HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 9:04 PM

They put in "protected" bike lanes on Hardy in Tempe, I absolutely refuse to ride in them, they're a death trap.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 9:12 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
They put in "protected" bike lanes on Hardy in Tempe, I absolutely refuse to ride in them, they're a death trap.
Tempe has gotten creative at the expense of safety with its avant-garde designs for bicycle infrastructure. Both the University Drive and Hardy projects haven't turned out well. That doesn't mean, however, that all protected bike lanes should be avoided. Plenty of other cities, including Tucson, have implemented more sensible designs.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 11:09 PM

Arthaus Condos are listed for sale with pictures:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
This article touches on our discussions regarding midtown Phoenix gaining all these mid-rise apartment units and how it can begin to affect life in the area.

With all this multi-family activity, how will central Phoenix look when everybody moves in?

http://roselawgroupreporter.com/2015...body-moves-in/
Thanks for the link; that's nicely written. I'll piggyback with a few highlights.
Posted by Philip Haldiman, Editor-in-Chief | Dealmaker / May 27, 2015
Quote:
Infill development within the central corridor is in full swing, particularly multi-family, which experts say will lead to a more diverse and vibrant urban core.

Additionally, Dan Klocke, vice president of development for Downtown Phoenix Partnership, told Dealmaker the multi-family activity will draw Millennials... “I think all these new apartments will attract a lot of young people,” Klocke said. “This becomes really attractive for newer companies interested in that demographic for their workforce.”
Near and dear to my heart he goes on...
Quote:
People want to live, work and play in one place, he said.

“People are interested in a city with an active street scape, with shaded walkways, where you can walk, where you can hop on a bike or the light rail and not have to drive as historically you used to,” Stephenson said. “That trend is continuing and will lead to more people downtown.”
I recently came across a recent, nifty video on Vimeo entitled "America's Love Affair With Great City Streets" by STREETFILMS.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:15 AM

Who knew?
Moving Day for CO+HOOTS was in November of 2012 according to Miguel Otarola at Downtown Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ A co-working space called The Office Pile recently opened up next to the Sheridan Square (houses The Main Ingredient, Humble Pie Pizza, the Pie Hole, and Sutra Midtown Yoga) at 7th St and Sheridan. It's in a former 1930s Fur shop/warehouse.
Tim Gallen, Phoenix Business Journal has the story.
Quote:
Metro Phoenix is home to four of the top 100 coworking spaces in the country.

So says a recent listing from Symmetry50, a firm that specializes in small business bookkeeping.
So how high did they rank?
Quote:
Phoenix coworking space Co+Hoots was the highest ranking of the four, landing at No. 2 on the list.

Not far behind was The Office Pile, also in Phoenix, which ranked at No. 5.
LINK

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:15 AM
E pluribus unum

Just as an aside, but if anyone's ever seen "The Room," Philip Haldiman played Denny. He recently worked for the Republic but was cut in the last round of layoffs.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
This^!
I generally go with the flow; something is better than nothing certainly.

OTOH, Jjs5056 makes a good point. With limited opportunity for more dense development a key area and/or along Central could benefit from some 8/10 story buildings. In fact I'd take them mixed in with the 4/5 story buildings.

In any event it's fair to disagree with Jjs5056's opinion (I have); it's also worth reading.... IMO.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
None of us are actually right and yes they are both opinions, but you barely allow the print to dry on something and you have picked apart any it's perceived value to shreds all the while presuming we should all agree with you that some uptopian Sim City version of something should be built on every damn parcel is tiresome. A simple, 'lets see how this pans out for a change, might be refreshing for a change.' Jeesh.
Others shared theirs on the project based on renderings, and much of what we discussed is based on renderings given how long it takes for development to happen. The "anything is better than dirt lots" perspective had already been mentioned, so I thought discussing "is anything better than dirt lots when it comes to such important lots?" would be somewhat interesting since between this and The Muse, we are seeing lowrise projects being built on prime real estate now, not just on infill lots or side streets.

I don't, however, presume anyone should agree with what I consider ideal. Much of what I wrote in this case was in the form of a question, or preceeded by "I think..." I don't write something with the goal of hearing "yes!" from everyone; I'm just adding my perspective/questions to the discussion and like to hear others' thoughts, whether or not they are the same as mine.

I mentioned that the project has many positive features that could encourage a more urban neighborhood to form with all the other projects on/around Camelback and Central. So, I definitely have a "let's see how this pans out" mentality toward it and think it would be great if it did fill in with a good variety of retail, restaurants, and services so that at least one part of Midtown can function as a real neighborhood for residents.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:43 PM

RE: The ArtHAUS renderings, I like the trend seen in projects like this and Portland on the Park where there is a mix in the type of residential units built. I think that goes a long way toward making them more pedestrian-scaled (by breaking up what could otherwise be a large area filled with a building of 1 height) and "urban"-feeling on the street (by placing townhomes with walk-ups at the street and less engaging units in the center). I think it will also help the project's success, as I don't think there is a standout preference between townhomes vs. loft vs. traditional condo unit.

I wish more detailed renderings of The Muse were available, because I think this would have been a much better approach to the site than what looks to be 3 similarly-designed buildings of equal height (4 stories). For example: a taller tower near the McDowell/Central intersection, with commercial + 4 stories of lofts along Central, and 3 story townhomes/live-work units along McDowell and 1st Ave.

In general, Phoenix sucks compared to Tempe in terms of accessible documents like site plans, proposals, etc. Alta Fillmore is another I'm interested in seeing, since last time it was written about, the developer was still planning on surrounding the entire thing with a protective wall and not including any pedestrian access points.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:48 PM

The retail at Roosevelt Point on the corner of 4th St/Roosevelt will be a salon as someone guessed several weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/ilovepublic...ation=ufi&_rdr

"Public Image is taking 2877 square feet. That's everything east of the lobby. We will have 5 barbers, 10 hairdressers, nail artists, estheticians, licensed massage therapists and more."

Hmm... not much to say - not a great use, not a terrible use. More services in the area are a good thing and filling out any part of Roosevelt Point is encouraging. I just wish it had some sort of twist to make it a unique place... like maybe having a beer/wine license for a bar and to serve patrons? IDK.

Someone heard a liquor store was opening on Roosevelt, and indeed one is. Flower Wine and Beer, same owners of Jobot, will be opening at 501 E Roosevelt. Too bad the Bodega closed across the street; this area would've been a nice place for neighborhood services. I can't recall if there are any more vacancies in this exact building, but a small hardware/paint/housewares store would be a great addition.

I really, really hope the land across the street (Canvas - Bodega) sells during this wave of building... live/work units there would create such a great streetscape from 7th - 7th. On one hand, I hope the Alliance Rumors are true because they've shown that they build almost every project they propose and they're high quality, but I'm nervous it will turn out more like their apartments at the Biltmore. I don't think they'd be a great bet for choosing an adaptive reuse strategy and saving the Canvas building, either.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Jun 3, 2015 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:51 PM

Center 8 Townhomes Planned for 8th Avenue

More infill coming to Roosevelt, West of 7th Ave. Sucks that it's gated

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...or-8th-avenue/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
More infill coming to Roosevelt, West of 7th Ave. Sucks that it's gated

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...or-8th-avenue/

Nothing like a false sense of security. "Gated" is certainly much more a part of the Phoenix DNA than other places.

I did enjoy this quote:
Quote:
“In the last few years, a multi-campus influx of college students and new light rail connectivity has downtown Phoenix rising from the economic downturn as a vibrant new business center and creative hub. The mushrooming arts, dining, and entertainment scene in downtown Phoenix ushers in a whole new dynamic in real estate values, and creates the need for much sought after urban living space,” says Ken Johnson, Vice President of Strategic Marketing for Center 8 builder, Landmark Homes USA.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 6:15 PM

That's too bad that it will be gated; unless Wood Partners was convinced otherwise, Alta Fillmore across the street will also be gated and separated completely from the street by a wall. Sorry for another opinion that is more negative than positive, but these are the type of project that Phoenix is better without and should expect better than. Yes, the area isn't entirely gentrified or as even as clean as other parts of downtown, but buying land with that knowledge should mean that the proposed project's goal is to contribute to the revitalization of the neighborhood.

Gated/walled-off projects keep the priority on the automobile and even inhibit residents from engaging in the street or neighborhood other than driving within it. They're complete deadzones that don't enhance the surrounding pedestrian experience, and they continue to stall the revitalization of the neighborhood by promoting the idea that the area is unsafe by "protecting" residents from the surroundings, and creating massive deadzones that do nothing to help the perception of safety nearby - who wants to walk in a traditionally sketchy neighborhood when the new complex just ahead is completely walled off, creating a long stretch in their route that has no 'eyes on the street'?

Jump-starting development on the west side of downtown with a large project like Alta, and connecting Roosevelt Row with Grand Ave with homeowners could have been really great. And, Alta is even more disappointing considering the potential dense, urban neighborhood that could be built adjacent to it via the City's RFP.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 7:57 PM

"The wall" seems to be a Phoenix thing. I did a deep dive on a new project on 16th Street (IIRC) and the wall seemed to be what the neighborhood demanded. None of Wood Partner's Denver projects have walls. They're all wrap-around and inward looking but at least they present a nice street edge. While they build a quality product, they definitely aren't inspiring.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Well of course, Denver does it right. I should have guessed.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 9:48 PM

mdpx... I don't really follow Wood Partners product around the country but you're welcome to check out what they build HERE.

Most national builders will have a basic DNA but will also typically work with well regarded local architects, legal team and contractors. That way they get a quality product that fits local customs and styles.

Wood Partners like Alliance Res. (to name a couple) prefer a very solid location (especially Alliance Res.) but are also able to view things from a wider angle, what with their national experience. Both obviously have access to tons of capital. There are reasons for this.

Gated and walled construction does seem to be more of a Phoenix thing IMO. I'll agree with Jjs5056 that neither is particularly preferable in an urban setting. That said, the specific site/area may mitigate some of that.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 11:13 PM

Midweek Musing

Yikes... Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal has their lead story today.
Arizona ranks dead last in teacher pay, classroom spending
Quote:
Arizona spends the fewest dollars per student in the U.S. on classroom instruction, teacher pay and school administration, according to a new report out today from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The Census report also shows Arizona has the lowest amount of K-12 school funding from state sources. The report is based in 2013 data.
Sometimes a visual is much more helpful so I found the following at census.gov.
But at least the state is cutting taxes for the corporate and executive crowd with more on the way and transferring a heavier burden to the cities.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:17 AM

Saying that the walls/gates are a "Phoenix thing" is oversimplifying it. If all all residential projects in Phoenix included them because of local demand, the desert environment, unique climate challenges, etc. that would be fair. But, developers would be building identical projects in any downtown location with the characteristics of ~7th Ave/Roosevelt. Phoenix has been slow to catch onto the shift toward urban living so, naturally, any investment is going to carry risks that don't exist in established markets.

For a developer who wants to make a quick buck during this boom cycle, and owns land in a rough part of downtown, these projects are perfect. The central location will still appeal to urban-lovers, the focus on auto-generated traffic will appeal to those who still want the convenience of suburban travel, and the gates will offer safety to those uneasy about making the transition. In reality, there's nothing urban about a lifestyle that is isolated from the surrounding city. These will eventually look as out of place as St. Croix or The Met.

I'm not sure why developers who don't believe in the potential of an area would choose to assemble land there given how many other, safer options exist. Had Wood not bought this site, it would have been purchased by the City, included in the massive RFP, and likely stood a chance to be part of a new, truly urban neighborhood that could have enhanced connectivity with Lower Grand and contributed to the continued revitalization on the southwest side.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:20 AM

Wood has shown it will develop more urban-oriented projects in "safer" locations within central Phoenix. It's crazy to me that the developer behind Skyline Lofts is the same proposing a walled-off project inside downtown's boundaries. Nothing they've built since has been as impressive, but even the proposed Alta Thomas is more appropriate and has street entrances into individual units and common areas.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:58 AM

I don't think st croix look all that out of place, actually it's far more urban in my eyes then the other suburban style complexes downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest