HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 2:38 PM

Very nice...yes, we had been wondering about where these offices would go. But most of the speculation had been about offices for the staff working at the medical center. This article talks about the building being used to move existing staff out of China Basin and 50 Beale.

I think UCSF has about 100,000 sf at China Basin and another 50,000 sf on Beale, so it seems like much of the space in this new building will be for those people. I wonder if there's more to come (25B?) to support the hospital itself.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 4:23 PM

Salesforce presented to Planning Commission yesterday and it seems to have gone well, although we're still only at the informational presentation stage.

Chronicle article

15 MB Planning Commision document

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 2:51 AM

A couple cell phone pictures of Madrone. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but the west tower had a fresh coat of white paint on the crown. Hopefully, this means the entire project will follow suit.

First, a picture from the Sixth St. off ramp. Sorry, for the quality -- this one was taken through my friend's car window. You can see the outline of where the future commons will be. It should make for a great view corridor once it, and surrounding buildings, are built out.

And one looking south. You can kind of see the white paint on top of the tower on the right:

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 5:14 AM
Only Mostly Dead

That will be a nice view from the overpass. And in traffic you'll be able to enjoy it for more than a second or two.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:07 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
A couple cell phone pictures of Madrone. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but the west tower had a fresh coat of white paint on the crown.

First, a picture from the Sixth St. off ramp ... You can see the outline of where the future commons will be. It should make for a great view corridor once it, and surrounding buildings, are built out. ...
thanks '77! that's a great perspective of the roundabout and its relation to the axis of the Commons.

and I'm thankful for the white paint too. here is another shot from today from a little closer:

skipping around a bit... over at block 2, rebar has begun to make an appearance as they drive what seem to be the final piles:

behind the CVRB, the courtyard does seem to be turning into something more pleasant, or at least more green

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:23 AM

Unhappy Recology fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I'm not positive if this is definitely related to the current construction but I do know this corner is part of the Showplace Square Open Space Plan.

Source: www.sf-planning.org
welll, this was disappointing... after all our grand hopes, it looks like that construction at Recology was... a reconfigured parking lot

I'd been looking forward to the public space!

Last edited by timbad; Feb 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 8:38 AM

Bummer!

Thanks for the update, though.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 6:43 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The white does help, but the window trim was also white in the renderings and models. It gives a really different overall effect to have all that grey there instead. I wonder why they changed it.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 11:24 PM

false alarm?

the coat of white paint on the crown of the Madrone tower may just have been a primer coat... yesterday it had been replaced by a dark brown (and they had taken down the crane over the west tower):

another view from closer, but from an angle that doesn't show the crown:

here is Madrone in the distance as seen looking from the northwest across blocks 2 (in the foreground) and 3, and the public safety site (where nothing is going on at the moment):

and jumping over to the hospital, the windows are going in on the south side:

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 7:28 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the shots, timbad. Is there work on both ends of lot 3 (ie: affordable and market rate) or is it just one or the other?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Thanks for the shots, timbad. Is there work on both ends of lot 3 (ie: affordable and market rate) or is it just one or the other?
seems they drove test piles on the western half of block 3 only, and as far as I can tell, have been in pause ever since. there are construction trailers sitting on the eastern half.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:44 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I see, so they've started on the market rate building only. Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 6:07 PM

The new Salesforce headquarters at Mission Bay was approved last night:

Quote:
The massive new Salesforce.com campus at Mission Bay will continue unperturbed, despite the elimination of agency that oversees such projects.

Although the plans are expected to survive the death of the Redevelopment Agency, it remains unclear exactly how The City will find traction for massive projects in the future.

The new 2-million-square-foot headquarters for the cloud computing company is expected to be a major anchor in San Francisco’s efforts to lure more tech companies to The City – a top priority of Mayor Ed Lee during his new term in office.
Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/deve...#ixzz1l9eFAIv7

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:45 AM

crane-spotting

I noticed this morning that a crane has gone up on block 2 (and the second one at Madrone had been taken down), but I might not be able to get pics for a few days

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:08 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Great news! It's nice to see so many cranes in the air again. Most are on smaller projects, but still good news for those in the construction industry.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 7:50 PM

roundabout area

was able to get out a bit yesterday to see what was going on in the 'hood...

first, although I haven't noticed anyone working around there recently, the roundabout area remains closed off. the only change I noticed was that some of the old wooden poles and wires had been taken down at some point, as can be seen comparing this shot from yesterday and one from late October (next to the fire hydrant, for example):

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 8:10 PM

block 2

over on block 2, the rebar planted recently seems to be doing its spring sprouting:

I had mentioned a crane had gone up... here it is in all its glory, looking northwest from the east side of block 3:

... and a wider shot from across Third, but from roughly the same angle:

looks like they're done driving piles on block 2. here you can see the trailers on the eastern edge of block 3. I *think* all that other equipment on block 3 (left side) is just parked there for now, but I will try to get over there one of these weekday mornings to see if there is any activity there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 8:49 PM

public safety building site

I may have been wrong in my recent post when I said nothing was happening at the public safety building site - in any case, there was evidence they were back at it as of yesterday! they've torn up the asphalt and are digging in the dirt. here looking SE from the corner of Third and Mission Rock (from basically the same location as the previous photo, but turned around 180 degrees. Madrone in the distance):

looking back the other way from China Basin St:

closer up looking north along the back edge of the old firehouse, where some of the initial set of piles are visible:

and looking back east along the China Basin St (south) edge of the site (Madrone on the right):

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:12 PM

Madrone and hospital and etc

speaking of Madrone, in the previous shots you can see that the windows have almost all gone in along the north side. just the upper level is left in the short section along Third. this is as seen from Fourth:

and over at the hospital, the major recent change is that a large glass section has been installed along Third:

elsewhere, work continues in the courtyard behind the CVRB, tho nothing significant to take a pic of yet; no activity on block 13 (maybe this was affected by the Redevelopment elimination?); Potrero Launch still has its dust shroud over it so doesn't look much different from the last photo posted of it; and at the neurosciences building they seem to be getting to the landscaping in its courtyard area, tho it doesn't look like much more than organized dirt yet.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 5:06 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update on all those projects. It never registered that the piles were going in for the new public safety building, so I feel kind of surprised that it's already started. That's what I get for not paying closer attention. Because they're going in at the same time, those three projects (public safety, block 2, block 3 west) combined will represent a significant step in the filling out of the northern end of Mission Bay.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development