread for the seagulls.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 2:58 AM

Really wish we could get rid of all that goose shit in the summer. It's all over the parks and squished up on the seawalls.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Really wish we could get rid of all that goose shit in the summer. It's all over the parks and squished up on the seawalls.
More coyotes.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 6:59 AM

has anyone heard of this? you may be interested in entering

Retail in the 'hood? Urban planners, designers re-imagine a part of Coquitlam's Austin Heights

Registration for Urbanarium's The Mixing Middle competition closes Nov. 2.
Oct 18, 2021 2:00 PM By: Janis Cleugh

Quote:
Approved by the Architectural Institute of B.C., the open contest calls for ideas for how commercial enterprises such as corner stores, eateries and doctor’s offices could fit into single-family residential areas, offering more vitality as well as goods and services for the residents living there.

The winner of the best Urbanarium's design in Coquitlam, Surrey, Vancouver or North Vancouver will receive the grand prize of $10,000. Another $10,000 will be awarded by Urbanarium’s planners’ advisory committee that includes Genevieve Bucher, Coquitlam’s director of community planning who’s currently overseeing the city’s Southwest Housing Review.

The competition deadline is Nov. 2. The winners will be named in February.
https://www.tricitynews.com/local-ne...eights-4526439

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 7:06 AM

Vancouver is a little featured, I wonder how an approach like Amsterdam would work here? they have 40 40 20, 40% social housing, 40% mid-income and 20% market housing

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Vancouver is a little featured, I wonder how an approach like Amsterdam would work here? they have 40 40 20, 40% social housing, 40% mid-income and 20% market housing
I guess it would depend on what the profile of their "social" housing clients versus here in Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:

Video Link
In terms of bringing people back into the downtown core, Vancouver started out great in the 90s after the Expo. It has gone downhill ever since. Other cities may have started a little late, but they are improving by leaps and bounds, and in many ways better than Vancouver now. Toronto is such an example, where you can find social housing spread out throughout the city rather than concentrated on a few areas. Cities like Calgary and Montreal are also fast catching up when it comes to putting more people in the city centres. Other Metro Vancouver cities outside Vancouver may not have the 40 40 20 rule like Amsterdam's, but they are also doing their part, and that actually helps many working in downtown Vancouver not to have to move even further away.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:42 PM

The Below-Market Rental Housing Policy, MIRHPP, standard condo builds with social housing components, the upcoming Public Hearing on Nov. 2 on the Streamlined Rental Housing Policy (C zones and RS-RT changes) is close, but not really baked in in the majority of city area.

I don't know how the 40 / 40 / 20 model is funded, but currently I don't think it would work without major gov subsidies. Maybe 60% market 40% mid-income in a 6-storey replacing some RS lots.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:50 PM

Most of these changes are only possible due to the Province recently bringing in the "rental only" changes possible for municipalities, and, from what I've seen in other cities, policies like the proposed changes to the C-2, RS & RT, and form-based codes are the strongest best case / easiest.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:17 AM

I would be very wary of mixing very different housing types in one and the same building. Most people want to live with their socioeconomic peers, so I don't find a project mixing market condos and social housing a good idea. They have to be at least a separate building as us often the case.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I would be very wary of mixing very different housing types in one and the same building. Most people want to live with their socioeconomic peers, so I don't find a project mixing market condos and social housing a good idea. They have to be at least a separate building as us often the case.
There are dozens of buildings that have non-market and condos in the same building. Often it's the podium of a tower - there are three on the same block of Davie (Jervis and Mirabel). There are 200 units in Woodwards and there will be non-market units in Landmark (for example).

There are a lot of new towers in Burnaby and other municipalities that have, or will have a podium of non-market housing and a condo tower above. There are are also buildings where there is a market/non market rental building and they're mixed in together within the building, including tenants paying welfare rates right up to full market, including a tower in Coal Harbour.

There are Provincial rent supplement schemes to help low-income and welfare recipients live in market rental units; if you're in one of those buildings there's no way you could tell what socioeconomic strata your neighbour might be from.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
What impact would 20% condo tenants have on the other 80% of tenants in a building who are renters?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion