HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I honestly prefer AT&T 10 S Canal over it. At least that brutalist POS is ugly due to the important function it serves, as a massive switching station and server farm.
10 South Canal, built as AT&Ts Long Lines building, is a telecommunications central office. . . calling it a switching station is an oversimplification, but I'm ok with that. . . definitely NOT a server farm. . . [/nitpick]

. . .

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ Wow, that's fantastic news! Those are all brand new jobs, that will bring people to the city/metro. Love it!
Yes, and since they will be opening a pretty big office that means there should be a number of transfers in from within the company to Chicago to get the office rolling the right way - probably a number from NYC is my guess and probably London where their international HQ is. They also have offices in Singapore, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Shanghai, Korea, etc. I'd hope that if you have 1500 new employees, that around or more than 100 are internal transfers to get the ball rolling at the new office and a lot of them would be international hopefully. Probably more though in reality...which is great.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:20 PM
1st Ward

Thanks for the clarification, Tom

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:21 PM
THAT Guy

Uh WPP is made up of a bunch of subsidiary companies which already have offices in Chicago. They are just consolidating all (or many) of those existing offices and jobs.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Uh WPP is made up of a bunch of subsidiary companies which already have offices in Chicago. They are just consolidating all (or many) of those existing offices and jobs.
Yeah they do own a lot of companies - the article I saw mentioned just WPP, not any of the subsidiary company like Ogilvy, GroupM, etc. So either they are opening actual more corporate office and not anything specific to something like GroupM or the article was wrong and too general and you're correct. In that case, even if it's a consolidation, it's an interesting move of those jobs to a newer business type of area that is West Loop.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 8:23 PM

^ Not to get off track but for clarification
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...13-column.html

Its a consolodation...not new employees much...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 8:24 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Okay so 333 N Green St (aka 810 W Wayman), the one that just scored a building permit actually has an agreement from London-based advertising firm WPP to basically take the entire building (over 250,000 sq ft). WPP is the largest advertising/communications services company in the world. They hope to move in by early 2020.

The only office they have in the US right now is NYC (Manhattan) at just over 43,000 sq ft. So the Chicago office would be 6X larger than that. Of course, NYC is the HQ of GroupM, which is owned by WPP and has over double the space as this building, but you get the point. Good to see - that will be an influx if all goes to plan of probably at least 1200 new employees. Maybe closer to 1500 in reality is my guess.
This is not right. This news was announced in Crains months ago (and I posted it in the Economy Thread). WPP is moving its existing Loop office to this new location. This is not an entirely new office. Sorry to deflate anyone's excitement

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This is not right. This news was announced in Crains months ago (and I posted it in the Economy Thread). WPP is moving its existing Loop office to this new location. This is not an entirely new office. Sorry to deflate anyone's excitement
WPP corporate does not have any offices in Chicago. The only office in North America for corporate WPP is in NYC, so yes its technically correct. They have other offices in Chicago for subsidiaries like Ogilvy. I think the article I read probably just talks about it and mislabeled WPP. however, an office like Ogilvy doesn't really have WPP name on it prominently.
http://www.wpp.com/wpp/about/whereweare/

Regardless, even if it is a consolidation, it's still exciting in terms of office district expanding even more into the West Loop which will probably justify more the new housing coming up.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Regardless, even if it is a consolidation, it's still exciting in terms of office district expanding even more into the West Loop which will probably justify more the new housing coming up.
This then brings up the question of how will the Loop change over the next decade, now that many HQs are relocating to the West Loop. I think that will be the other major transformation we should keep an eye on

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:15 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
This then brings up the question of how will the Loop change over the next decade, now that many HQs are relocating to the West Loop. I think that will be the other major transformation we should keep an eye on
The loop in the last 20 years has increased its amount of permanent residents drastically, so this is likely to be the case. I'd expect more and more conversions of these older office buildings into condos, apartments, and hotels as time goes on. The Loop will always be the CBD, but it won't be dead after 5PM ever again.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
The loop in the last 20 years has increased its amount of permanent residents drastically, so this is likely to be the case. I'd expect more and more conversions of these older office buildings into condos, apartments, and hotels as time goes on. The Loop will always be the CBD, but it won't be dead after 5PM ever again.
Yes, and I think this would be better. A truer 24 hour area than having parts be dead after 6 or 7. That would be much better in my opinion and having offices spread a little. Loop employment is at a like 20+ year high too I think

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 2:22 PM

56Huron

April 11

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:42 PM

360 W Erie

April 11

Post tension will start on the upper floors.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:48 PM

Renelle on the River

April 13

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:29 PM

The Marlowe

April 11

This will change the intersection

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 8:00 PM

Home2suites - 110 Huron - or - 700 Clark

April 11

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, and I think this would be better. A truer 24 hour area than having parts be dead after 6 or 7. That would be much better in my opinion and having offices spread a little. Loop employment is at a like 20+ year high too I think
Yes! This is exactly what I want to see continue.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:46 PM

210 n Carpenter

April 11

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:58 PM

210 N Green

April 11

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:34 PM

Aloft Mag Mile

April 13

From the back

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations