HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I really like LED Holiday lights. It's what I've been using for my home display for years now. The colors are deeper because the LED diode bulb itself is producing the color rather than white electric bulbs through colored glass or plastic. To each their own.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 9:04 PM

I also prefer LED christmas lights, and the lights in my home are almost all LED by now.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
verrrrrrrry interesting. yeah some monitors and screens can go out of sync with newer cameras and it's disturbing to look at. also sometimes when you film a helicopter and the frame rate is just right it looks like they are levitating.

i was not being scientific when i used "flickering" i'm not sure what the right term is... LEDs area more... uniform light. If you catch my drift
Your use of the word flicker is a correct technical term, aka Flicker fusion threshold. Just to elaborate, an LED is a diode which is like a one way valve, energy only passes one way through it. AC current can be variable, meaning it can go back and forth. A converter is used to help maintain a steady current to the diode by redirecting, or capturing the reverse flow of an AC power source when it occurs, to the input of the diode because it would not be able to enter the diode from the exit side, (rudimentarily speaking) rendering the diode basically useless or susceptible to constant dimming and major flickering due to constant temporary power loss. On large scale circuits I worked on, we used capacitors and resistors to maintain constant electrical charge to DC driven devices. If you look at a string of LED lights, you can find one or more converters on the line itself. Its about 2 inches long and about the width of a cigarette. The higher the quality of converter, the steadier the output of light. They don't have to be elaborate or 100% effective because remember the human eye / brain sees 24 flickers per second as steady light. This also keeps the cost down. Someday I'm going to dissect one out of curiosity. So eliminating most of the flicker issues is possible. Sooooooo off topic, sorry.

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 2, 2020 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:17 AM
Remember

I like LEDs, but I think there are uses for them that are appropriate while others aren't. My gripe with LEDs is sometimes they appear too faint, and for the Zilker Tree, I wanna see it from afar. I want it bright and glowing. I don't have anything against LEDs. I have a couple of strings up in my bedroom for ambient lighting. They fade in and out and I can control the speeds and patterns with a remote. And then I have a couple of LEDs "bulbs" in two lamps that fade in and out, and yet another LED "ball light" that also changes color. I just like the ambient light so that I don't have to turn the light on in the room every time I walk in. I also have them so I don't trip over my dogs when they're under my feet.

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful. - Edward R. Murrow

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:49 AM

Like them or hate them, where would we be without LEDs? TVs, monitors, and scoreboards would be cathode-ray tubes, or projections, or a bunch of tiny incandescent bulbs. As far as marquee signs with the old style bulbs that run or are stationary, there were sometimes hundreds of them and you rarely saw one that didn't have more than a few burned out. But those I prefer not to be LEDs. How many times did 100 Congress have burned out bulbs on its peaks? Would the crown on the Fairmont be as elaborately lit? We're going to have to be in acceptance of LEDs if we want more of our buildings to have a decent night light. As far as LEDs used as holiday lights, that's really person preference. I use both because I like both. Also, I paid $3.28 for a standard 100 light string, and $9.99 for the same size LED string. But the LED strings will probably out live me.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:45 AM

OK, I'll play along: Old school Christmas lights have a warmth that LEDs have a hard time recreating. The shape of the source is also a nostalgic plus......
and unfortunately all my lights are LED. Happily the white ones are a "warm" white, ( as oppose to a blue/cool white) which helps.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:59 PM

The complaint about LEDs is really more about excess ambient light, not as much about the technology itself. LEDs can offer substantially more light in an efficient manner. As time goes on, we are already seeing how options are better (ex. not stuck with 5k light for white).

I was in Hilo, Hawaii last year and they are very conscious about the amount of artificial outdoor light at night. Houses have no or little outside light (ex. wall sconces) and there are few street lights, and it is part of a movement to be conscious of the natural environment around you. I see it being something people are more aware of in the future everywhere

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:00 AM
Remember

Block 185 looks to be at about 250 feet now.

Daniel Hadad - https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...00878556599321

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful. - Edward R. Murrow

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:48 PM

So lovely. Kinda giving me a Seattle feel with this angle.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 4:07 PM
World Traveler

Definitely one of my favorite angles of the city.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 4:19 PM

ACL is going to look nice once it's back

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
ACL is going to look nice once it's back
It sounds weird that I can't wait to be crammed into Zilker Park to watch a band....I miss live music sooo much.

It's the probably the main reason I live in Zilker. I'm gunna miss One to One, but I believe out of the ashes, new venues will rise up!

Going to Nutty Brown tonight to see Bill Burr....first time out since Feb.

Viva Austin.

Last edited by urbancore; Dec 4, 2020 at 6:50 PM. Reason: im stoopid

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I'm gunna miss One to One, but I believe out of the ashes, new venues will rise up! .
They always do. Just look at the history for the last 35 years. Always reinventing and evolving and never down and out. That's the Austin way.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:43 AM

Went out again with the drone. Still trying to get a feel for flying it. Here are a few more shots from the south and east. I plan on having some shots coming up from the west next time!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:59 AM

Beautiful shots! Well done sir, well done. I love the morning shots and that angle, now my favorite. I also love drones. Before they became available, we could never see shots like the ones we get from all you fine drone operators, of course unless you rented a helicopter. I love the impact the Indeed Tower is having especially in pic 2, and just how important the Quincy is where it is.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:02 AM

Very nice! My new desktop is photo #1.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 3:19 PM

Yup, some beautiful shots. I really love the East Avenue Wall in pic #2 -- you get a sense of what that's going to look like in a couple of years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:56 PM

44 East is going to look gigantic from I-35 crossing the river.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 6:27 PM

Great photos!

Driving last night, I was reminded how much I like the Indy's purple crown lighting. It's somehow muted and subtle but also eye catching

Also noticed that there were some kind of (construction?) lights inside of Indeed's crown that really stood out. If they light that massive crown section it's going to rival Frost's prominence at night.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:32 PM
Remember

In those photos, it looks like they're doing site prep for the Fairfield Inn & Suites on East Avenue next to the Homewood Suites. I'm also coming around to the Homewood Suites Hotel. I know it's not fine architecture, but it is different. I feel like the lighting on it is pretty decent for what is basically a budget hotel.

So, those photos highlight a few of the crushes I've had recently.

Northshore is still one of the best looking buildings on the skyline for the way it stands out and is a throwback to the setback style architecture we saw in the 80s. What I like about it most is the color and contrast. 360 still catches my eye, too.

70 Rainey still grabs my attention despite being another blue/green glass box. The offset angle of the tower forces it to catch light at a different time that the other buildings just can't do. Coincidentally, the Dobie Center does the same thing because the placement of the tower above its podium is relatively the same as 70 Rainey, and the glass is very similar in color.

The Austin Marriott Downtown is one of the nicest most solid buildings we've had in a while. I just feel like it's a sophisticated building that is done very nicely. It's not flashy, but it's really easy to appreciate.

I'm liking the new paint job on the Hilton Convention Center Hotel. I wasn't sure I'd like it, because honestly, I was a fan of the old paint scheme, but I'm liking the white paint. It looks clean and um, handsome?

The Quincy will probably be similar, and as the Genral said, it's placement is important on the skyline. I'm struck by how dense that area has become and is becoming a legit part of the rest of downtown now.

And it cannot be understated how much of an impact 44 East will have. It's going to be a pretty skinny tower, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin