HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:50 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
The keyboard doesn't work like a typewriter, you don't have to return the carriage after each sentence.

I'll do it cause it seems fun though, figured this reply would fit into the uselessness of this thread.
You came all this way from Hamilton just to type... that?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:19 AM

What I can't stand is this LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ community crap nor Queer {ie abnormal}.

When talking about racial and ethnic minorities we don't list every letter of the alphabet to include them so why not the same for sexual and gender minorities? Honestly, I don't even know what half the letters the gay community uses even mean anymore and I'm gay.

Another thing I can't stand is when anybody says anything against any policies that effect sexual or gender minorities they are automatically labelled as homophobic. It's so childish, ignorant, disingenuous and disrespectful. It is nothing more than a way for insecure intellectual midgets to curtail intelligent conversation and freedom of expression.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People will actually go out of their way to point out an obvious source of irritation.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:38 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
fuckin right I did.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:50 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
How? I've literally never seen this outside the internet. So yeah pretty irrelevant to me. And also why, to me, a lot of the kvetching over this, seems like yet another cultural anxiety issue blown out of proportion by the usual suspects..
In other news, the La Leche League of the UK is reaching out to trans women, inviting them to participate in breastfeeding classes, and using the alternative name "chestfeeding" in order to be more inclusive.

They are also supporting trans women who have male mammary glands in the taking of drugs that will apparently stimulate something resembling lactation* to feed babies.

*Whether or not this is sufficiently nourishing or even non-harmful for babies is a topic of scientific discussion.

Last edited by Acajack; Dec 3, 2020 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
What I can't stand is this LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ community crap nor Queer {ie abnormal}.

When talking about racial and ethnic minorities we don't list every letter of the alphabet to include them so why not the same for sexual and gender minorities? Honestly, I don't even know what half the letters the gay community uses even mean anymore and I'm gay..
You haven't heard of BIPOC? (Black/Indigenous/People Of Colour) You gotta know the acronyms in the architectural or any lefty industry.

I know, pretty redundant and stupid. My gay ears thought it meant bisexual POC when I first heard it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:07 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I think the thread should be re titled "The Great Canadian Slippery Slope and Fearmongering Thereof" Thread.
That or "The Great Strawman" thread.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:10 AM
Fake News

OMG!OMG!OMG!

Quote:
Elliot Page came out as a trans person with the pronouns he/they on Tuesday
https://people.com/movies/elliot-pag...-out-as-trans/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:11 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

When talking about racial and ethnic minorities we don't list every letter of the alphabet to include them so why not the same for sexual and gender minorities? Honestly, I don't even know what half the letters the gay community uses even mean anymore and I'm gay.

Another thing I can't stand is when anybody says anything against any policies that effect sexual or gender minorities they are automatically labelled as homophobic. It's so childish, ignorant, disingenuous and disrespectful. It is nothing more than a way for insecure intellectual midgets to curtail intelligent conversation and freedom of expression.
I think I am a bit older than you. One thing I've noticed is that the gay generation which came before us may have been more in tune with today's "activism". I had friends from that generation (mostly gone now, partly the result of HIV in the 80s/90s, the forgotten victims, largely ignored, resented, ridiculed, slighted and maligned), and they were proud of their fight for gay rights. They claimed, "everything you now take for granted we had to fight and sacrifice for". I'm sure that was lost to many younger, but perhaps the latest iteration sees it a bit differently.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:02 AM

I don't know if you are much older as I just turned 56 and came out in the early 80s when AIDS was just starting to really effect everything.

Gay Pride parades back then actually had something to do with human rights as opposed to today where they are more just freak shows and have as much to do with gay rights as the Santa Claus Parade has to do with the birth of Christ. Queer is such an offensive word and none of my friends or family ever use it because they too find it equally offensive. It doesn't mean unique but rather abnormal and these sex/gen minorities like to think they are unique and hold a special place which they are not and don't. They can't get their small heads around the idea that being gay is as exciting as white bread.

Being gay is not unique, novel, interesting, or anything to be particularly proud of. It's like screaming out loud and looking for a hero biscuit because you happen to be left handed. Being gay is like being black, white, yellow, Jewish, Indian, or Italian...............it's neither good nor bad but just "is".

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Interesting you should mention that.

While I haven't yet encountered it in a workplace setting, I've been to a couple of volunteer/community meetings over the past year or so where people introduce themselves, and are asked to identify as she/her, he/him, etc. as well.

I definitely complied, but afterwards I thought how truly cringeworthy it is to ask (actually it's more "compel" - you're put on the spot in front of a crowd of people) to out themselves in terms of gender and sexual identity in front of a bunch of strangers.

Really, a person's gender or sexual identity is their own business and no one else's, just like their sexual orientation, religion, and host of other personal characteristics.

(BTW that sound you hear is the sound of two contemporary woke principles bumping against each other.)
I've encountered it in the federal public service but only on email messages sent from a few different people to training groups and project groups that I'm part of. The first time I saw it, it was from someone with a name of South Asian origin and I would could not tell what gender that person was. I saw the pronouns and just figured that it was because she was addressed as "he" more than once so it was for clarification. But then I saw it on a couple other signatures at the end of email messages and then I realized what it is usually used for.

I agree with you Acajack about the gender and sexual orientation not being others' business. It also annoys me when people insist on tagging additional unnecessary things to a profile or signature. It has not been brought up in my workplace just to be clear.

I haven't seen the pronoun thing from any politicians including the NDP. But you will see it on expected activist / interest group websites.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:25 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
I don't know if you are much older as I just turned 56 and came out in the early 80s when AIDS was just starting to really effect everything.

Gay Pride parades back then actually had something to do with human rights as opposed to today where they are more just freak shows and have as much to do with gay rights as the Santa Claus Parade has to do with the birth of Christ. Queer is such an offensive word and none of my friends or family ever use it because they too find it equally offensive. It doesn't mean unique but rather abnormal and these sex/gen minorities like to think they are unique and hold a special place which they are not and don't. They can't get their small heads around the idea that being gay is as exciting as white bread.

Being gay is not unique, novel, interesting, or anything to be particularly proud of. It's like screaming out loud and looking for a hero biscuit because you happen to be left handed. Being gay is like being black, white, yellow, Jewish, Indian, or Italian...............it's neither good nor bad but just "is".
Yes I'm a bit older, but I neglected to mention the obvious differences, such as that back then they had to contend with really blatant discrimination, such as public shaming, imprisonment, losing good jobs, even government jobs, losing their homes, family and social connections, not just hostility but physical abuse and murder, and not just microaggressions or getting a letter wrong in a preferred personal pronoun. However, some of those things are still lurking just beneath the surface even today, and still exist in many parts of the world.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Yes I'm a bit older, but I neglected to mention the obvious differences, such as that back then they had to contend with really blatant discrimination, such as public shaming, imprisonment, losing good jobs, even government jobs, losing their homes, family and social connections, not just hostility but physical abuse and murder, and not just microaggressions or getting a letter wrong in a preferred personal pronoun. However, some of those things are still lurking just beneath the surface even today, and still exist in many parts of the world.
Unfortunately social progress isn't always linear and it's surprising how things thought to be pretty much settled end up dragged onto the carpet again.

I just think of abortion rights even aside from the obvious case of Poland, and where anti-abortion groups in several European countries are taking advantage of the double whammy of the pandemic and loopholes in the law to tighten up and even limit access to the procedure.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:53 PM
Back from the dead

People sure seemed a lot more reasonable back when they had bigger problems to deal with.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:04 PM

Quote:

It's the extra letters that are usually the wokes trouble makers. Putting a blue wig does not make you a woman, but that is transphobic to say now.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
It's the extra letters that are usually the wokes trouble makers. Putting a blue wig does not make you a woman, but that is transphobic to say now.
Actually the only thing that's required for being a woman now is thinking/feeling that you are one. That's it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Actually the only thing that's required for being a woman now is thinking/feeling that you are one. That's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That or "The Great Strawman" thread.
qed

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I see the media has jumped all over this to make sure they all prominently show themselves to be using the new "correct" terminology. Which does feed into the narrative that this is less about individual freedoms and more about virtue signaling.

In reality this issue gets way more attention than is warranted. If Page and a tiny proportion of the rest of the population want to redefine words when used to refer to them, it makes zero difference to almost all our lives. But it does allow the woke section of society to publicly shame sinners when they don't cooperate with something that is obviously absurd. The "Anti woke" are just the opposite, of course, though with their hysterical protestations to anything progressive.

In my mind, the most likely end up point of this is that enough hes become shes and shes become hes that it gets both mundane and confusing. Those words will either become useless and pointless forcing us to create new terms to refer to sexes, or we'll settle on using fewer gendered terms and more gender neutral ones, such that he and she continue to mean the same as they always meant.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:21 PM
Closed account

It is interesting to watch the evolution of society.

A lot of what society used to do was to force its members into molds in order to protect/advance the interests of that society at large. It wasn't necessarily some evil plot unto itself - in a nasty and brutish world, forcing the members of one's society to do unpleasant things to ensure that society's survival was paramount.

Naturally, many members chafed at these imposed roles.

As prosperity advanced, the need to force members to do unpleasant things declined. If the advancement of individuality is predicated on prosperity, I'm wondering what the future holds. Do we achieve a world where anyone can be anything they want to be? Or in a world of finite resources and societies that are still brutish, do the brutish win in the long run, because they can force some of the members of that society to do the unpleasant things required in a world of scarce resources?

One wonders.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
qed
You can huff and puff all you want about strawmen, but the current position of the trans activist community and its most ardent supporters is that: if you identify as a woman, you're a woman. Full stop. If you identify as a man, you're a man. Full stop. Self-identification is all that should be required for membership in the category.

Questioning that is basically what got JK Rowling into a shit storm of trouble.

Unless you allege we're making that up too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada