HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9781  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:29 PM
LAsam LAsam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Playa del Rey, CA
Posts: 2,296
^ ThebiteofSuarez... those photos are both interesting in that they show the progress of the respective projects, as well as beautifully composed from a technical/artistic perspective. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9782  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:59 PM
ThebiteofSuarez's Avatar
ThebiteofSuarez ThebiteofSuarez is offline
Architectural Designer
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^ ThebiteofSuarez... those photos are both interesting in that they show the progress of the respective projects, as well as beautifully composed from a technical/artistic perspective. Thank you!
thanks! I appreciate your words!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9783  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:45 PM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,247
Thank you WayoutWest, Radio5, and ThebiteofSuarez for your updates!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9784  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:04 AM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Some incredibly shocking news for everyone:

Ex-Deputy Mayor of LA, Developers Charged in Real Estate Bribery Scandal
Looks like we won't be seeing Gov. Garcetti any time soon.
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9785  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:51 AM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,848
^ Also looks like the 77-story new tallest is DOA as well. The lead developer on that is one of only two developers to have criminal charges levied. RIP, new tallest. RIP.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9786  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:14 AM
Blesha13 Blesha13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA 90026
Posts: 265
If we can now get a 1500’+ skyscraper on that 6th and Hope parking lot, that’d be great 😉
__________________
GO DODGERS! GO LAKERS!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9787  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:29 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,848
^ By 6th and Hope, do you mean the lot next to the Standard? I believe that's owned by the Standard, and is part of that property. So they would have to develop it, to the detriment of the views of their rooftop, which once the pandemic is over, is one of their top selling points - and sources of revenue.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9788  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:00 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 4,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Looks like we won't be seeing Gov. Garcetti any time soon.
Or the new tallest

Quote:
If we can now get a 1500’+ skyscraper on that 6th and Hope parking lot, that’d be great
1.5k seems like stretch but I hope some legitimately tall proposals arise in LA this decade once the pandemic clears, considering none of the current ones seem likely.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9789  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 9:40 PM
Niftybox Niftybox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: California
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Or the new tallest



1.5k seems like stretch but I hope some legitimately tall proposals arise in LA this decade once the pandemic clears, considering none of the current ones seem likely.
Optimism after COVID passes should help
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9790  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:44 PM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
1.5k seems like stretch but I hope some legitimately tall proposals arise in LA this decade once the pandemic clears, considering none of the current ones seem likely.
You're very fixated on height.

DTLA isn't enough of a premium market yet to warrant really tall buildings, unless it's for a prominent location. I would rather we fill out our DT with buildings in the 100-500' range.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9791  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:50 AM
caligrad's Avatar
caligrad caligrad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,540
^^^ To quote the best movie of all time, Independence Day.

"I've been saying it. I've been saying it for 10 damn years, aint I been saying it skyscraperpage ? I've been saying it. "

And thank you for saying it with me .

I just want a sea of 300-600 proposals. Literally. Give me 30-50 of those proposed downtown and i'll be happy. Anything over 1000 is fun but DTLA needs more of the midrange. Broadway and the surrounding area already has the 100s-200s down for a generation I feel and some good ones if they get refurbished, which is already happening. I Just need south park to be more realistic with more buildings (realistic since its still full of gaps) and we sometimes neglect the civic center areas, i need little Tokyo to get a dozen 300-400 footers covered with some neon frosting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9792  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 5:07 PM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
You're very fixated on height.

DTLA isn't enough of a premium market yet to warrant really tall buildings, unless it's for a prominent location. I would rather we fill out our DT with buildings in the 100-500' range.
Yeah some people are just unrealistic. Developers aren't going to invest in supertalls if they're just going to sit empty. There's no ROI for doing so, especially given the long and expensive approval process.
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9793  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:04 PM
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 4,800
I also agree that LA should focus on mid rises. Being on a decently continuous plain between the ocean and hills/ mountains, it has all the room it needs to develop its downtown and surrounding core neighborhoods into something like. Barcelona, Tokyo, Sao Paolo, or Mexico City.
__________________
Entering the Age of Aquarius
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9794  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:18 PM
pwright1's Avatar
pwright1 pwright1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,313
My excitement is the old rundown historic buildings being brought back to their glory. The Merritt Building revealed more this week and imo it is turning out so beautiful.






Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9795  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:50 PM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 758
Looks amazing. Did they reconstruct the lower facade, or is the ridged pattern the original stone that has been cleaned?
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9796  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:15 PM
JerellO JerellO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Looks amazing. Did they reconstruct the lower facade, or is the ridged pattern the original stone that has been cleaned?
They reconstructed that lower ridged portion. It was removed awhile back for the sake of “modernization” I believe like some buildings in downtown did
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9797  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:49 AM
BaldwinDPB BaldwinDPB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 10
Tall Building Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ To quote the best movie of all time, Independence Day.

"I've been saying it. I've been saying it for 10 damn years, aint I been saying it skyscraperpage ? I've been saying it. "

And thank you for saying it with me .

I just want a sea of 300-600 proposals. Literally. Give me 30-50 of those proposed downtown and i'll be happy. Anything over 1000 is fun but DTLA needs more of the midrange. Broadway and the surrounding area already has the 100s-200s down for a generation I feel and some good ones if they get refurbished, which is already happening. I Just need south park to be more realistic with more buildings (realistic since its still full of gaps) and we sometimes neglect the civic center areas, i need little Tokyo to get a dozen 300-400 footers covered with some neon frosting.


As of the present, are not these four large building projects well under construction in downtown LA? (Other than Oceanside) (1) Brookfield, a 64 story 700 footer. (2) Pico and Fig, a 530 footer and 300 footer. (3) 8th and Fig, a 500 footer. And (4) Grand Ave, a 500 and 300 footer. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9798  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:19 AM
caligrad's Avatar
caligrad caligrad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,540
^^^ Correct, which is great news. It's what LA needs.

Admittedly 10+ years ago, I was one of the main ones screaming that LA needs to go bigger. In reality, seeing Metropolis and Oceanwide (almost) completed, my biggest issue was those big parking lots. Now, i look forward to Infill in the 300-600 range. Yes, What you mentioned is within that range, but, give me 10 times those going up or at least proposed and I'll be happy.

I'm not going to name other cities, but, LA's big sister that sits on an island and LA's big little sister in the Midwest do amazing with with their downtowns as is. But. What gets me is the other cities with downtowns that seem and feel very east coast and dense with a bustling street life but not even half the size of LA. Its not tall buildings that make this happen, its buildings in the mid range with great street facing retail and other amenities that get the streets feeling.....Real. If that makes sense.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 8, 2020 at 1:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9799  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:20 PM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Its not tall buildings that make this happen, its buildings in the mid range with great street facing retail and other amenities that get the streets feeling.....Real. If that makes sense.
People on here are finally starting to get it...
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9800  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 11:21 PM
JerellO JerellO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ Correct, which is great news. It's what LA needs.

Admittedly 10+ years ago, I was one of the main ones screaming that LA needs to go bigger. In reality, seeing Metropolis and Oceanwide (almost) completed, my biggest issue was those big parking lots. Now, i look forward to Infill in the 300-600 range. Yes, What you mentioned is within that range, but, give me 10 times those going up or at least proposed and I'll be happy.

I'm not going to name other cities, but, outside of LA's big sister and LA's big little sister in the Midwest, there are other downtown that seem and feel very east coast at not even half the size of LA as a whole. Its not tall buildings that make this happen, its buildings in the mid range with great street facing retail and other amenities that get the streets feeling.....Real. If that makes sense.
I think another reason those smaller cities feel very easy coast is because they don’t build podiums and are build towers themselves.. or their older buildings, just like LA, are built wall to wall with no height restriction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.