HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 10:47 PM

Permits Issued For 1620 Sansom Street

Quote:
Just yesterday, YIMBY shared a construction update for 1620 Sansom Street in Rittenhouse Square, Center City, showing that the garage has been fully demolished. Coincidentally, later that same day, commercial building permits were issued for the tower, the last legal hurdle before the tower can rise. Interestingly, based on the permits, the development appeared to have been upgraded with a slightly larger height and additional residential units. While initial proposals stated that the tower would rise 27 stories tall, permits show the number has been increased to 28, with an increase in residential unit count from 298 to 306. Commercial space will still be situated on the ground floor. The permit lists the floor space at 376,500 square feet and construction costs estimated at $73.9 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/06/1620...ts-issued.html

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:38 PM

Game Changer.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:49 PM
Chris

What is new height? The image is blurry?

Nice looking building too, similar shape to Cathedral Square Phase 1, but more interesting materials.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:15 AM

I am definitely still seeing 320 to the main roof, not counting approximately 20 feet of elevator box above that. It looks like a great facade so it will be a beautiful infill

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:01 PM
Philly Pholly

Can't wait for this one to start rising.
Great density and really fits this neighborhood perfectly.
Infuse the neighborhood with more well-healed residents.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 11:00 PM

Full steam ahead on this one, lots of activity:

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 8:35 PM

I wonder what it costs to get the permit to close the whole street down for several years? I can't remember this happening before in CC on a through street. Great project.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 6:06 PM

Excavation Underway At 1620 Sansom Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/08/exca...nter-city.html

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I wonder what it costs to get the permit to close the whole street down for several years? I can't remember this happening before in CC on a through street. Great project.
The street is already closed from 15-16 for the restaurant shantytown so I’m sure that made 16-17 easier to close

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:23 AM
Philly Pholly

and BAM!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 9:07 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
The street is already closed from 15-16 for the restaurant shantytown so I’m sure that made 16-17 easier to close
I was strolling around the city this weekend, and I like the no car Sansom. All the restaurant setups give off a European city vibe (with a touch of grunge).

But this new building will majorly improve that block of Sansom.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I was strolling around the city this weekend, and I like the no car Sansom. All the restaurant setups give off a European city vibe (with a touch of grunge).

I'd be great if they figured out how to clear the dumpsters on Sansom.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

I really wish the city would allow the restaurants to keep their structures up permanently or at least for a few years but sadly it looks like they’ll be coming down early next year.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
I really wish the city would allow the restaurants to keep their structures up permanently or at least for a few years but sadly it looks like they’ll be coming down early next year.
I'm a proponent of outdoor dining, including closing streets to traffic/parking to accommodate it. That being said, I find most of the "covid sheds" to be eyesores.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I'm a proponent of outdoor dining, including closing streets to traffic/parking to accommodate it. That being said, I find most of the "covid sheds" to be eyesores.
Some look good like 18th st but there are some like that block of sansom that look pretty bad. If they made them permanent however there would be some regulation and planning along with them and I would assume inspections. The first round of current structures were built before permits were even filed and there have been very few if any inspections. None of the rules the city put forth for outside dining during the pandemic were followed, that block of sansom being a good example.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 6:32 PM

The solution is really simple, just copy Stone Street in NYC. Add some pavers, uniform tables and hanging lights and BOOM you have a European street scene.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
The solution is really simple, just copy Stone Street in NYC. Add some pavers, uniform tables and hanging lights and BOOM you have a European street scene.
You don't need "pavers" - original cobblestones are underneath nearly every street in Center City. Just take up the asphalt, and voila.

It's not really about ambiance - it's about making $$ in the winter months. Most of the "sheds" have HVAC systems with heating for use year round. I agree with other posters - that some of the sheds are poorly done, but there are a lot - especially around Rittenhouse - that are really nice.

And beyond aesthetics - economics play a big role as well. During the winter months, Rouge was able to basically double it's standard (Pre-Covid) capacity with it's outdoor setup that was modeled after a Swiss Lodge - with Adirondack chairs, thick blankets, and fire pits everywhere. It was great chilling on Rittenhouse Square in January and slurping back a Manhattan, and for post-pandemic rouge it seems like a no-brainer to be able to expand its capacity so dramatically for nearly half the year.

I will also add that if they do become permanent - I agree that the city will be develop design standards/rules/codes that will need to be adhered to.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 2:10 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
You don't need "pavers" - original cobblestones are underneath nearly every street in Center City. Just take up the asphalt, and voila.

It's not really about ambiance - it's about making $$ in the winter months. Most of the "sheds" have HVAC systems with heating for use year round. I agree with other posters - that some of the sheds are poorly done, but there are a lot - especially around Rittenhouse - that are really nice.

And beyond aesthetics - economics play a big role as well. During the winter months, Rouge was able to basically double it's standard (Pre-Covid) capacity with it's outdoor setup that was modeled after a Swiss Lodge - with Adirondack chairs, thick blankets, and fire pits everywhere. It was great chilling on Rittenhouse Square in January and slurping back a Manhattan, and for post-pandemic rouge it seems like a no-brainer to be able to expand its capacity so dramatically for nearly half the year.

I will also add that if they do become permanent - I agree that the city will be develop design standards/rules/codes that will need to be adhered to.
Agreed on Rouge being a great example of how to make a good winter aesthetic. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other restaurants that did anything like them, but hopefully this winter we'll see some more creative solutions like they did. There's definitely a market for that sort of thing, and I think it could be a success in other parts of the city where there's more space (I'm thinking Manayunk/Roxborough and Chestnut Hill in particular).

As to whether they'll be permanent, currently they all expire at the end of this calendar year, but there will likely be a bill introduced later this year (once City Council is back in session, which I think is now/soon?) that will make them permanent. But who knows if that will pass, or what.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 4:07 PM

Construction cam up for this.

Assuming that means we can officially move this to under construction soon.

https://www.thelaurelrittenhouse.com/live-feed/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Construction cam up for this.

Assuming that means we can officially move this to under construction soon.

https://www.thelaurelrittenhouse.com/live-feed/
Outstanding! That will be a fun camera angle to follow. Right now, the best part is when you focus on the UCity horizon, it is littered with cranes!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction