HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I'm not surprised. The developers of Derby had already mentioned at a city council meeting a few months back that they were still planning to build. And on the 12th, the defendant's filed for a Motion For Summary Judgment on all 6 counts in which the plaintiff's also filed a Motion for Judgment. The case is now over and Derby is back on again. Angel's will soon be surrounded by high-rises with Stewart, Link, Derby, Meow Wolf and Ro2 either completed, or going up in the next couple of years. He needs to just sell his property while the market is hot if he does not like the nearby developments. It's not going to stop any time soon and will probably even accelerate before the cycle ends.
My prediction:

- Matt is in WAY over his head with the second location, too big, bad location, cocktail bar? brewery?
- The second location is bleeding money and will ultimately put both locations under
- Matt will blame The Derby for his business going under rather than his poor decision to open a neighborhood craft brew bar in a Costco parking lot (rather than actually in Arcadia where it should be)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:48 PM

Also, I never see many people at his other location on 44th and Oak. I have been once and was not at all impressed. Zero atmosphere. There was nothing to draw me back. At first, I was so excited to see the old Sears automotive shop renovated. I thought it would be an awesome place for a fun restaurant or bar. It still is, but it isn't Angel's Trumpet, in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:52 PM
Modulator

I do agree this was a poor location choice. However, there is an upcoming multi-family project in the pipeline in that big empty lot that has been fenced up for eons just a block down from Angel's new location on 44th. I'm not sure how much of an effect that will have on his business in the new location, but it will be several hundred units. Could make a small dent, but probably not enough.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 4:39 PM

I have yet to check out the new location and frankly I'm not that interested in doing it. I don't think I'm the only one who finds it too far a drive when there are so many good options all over the valley that offer the same thing plus or minus a bit.

cliff's notes: It's a repetitive concept.

Also I feel the need to clarify that I'm not in Matt's camp. He and I are acquaintances who have crossed paths many times and have similar business backgrounds. That's all. I talk to him, he tells me stories, and I usually buy in.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 4:51 PM

I even think there are nights it is closed, like Monday night or Sunday night. ?????

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 4:57 PM

The original location has always been closed on Monday, I'd assume the same holds true for Arcadia.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The original location has always been closed on Monday, I'd assume the same holds true for Arcadia.
They are both closed Mondays. I like the food at the original one and the pop tarts are money.

I disagree with it being a "repetitive concept." It's fairly unique for Phoenix. It's only becoming more repetitive because Wandering Tortoise, Pig Meow, Whinning Pig are expanding everywhere. But they don't really have food.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
It's a plan review number. If you go to the plan review search page (https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/Search/PlanReviews) and plug in SCSR as the 'type' and 1902300 as the 'number,' you too can have the unique pleasure of looking at the plan review document. Says the subject house will be used as a restaurant.
Thanks, Muertecaza, for clarifying that.

If you're interested in looking at everything submitted so far this year, you can also simply type "19*" for the year.

I generally look at these categories:
PAPP - These are pre-application meetings. It's the first step in the process for most new development / redevelopment.
SCSR- These are smaller projects, such as a new restaurant or adaptive reuse.
PRLM - Preliminary building plans for larger projects.
LPRN - Final building plans for larger projects.

I used to attach the plan review online summary associated with a project, but more often than not the project description is pretty lame and doesn't tell you much. As for as I know, you cannot look at the site plans or building elevations this way, but I could be wrong. You can also look at the staff review comments by pressing the review button off to the right. I have not really pursued that aspect much.

Having said all that Punch Bowl Social (SCSR 1902704)and an adaptive reuse for a restaurant called Josephines at 1246 E. Jefferson were recently submitted (SCSR 1902708).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post

I disagree with it being a "repetitive concept."
What is unique about a place that serves beer/wine and pub food?

I agree when it opened the place seemed ground-breaking but right now it's just another beer/wine bar with better than average bar food.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 8:27 PM
Modulator

Quote:

I agree when it opened the place seemed ground-breaking but right now it's just another beer/wine bar with better than average bar food.
This coming from Biggus, whom has supported Matt here and there on these forums. So that says a lot right there. If Biggus says it's repetitive and every day, I'm going with that. With that said, I myself have never been to Angel's as the Derby fight has really soured my me from going there. I suppose it would only be fair for me to check Angel's out at least once though. I will probably look at the one on 44th if I do as I will probably get into an argument about Derby if I go to the old one.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 11:26 PM

Demo permit issued today for total demolition of the commercial building at 301 W. Roosevelt--the SWC. Most recent plan reviews were for a 5 story, 70 unit apartment building.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:

What’s unique about any place if you’re going to be that vague?! Having a chalk board full of beers that is constantly changing was and is still a unique concept here. When the keg’s gone they put something else up. It was not a beer pub rather a experience as you could try and different beers not on tap anywhere else in the city, and changing hour by hour.

The TV tray dinners, the unique menu, from the pop tarts to the sauce they serve with their fries, it is not your average pub food by any means. Definitely has a unique style and twist.

Say want you want about Matt, I certainly am critical, but to dismiss the concept as not unique because they serve beer and wine and food (definitely not a “pub”) is like saying a Tesla is not unique because Chevy has a Volt.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Demo permit issued today for total demolition of the commercial building at 301 W. Roosevelt--the SWC. Most recent plan reviews were for a 5 story, 70 unit apartment building.
Hopefully this time they go through with it. They pulled one last year, I'm guessing it has since expired and had to renew it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
is like saying a Tesla is not unique because Chevy has a Volt.
Did you mean lighting bolt? What is a Volt?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Did you mean lighting bolt? What is a Volt?
Google is a powerful tool.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:44 PM
Modulator

Banner University Medical

A little bit of news on the hospital. The older 12 story main tower will not be coming down for about 8 to 10 years. What is coming down is the 6 story West tower with demolition beginning in June. No word on if indeed a 2nd new tower will be going up in its place. I am guessing not if the old main tower is staying up for another 8 years or so. I will try to find out more if I can.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
A little bit of news on the hospital. The older 12 story main tower will not be coming down for about 8 to 10 years. What is coming down is the 6 story West tower with demolition beginning in June. No word on if indeed a 2nd new tower will be going up in its place. I am guessing not if the old main tower is staying up for another 8 years or so. I will try to find out more if I can.
Now that that ugly little guy with the round windows isn't the dominant part of the Hospital I kinda want it to stay

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 12:46 AM

PRLM 1902769. Revised plans came in today for the 4th and Pierce student housing project. There are some minor revisions - less units, a bit more height.

From the submittal (typos included for your reading pleasure): DESCRIPTION OF WORK: 27 STORY TOWER WITH APARTMENT UNITS, PARKING, AMENITIES AND GROUND FLORR COMMERCIAL SPOACE.
MINOR PRELIMINARY SITE PLAN REVISION SUBMITTAL; NUMBER OF DWELLING UNITS REDUCED TO 234 FROM 238 HEIGHT INCREASED TO 304'-
0' FROM 301'-5". NO CHANGE TO CURRENT BONUS CREDIT CALCULATION REQUIRED.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
PRLM 1902769. Revised plans came in today for the 4th and Pierce student housing project. There are some minor revisions - less units, a bit more height.

From the submittal (typos included for your reading pleasure): DESCRIPTION OF WORK: 27 STORY TOWER WITH APARTMENT UNITS, PARKING, AMENITIES AND GROUND FLORR COMMERCIAL SPOACE.
MINOR PRELIMINARY SITE PLAN REVISION SUBMITTAL; NUMBER OF DWELLING UNITS REDUCED TO 234 FROM 238 HEIGHT INCREASED TO 304'-
0' FROM 301'-5". NO CHANGE TO CURRENT BONUS CREDIT CALCULATION REQUIRED.
Wait is this the 2nd Phase of The Link??

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 1:10 AM

If this is the Link tower 2 then I'm impressed with the height increase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest