HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 4:57 PM

I personally believe that if Trump gets his second term (and it seems like that's going to happen), than immigration will slow down, and after Trump, either it may be Pence, or some other Republican figure, may continue Trump's policies of lower immigration rates. I don't see immigration as a Republican or a Democratic issue, but I do see the fact that certain groups don't benefit from immigration, especially illegal immigration like millions of Black Americans who were bypassed in favor of illegal immigrants.

It's a catch-22 in that if you embrace immigration, your numbers will rise and if you don't, then you'll either be stagnant or your population will fall. Coastal cities like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, and even DC, and Miami have had high numbers of foreigners coming into those cities. In the Midwest, it seems like the only outlier is Chicago, and with lower numbers of Mexicans coming to Chicago recently, that's starting to affect Chicago's population and cause a decline.

I believe immigration is going to continue regardless of who's president, but it must be done the right way and it has to benefit everybody. With the wall being built, it's going to be harder for Mexicans to cross over that border, but I'm not sure how this affects Asians, considering that in Philadelphia, while we do have large Chinese and Indian populations, you also have a large Vietnamese and Cambodian population here as well.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 11:54 PM

For the Bay Area Asians are rapidly growing with Latinos declining but this is prior to the remote work exodus:

"Comparing the newly released 2019 Census Household Numbers vs 2017 Census on:
Race of households in the 5-county Bay Area.

White-only Households Downwards 19,200
Black-only Households Upwards 1,300
Latino-only Households Downwards5,700
Asian-only Households Upwards 29,600
Multiracial Households: Downwards 4,800"

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:57 PM

These are the countries with the biggest immigration gains and losses under Trump

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/count...130036197.html

"Between 2016 and 2019, the number of immigrants who became US permanent residents declined 13%—from over 1.18 million to 1.03 million. The biggest reductions were felt by Asian countries, where immigration fell 21% (from about 450,000 a year to about 350,000) while immigration from Central and South America increased 14% (from about 77,000 to more than 88,000)."

"Many of the countries with the most biggest drops in immigration are those with the largest immigrant populations in the US, including China, India, and Haiti."

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:03 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:04 PM

What impact will Joe Biden have on immigration from India?

https://www.indiatoday.in/news-analy...847-2021-02-10

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
That’s a very interesting movement we should look close. Britain might offset all losses from continental Europeans returnees replacing them with Hong Kongers.

And sadly, we’ll probably watch the dismiss of one of the most exciting metropolises in human history.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 5:28 PM

Right now it seems illegal immigration from Central America (Not Mexico) is very high but legal immigration from Asia is low due to the pandemic. Could take off again after 2022.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
As far as which immigrant groups will dominate, I think the NE and South will be Indian, Chinese and Diverse Latino. The Midwest will be Indian and Mexico/Central American and the West will be Filipino and Mexican/Central American. Of course there will be others, but the groups I listed will dominate.

After Central America, DR and Cuba are tapped, (within 20 years) Latin American immigration will be done. Brazil, Argentina and Chile will suck up immigrants from the rest of South America.

China will reach peak population in 2023. They will need immigrants by 2040 and I mean a lot, though they’ll have trouble finding them. The Mideast, now Japan and North America also tap SE Asia, so you will have competition there, although fertility rate declines will cause these countries to cease being people exporters by 2050.

South Asia will have excess population until about 2100. They will have high emigration until AI and automation advances cut it off, around 2040. This will be good for them because they will still have enough people to keep their economies humming along with a large diaspora sending remittances back home. China won’t have this advantage.

Africa will have a moderate sized diaspora by 2040, but would have missed the large emigration period the rest of the world had experienced. And let’s face it, there will be considerable resistance to large scale African immigration anywhere in the world (racism on steroids). This unfortunately, might isolate Africa more so, although it’s convenient geographical location should mitigate the effect.
I agree with this assessment. Non-Indian South Asian groups such as Pakistan and Nepal seem to be fast growing. Central Asia too.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 5:33 PM

Data shows Asian Americans are fastest growing community of color in US:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...of-color-in-us

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 9:09 PM

‘Fight or flight’: Indians mull moving abroad amid COVID crisis
Visa service providers say ‘unprecedented surge’ in people seeking immigration to other countries with better living and healthcare facilities.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...d-covid-crisis

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 11:25 PM

The U.S., if it has any self-interest, should immediately pluck the best/brightest out of India. We desperately need skilled labor and India has a massive oversupply. Bring it on.

Of course 30-40% of the country will cry about rapist brown people and open borders and Rajeev and Sayed stealing their jobs.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The U.S., if it has any self-interest, should immediately pluck the best/brightest out of India. We desperately need skilled labor and India has a massive oversupply. Bring it on.

Of course 30-40% of the country will cry about rapist brown people and open borders and Rajeev and Sayed stealing their jobs.
If I were a highly skilled Indian national, I would avoid the U.S. Especially if I'm older than mid-20s. The caps on green cards per year penalizes countries with a large proportion of nationals coming to the U.S. through the skilled worker programs. Indians, in particular, can expect to wait about 10-15 years to get a green card, which means their legal residency in the U.S. is directly tied to their employment throughout most of that time. People from some other countries can get green cards in 3-5 years, sometimes even faster.

I have several friends who moved to Canada and Europe from the U.S. in the past 2-3 years because of this reason. They'll be eligible for citizenship in those places before they could even think about permanent legal status in the U.S.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If I were a highly skilled Indian national, I would avoid the U.S. Especially if I'm older than mid-20s. The caps on green cards per year penalizes countries with a large proportion of nationals coming to the
Pay is much higher in U.S., and professional opportunities are generally better. For many, that's worth the additional wait. Of course it's much easier to get citizenship in other countries. But if you have an opportunity in Silcon Valley, it's really hard to turn that down for 1/2 or 1/3 pay in another country.

And I'm saying we should lift the caps, to mitigate this issue, and put us on par with competitor nations. But I think professional opportunities/compensation is driving this much moreso than fast citizenship.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
If I were a highly skilled Indian national, I would avoid the U.S. Especially if I'm older than mid-20s. The caps on green cards per year penalizes countries with a large proportion of nationals coming to the U.S. through the skilled worker programs. Indians, in particular, can expect to wait about 10-15 years to get a green card, which means their legal residency in the U.S. is directly tied to their employment throughout most of that time. People from some other countries can get green cards in 3-5 years, sometimes even faster.

I have several friends who moved to Canada and Europe from the U.S. in the past 2-3 years because of this reason. They'll be eligible for citizenship in those places before they could even think about permanent legal status in the U.S.
Does Canada have country caps? Country caps have the objective to preserve diversity and prevent one nation from dominating immigration, even though India is extremely culturally and ethnically diverse.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Does Canada have country caps? Country caps have the objective to preserve diversity and prevent one nation from dominating immigration, even though India is extremely culturally and ethnically diverse.
I don't think Canada caps by country of origin like the U.S. does.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I don't think Canada caps by country of origin like the U.S. does.
There were attempts to end caps in the US but the bill was supported by nefarious neoliberal types like Kamala Harris and Big Tech and there were concerns it could exclude people from smaller nations. However there is also a diversity visa lottery for immigration.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
There were attempts to end caps in the US but the bill was supported by nefarious neoliberal types like Kamala Harris and Big Tech and there were concerns it could exclude people from smaller nations. However there is also a diversity visa lottery for immigration.
Ending caps by nationality (without any other reforms) would substantially reduce the time for Indian and Chinese nationals, but drive up the wait times for just about every other nationality. The easy fix, actually, is to just prioritize each country up to the current cap, then open up the excess capacity from nationalities with less demand to nationalities with more demand. This would make it fair to other countries and also reduce the overall waits for countries with more migrants.

What's funny is if you're a Sri Lankan or Bangladeshi, you can get a U.S. green card much, much faster than an Indian national, even though 1) those countries are neighbors to India, and 2) India is the most advanced economy in the region.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:57 PM

Having caps based by ethnicity would be controversial but more beneficial to India as the ethnic differences between a Tamil and Punjabi, not to mention Indo Aryan Dardic peoples in Kashmir, are greater than that of Swede and Greek. Might be bad for China though, even if the monolithic Han identity is somewhat of a social construct.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 4:01 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
California's Asian population soars, new census data shows
ADAM BEAM, Associated Press
Aug. 12, 2021

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California's Asian population grew by 25% in the past decade, making it the fastest growing ethnic group in the nation's most populous state, according to new data from the U.S. Census Bureau released Thursday.

California's white population plummeted by 24% between 2010 and 2020, confirming California is one of three states — along with New Mexico and Hawaii — where whites are not the largest ethnic group.

Hispanics surpassed whites as California's largest ethnic group in 2014. The Census data show California's Hispanic population grew by 11% to 15.5 million people, making up just shy of 40% of the state's nearly 40 million residents.

But it was the Asian population that had the biggest percentage gain over the past decade. California now has more than 6 million people of Asian descent — more than the total population of most other states.

Ten years ago, none of California's 58 counties counted Asians as their largest ethnic group. Now, two do: Alameda County, which includes the cities of Oakland and Berkeley, and Santa Clara County, home to San Jose — the nation's 10th most-populous city — and the technology capitol of Silicon Valley.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...P-CP-Spotlight

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Asian Plurality in two California Counties (Santa Clara and Alameda) for the first time. No majority Asian Counties but increase in Asian Majority California Cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions