HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:00 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I do hate those commie blocks that were erected en masse across the city in the '60s.... Toronto should have taken a lesson from a city like Barcelona

You mean like this? https://goo.gl/maps/u93JDMcKAE44abxK8

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:01 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Trellick tower

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:02 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Marseille has some of the widest (longest?) buildings I have ever seen

wikipedia

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:39 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Trellick Tower isn't attractive, but it is extremely interesting and atmospheric. Almost like sci-fi art of an alternate timeline.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 5:22 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Is there a city Vinoly hasn't wrecked?
Chicago.

I really, really like his lone big tower here in the Windy City.

NEMA Chicago (yeah, the name is totally fucking stupid, but that ain't Vinoly's fault):

Source: https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...-chicago/21954

It's so damn Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 7:13 AM
if I sang out of tune

It's lovely, and what I've always thought of as a new take on the Willis Building -just wish he'd build like that elsewhere.

This is his wonder of the ages, opposite the iconic Marble Arch. He designed this in 2018 believe it or not.

And thank God he didnt get his way with Battersea Power Station

His first scheme, ugly AF

Second scheme, blank walls obscure the iconic building from all angles

Though the horrendous building at right got done - now a blank wall that blocks off what was once a great view for millions of commuters over the bridge. One of London's largest buildings and icons entirely hidden.

Last edited by muppet; Nov 27, 2022 at 9:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:58 AM

Talking about London, I dislike all random highrises in the West End. All of them.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 11:32 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
London's joke architecture, such as the walkie-talkie and the giant dildo at 30 St. Mary Axe, not to mention the Ass-Missle Orbit (or however you pronounce that) giant metal hemorrhoid... They make the city look like something out of the 1989 Batman movie. London is one of my favorite places on earth and I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could, but seriously... My God, seriously...

Quote:
But seriously, talk about a blot on the landscape. Is there a city Vinoly hasn't wrecked?:

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 1:06 PM

The aesthetic of the London skyline reminds me of the hats of the royal family.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 1:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binour View Post
The aesthetic of the London skyline reminds me of the hats of the royal family.

dlisted

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 2:09 PM

Thanks MolsonExport. You understood what I meant.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 7:18 PM
if I sang out of tune

How very dare you!

and cmaawn it's not that bad, most of the skyscrapers are boring AF - also Gherkin's disappeared, surrounded by taller buildings on every side. There was actually a call to enshrine it as yet another protected view (the city has 14 that no other highrise is allowed to impinge upon)

Also the main skyline (Canary Wharf) is quite blocky

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 8:17 PM
video et taceo

Sometimes you grow into it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
No, I mean like the below, of course. Block after block of this style. Claustrophobically dense and endlessly repetitive, but more aesthetically agreeable than commie blocks.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:08 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
How very dare you!

and cmaawn it's not that bad, most of the skyscrapers are boring AF - also Gherkin's disappeared, surrounded by taller buildings on every side. There was actually a call to enshrine it as yet another protected view (the city has 14 that no other highrise is allowed to impinge upon)

Also the main skyline (Canary Wharf) is quite blocky

nope, its bad. at least they erected hudson yards on an old rail yard, not in the middle of a the medieval center

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:05 PM
if I sang out of tune

Lol, medieval centre? You do know the financial centres sprouted from bombsites right? London was as heavily bombed as Berlin (1.2 million made homeless, 1.1 million buildings destroyed or damaged), but because it was such a large city it took 9 months day and night to destroy a third of it, thus able to 'absorb' the damage.

Same area today - if you look carefully at the buildings they're actually new builds that have incorporated the surviving history into the fabric

Last edited by muppet; Nov 25, 2022 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Sometimes you grow into it.

I didn't recognized it. Where is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
About those European and North American 20th century highrises, I really dislike them. Brazilian ones are far from being great, but those up there look specially ugly, cold, cheap and depressing.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
No, I mean like the below, of course. Block after block of this style. Claustrophobically dense and endlessly repetitive, but more aesthetically agreeable than commie blocks.

Eixample is great. I visited Barcelona recently, and I really appreciated this urban density. While the overall design is uniform, the individual buildings aren't.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:46 PM
if I sang out of tune

And au contraire, it's precisely what makes the district so utterly unique -everywhere you look is contrast, and a gazillion hidden corners. I'm not a fan of the area (used to work there) but I have to say it is an absolute architectural wonderland, despite the corporatism and greed, despite that it looks messy by air, it's a dream at street level, which everything is designed to be experienced from. You literally get 2,000 year old Roman buildings segueing into skyscrapers, and everything in between - 90 churches almost 400 years old, and 50 even older, Roman walls and temples, protected alleyways, endless street art, secret parks, historic ruins and gorgeous pubs. Barely anyone is allowed to live there - simultaneously the oldest and newest district, the busiest and quietest (560,000 per sq mile by day, falling to 3,000 by night).

It is actually run by a notoriously strict planning committee under the infamous Peter Rees, who demands street interaction and a lot of details. Everything gets redesigned to make the multinationals trade off to the public realm - public gardens, ground floor shops, commissioned art, even markets or museums.

Almost every building has something for the public. My lunchstop was sometimes The Leadenhall (aka the Cheesegrater) which has markets and streetvans inside their very open foyer.

Bloomberg, where my other half worked has a museum on the Roman Temple of Mithras in its basement, plus a public walkway bisecting the building to shortcut it to the station

My former offices, 1 Fen Court had public roof gardens, and a short cut street for much of its ground floor, with ceiling video art

Last edited by muppet; Nov 26, 2022 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 11:45 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

Yeah, except what I posted was what Barcelona (and every other city) was actually building in the 60s and 70s.

I don't see why Toronto's post-war planners would have instead imitated a 19th century city plan - as nice as that would've been.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions