HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 4:34 AM

Took these two days ago on both 33rd & 30th.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 4:49 AM
New Yorker for life

That's the portion that will supposedly be saved by Related, incorporated into the massive Hudson Yards development over the railyards.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 7:46 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...until_2011.php

High Line's Next Section Not Opening Until 2011

Friday, April 2, 2010, by Sara

Quote:
High Line fans (of which there are now more than two million) were promised that Section 2, which stretches from 20th Street to 30th Street, would open sometime in 2010. But recent looks at the abandoned train tracks' makeover suggested it had a ways to go, and now DNAinfo brings the official word that Section 2 might not open until spring or summer 2011. What's the holdup? Money! Friends of the High Line needs $50 million in private funding to take care of Section 2 and set up a High Line endowment. They've got $44 million so far. Sounds like it's time to pick up some High Line t-shirts!

http://www.dnainfo.com/20100401/manh...shed-back-2011
High Line Second Section Opening Pushed Back to 2011

Adrian Benepe, Amanda Burden and Joshua David plant an eastern red bud tree with others in honor of the High Line's 2-millionth visitor.

April 1, 2010
By Nicole Breskin

Quote:
The planned fall opening of the second section of the High Line has been pushed back to 2011, officials said Thursday.

The park’s second stretch — running from 20th to 30th streets — was slated to open later this year after the initial section debuted last summer.

But Parks Department and High Line officials say that date could be pushed back to as late as the spring or summer of 2011.

“Fundraising is the biggest challenge,” said Joshua David, cofounder of the non-profit Friends of the High Line, which oversees maintenance and management of the park. “In the toughest fundraising year, in the 2009 calendar year, we expanded our staff and our budget. It’s an ongoing issue, but I’m eager and optimistic.”

“Great parks don’t come for free,” added Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe of the fundraising efforts. “This park had a huge private investment.”

Construction has continued on the second section during past six months, with work being completed on the park’s “great lawn” and a “woodland tree-top canopy walk,” officials noted.

“There will be a diverse set of experiences,” Benepe said at the event. “The High Line is and will continue to be one of the world’s most unusual parks.”

Friend of the High Line is currently working to secure $50 million in private funding for additional capital costs. So far, approximately $44 million has been raised.

The first of the High Line’s three sections, running from Gansevoort to 20th streets, opened in June 2009. The third section, which extends up to the Western Rail yards development site, is currently undergoing the city’s Uniform Land Use Review Procedure to allow the park to acquire the remaining rail tracks.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 12:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 12:47 PM

Are they really putting down new tracks? You know, they're trying too hard to make it look ancient.

I say out some tram tracks up there and make it a ride.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 3:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
Are they really putting down new tracks? You know, they're trying too hard to make it look ancient.

They're not putting up "new" tracks. The tracks had to be removed, and the site cleaned before they could make it a public park.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post

It's a fascinating urban artifact that gives continuity to the park and relates to its historical origins.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 10:07 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

i think the tracks add a nice touch to the park.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 6:48 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Hey, probably would be cool to see those tracks in service again, as some type of shuttle.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 7:08 AM
Salut tout le monde!

The High Line wasn't opened yet when I was in NYC in April 09, so this year, it was the first thing I wanted to see, it's really a great development!
Some shots I took... on, from it and around...

I love this district.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 7:51 AM

Nice pictures !
Interesting architecture as well, including the new building by Nouvel...

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 2:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post

Great photos. As you can see, there's still a lot to be done, but it's already one of the city's new jewels.

Construction above continues as well, a few photos from a couple of weeks ago...

As mentioned by Fabb, many great additions to the area...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...ing-city-hands

City Getting Control of Last Bit of High Line

By The Real Estate Desk
July 27, 2010

Quote:
The last pieces of the High Line are nearly under city control.

A City Council subcommittee today voted to allow the city to acquire the portion of the High Line—the former rail viaduct planned as parkland—north of 30th Street. This is the third of three segments of the High Line, which spans from the Meatpacking District north through Chelsea to West 34th Street.

Owned for years by freight railroad company CSX Transportation, it was unclear for a while who might own the final segment, which runs through the West Side rail yards (and is supposed to be part of any development that may happen there). But earlier this year, the Bloomberg administration began the aquisiton process, which requires consent of the Council.

In the short run, this doesn't mean much will change. The segment will still be abandoned and off limits, and no designs have been done. (The second segment is still under construction, scheduled to open next spring, and there is still no long-term funding model to maintain the park.) Taking the longer view, however, the move makes it easier to build it out.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 3:47 AM

I walked it when I was there 2 weeks ago. Fantastic concept and execution. Even in the middle of the city (granted, a fairly quiet part), it is a nice, relaxing place to get away. The views are great as well (old and new architecture).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 3:18 AM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...mps_broker.php

New Stairway to High Line Heaven

October 13, 2010, by Joey Arak

Quote:
The new staircase at 23rd Street for Phase II of the High Line that we've been keeping a close eye on has been installed. Phase II doesn't open until next spring, so no peeking! Those burly dudes will mess you up.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:01 PM

I was visiting NYC for the first time last week and snagged this shot. It looks like the next section is almost ready!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 12:08 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Looking good.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 10:59 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

High Line park is a glimpse into the future of cities.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 7:54 PM
Metal Up Your !

I've got a question. So the high lines are being made into neat parks, but what happens under the highline (next to the roads)? Do they leave it as ugly as before? I would much rather have them tear down the high line and just build parks on their footprints. I don't know though, maybe someone can shed some light for me.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I've got a question. So the high lines are being made into neat parks, but what happens under the highline (next to the roads)? Do they leave it as ugly as before? I would much rather have them tear down the high line and just build parks on their footprints. I don't know though, maybe someone can shed some light for me.
Well, a street level park in Manhattan at that location simply wouldn't work. The High Line is a right of way that passes various commercial and residential buildings. At street level, it would be something else, and wouldn't work as a continous park anyway because there are too many crosstreets. But there are a variety of uses planned for the spaces anyway (stores, restaurants, etc.) similar to what's planned for the space underneath the FDR and the new east river park there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development