two new Ogden & Fry polls from this past weekend,

3/20/15

rahm - 55.8%
chuy - 44.2%

3/21/15

rahm - 48.5%
chuy - 32.1%
undec. - 18.4%
Thanks, I meant to post this. I think as the campaign continues, it is becoming obvious to voters that Chuy offers nothing. Did you see that release of his economic plan for Chicago?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 9:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think as the campaign continues, it is becoming obvious to voters that Chuy offers nothing.
the polls certainly seem to be showing that the momentum is on rahm's side right now.

chuy is going to reopen all of the closed schools and hire a thousand new police officers all while cutting taxes and eliminating annoying sources of city revenue (red light cameras).

chuy reminds me of pedro from napolean dynamite: "vote for me and all of your wildest dreams will come true".

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the polls certainly seem to be showing that the momentum is on rahm's side right now.

chuy is going to reopen all of the closed schools and hire a thousand new police officers all while cutting taxes and eliminating annoying sources of city revenue (red light cameras).

chuy reminds me of pedro from napolean dynamite: "vote for me and all of your wildest dreams will come true".
There is a large contingent of Rahm haters out there, but I think reality is taking hold with most voters. Chuy offers nothing but lies.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 9:07 PM
You had me at herro...

I went down and voted today and then handed in my BF's mail-in ballot (I requested it for him and sat there and watched him fill it out, then took it downtown and dropped it off).

The place was busy, it was super fast, but people were walking up nonstop to fill in their name and then get their ballot card. I was surprised and impressed.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 4:45 PM

Moral Bankruptcy Of Chicago's Elites

Quote:
As the city approaches financial bankruptcy, Chicago’s elite’s line-their-pockets with taxpayer money.
Here’s what we found: 600 city vendors gave Emanuel $7 million in campaign cash during the past four years and received $2 billion in city payments since 2002. And here’s how we found that data: We looked at a universe of 1,500 companies or their affiliated employees funding Rahm Emmanuel’s campaign since 2010. We then matched those company names with payments from the City of Chicago vendor checkbook. It’s a confluence of campaign cash and contractor payments or benefits.
Overall, our findings led to two conclusions: pay-to-play is still legal in Chicago and Rahm Emanuel has complete control of the entire corrupt Daley political machine. In all the examples identified above, the individual transactions are probably completely legal at arm’s length, but the patterns are troubling. But there’s a deeper problem. Our so-called leaders are funding a decadent and corrupt machine that exists to serve themselves rather than the city. The players are extracting extreme and undue profits as the city careens into financial insolvency. Residents face bleak futures while the players enjoy bright futures. The fact that Chicago is famous for this “machine” is disgraceful.
The hard truth is our elites – business and civic leaders – have sold the city out. While they strip the city of needed funds with their no-bid, non-competitive contracts for millions of dollars, they recycle a portion back into politics by funding the political machine that is designed to protect their own positions.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^Because that will be lessened or eliminated completed under Chuy Garcia.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:12 PM

i dont like Chuy much. i also dont feel Emmanuel represents my interests at all.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:27 PM
The City

^ I don't care too much about my personal interests when it comes to public officials such as the Mayor of Chicago. I think that's the problem with people these days, they want Government to solve their problems. Especially all those clergy on the south side bitching about "Why doesn't the city invest down here?" or "Where are all the jobs?" as if it's somehow Rahm Emanuel has the ability to wave a magic wand and POOF 100,000 manufacturing jobs return from China back to Chicago.

Sure, I don't like high taxes and I think city services are important, but in the big picture the most important job of the Mayor of Chicago in 2015 (in my opinion) is to not let Chicago lose ground to other global cities by encouraging more investment, all while still balancing the need to provide essential services to city residents and investing in important infrastructure.

It's not rocket science. But the vested interests and unfortunate deals made in the past (the parking lease, gilded pensions for public employee unions) make it incredibly difficult.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I don't care too much about my personal interests when it comes to public officials such as the Mayor of Chicago.
all politics is local. if you're not supporting someone who serves as a mouthpiece for things you care about in a community, then who will?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 7:08 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I have a number of primarily white, upper-income bracket acquaintances and pseudofriends, all flannel-wearing neo-hippies whose flagrant ignorance about a LOT of issues in Chicago betrays their collective west suburban, bedroom community provenance and all I've been hearing from them since November is 'anyone but Rahm', 'Rahm is a failure'....even though one of them knew nothing about Chuy Garcia, except that he's a 'refreshing new politician with lots of cool ideas.' Needless to say, my doctor said my eyeballs would fly out of my eye-sockets if I keep rolling them as often or as hard as I do...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 7:51 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I have a number of primarily white, upper-income bracket acquaintances and pseudofriends, all flannel-wearing neo-hippies...
^ If you're wearing flannel you're not a hippie, you're this guy:

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 7:54 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ If you're wearing flannel you're not a hippie, you're this guy:

Um, no I wasn't talking about gay bears from about 20 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
"$2 billion in city payments since 2002"

So let's look at this statement for a second. First of all, $2 billion in payments doesn't not equate to anywhere near $2 billion in profits. Let's assume a hefty 25% margin on this "$2 billion in payments". So we are really talking about $500 million in profits to these people max spread over 12 years. So we are talking about $45 million a year on a $3.25 billion a year budget. This is a tiny fraction of spending and that assumes that it is all corrupt and "pay to play" and that in no circumstance did one of these donors win contracts simply by having the lowest and best bid. If any portion (let's say half) of these contracts are legitimate winning bids by people who just happened to donate money (which most players in these industries do regardless of whether they are getting a contract or not) we are talking about a fraction of 1% of the total budget here is likely true "pay to play" contracts. If that's all the corruption going on here then I'm frankly thrilled...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:52 PM

Chuy seems to be getting desperate, he was rude and combative in the debate last night. He offers no solutions, but he's from the neighborhood! His campaign is funded by the public employee unions, which will be required to give a lot if the City is to avoid bankruptcy. Is Chuy really going to push hard on the unions? I doubt it. And looking at his record, he loves taxes. The taxes required to pay for the unions will be astronomical, hurting the "neighborhood" people harder than the rich.

Last edited by Vlajos; Mar 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 4:19 PM

I was talking with my coworkers about the election (I'm not yet a U.S citizen so I can't vote). Once of my coworkers said that he had voted for Chuy. When I asked why, he said "anyone by Rahm". He even said that if he had to vote for Wilson just to get Rahm out of office he would..I then asked him why, he said "because Rahm is so arrogant"

He failed to mention one single plan from Chuy. It was upsetting that someone would vote without having facts about who they are voting for, but more upsetting was that most of my coworkers didn't even vote. The apathy in this country is appalling

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 8:21 PM

The neighborhood talk reminds me of Mr. Rogers everytime he say it!
Rahm is from the neighborhood too, he is practically my neighbor!
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, Wont you be my neighbor!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 8:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltorres View Post
I was talking with my coworkers about the election (I'm not yet a U.S citizen so I can't vote). Once of my coworkers said that he had voted for Chuy. When I asked why, he said "anyone by Rahm". He even said that if he had to vote for Wilson just to get Rahm out of office he would..I then asked him why, he said "because Rahm is so arrogant"

He failed to mention one single plan from Chuy. It was upsetting that someone would vote without having facts about who they are voting for, but more upsetting was that most of my coworkers didn't even vote. The apathy in this country is appalling
Funny, I guess it's all about perspectives, but I find the actions of labor unions (particularly the CTU back when they went on strike) to be just as arrogant as Rahm is accused of being.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 8:54 PM

On the debate every issue Chuy discusses he say he's going to listen to the community to tell him what to do. Talk about a NIMBY field day if he wins. Are we electing someone to govern the city, and not pander to every complainer about every little issue. Don't we have to sometimes make decisions based on the good of the overall city, and not just someone who complains loudly.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 7:41 PM

Fioretti endorses Rahm:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...329-story.html

Even the pander king gets it... Or he just wants a job...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

two new Ogden & Fry polls from this past weekend. not a whole lot has changed, but rahm has inched upwards a couple of points in the push poll, which bodes well for him because the undecideds seem to be breaking his way.

3/27/15

rahm - 57.9%
chuy - 42.1%

3/28/15

rahm - 47.6%
chuy - 34.2%
undec. - 18.3%

source: http://www.ogdenfry.com/polls/2015Mayoral6.pdf

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest