HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
There's relatively low unemployment and yard helpers are not to be found at $15. Aren't certain groups advocating for a $15 minimum wage? Considering inflation should that figure not perhaps be moved upward and also adjusted for local-area cost of living? Or maybe I go without the yard worker, do it myself? More immigration?
My father pays a landscaping company 60 dollars every week to cut his lawn which is about an acre or so. You might have to start paying more money.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
My father pays a landscaping company 60 dollars every week to cut his lawn which is about an acre or so. You might have to start paying more money.
Do teenager boys do yardwork anymore? Lib, you should call up parents in your neighborhood to convince the kids to give up spray paint and skate boards and do some actual work.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 3:17 PM

Here's where it is: Daughter mows yard and trims bushes for room and board. For digging, filling, mulching, spraying I picked up an experienced landscape worker for $15. Not paying $60 for simple yard mowing.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Here's where it is: Daughter mows yard and trims bushes for room and board. For digging, filling, mulching, spraying I picked up an experienced landscape worker for $15. Not paying $60 for simple yard mowing.
If you aren't careful, you are going to get arrested for child abuse.

I frequently use day laborers for work but last time I went to pick some up they wouldn't work for less than $20/hour. There is so much work right now that they can afford to demand higher wages. I couldn't afford that, so I did it myself. I was offering $15/hour. I'm happy they are able to find work but man, it's inconvenient for me.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 4:29 PM

i cut way more than my fair share of grass as a kid and even helped with it after moving out some... if i ever get a place with a yard i have to maintain, i'm getting one of these https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-robot-lawn-mowers

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 5:36 PM

[sarcasm]Hate to drag everyone back on topic but.....

In AS we have 3 sites plus the "back lot" that need filling in. First a little fun.

Here is a scene from The Falcon and The Winter Solder that has my building with The World Trade Center a few blocks away. I bet my unit's value quadrupled that night. Should have sold. Coincidentally it is one of the sites. See 2ed pic.

Here is about the same pic sans CGI. Also the site was supposed to be a dual branded hotel but...........

This sit is between The Atlantic and Atlantic Yards (between 17th and 16th). For now looks like Atlantic Yards will use a ramp off Market St as a commercial entrance.

Site on the north east corner was slated for a mid rise (<>12 floors) apartment complex but......

This "back lot" has always bemused me. What was the origin intent for it?

Last edited by Julien; May 3, 2021 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 7:16 PM

Talking

[QUOTE=Julien;9268280][sarcasm]Hate to drag everyone back on topic but.....

How dare you, sir.

As for the rest of your post, I would have never known that was AS. It's amazing how much of Atlanta goes unnoticed in movies because of CGI.

However, my favorite use (sarcasm) of Atlanta was in the movie Fled with Laurence Fishburn and Stephen Baldwin. They go from the Georgia Dome to Stone Mountain during the same fight/chase. It makes no sense unless you don't know Atlanta.

So, you can try to get us back on topic again now.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:24 PM

Looked at many condos all over midtown. AS just has the right combo of amenities, easer access, less crowded and better conditioned/consistent streets/sidewalks and private property. Would like to see T3 West occupied.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:15 PM

[/QUOTE]

I really do not like those suburban apartment buildings. Especially next that monument. It just doesn't work.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post
I really do not like those suburban apartment buildings. Especially next that monument. It just doesn't work.
For a planned neighborhood, Atlantic Station is a weird mix of good and bad. The park is great and The Atlantic is one of my favorite buildings in the city, but the apartment building next to T3 is hideous.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
For a planned neighborhood, Atlantic Station is a weird mix of good and bad. The park is great and The Atlantic is one of my favorite buildings in the city, but the apartment building next to T3 is hideous.
All 5 over 1s are hideous, so that is not just an AS thing. I remember first seeing this type of construction and thought how obtuse it seemed to be stick building 50' high and filling a full city block all connected.

Last edited by Julien; May 12, 2021 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:32 PM

Nothing really but pic of AY/MS from in our (Atlantic Station) alley. This is the ODDITY to me. Having ran almost everywhere in ATL we don't have many alleys. Seems strange how rare alleys are in city this large. Even thought about making a thread with pics of all (what few there are) of them.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 5:46 PM

We have alleys all over the place. They're just 4 or 5 lane thoroughfares with 6-7 story parking decks butting up against the sidewalk. See Spring Street for a sampling.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
We have alleys all over the place. They're just 4 or 5 lane thoroughfares with 6-7 story parking decks butting up against the sidewalk. See Spring Street for a sampling.
Please give me a specific address or cross street. I have ran every mm of Spring, Williams and West and all streets between MANY times. Have all my alleys pics tagged and don't remember any accept between 12th and 13th. And where Williams ends/turns to the Olympic Torch.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 6:42 PM

^They're joking that spring street is essentially a big alley - I prefer to call it a car sewer.

Seriously though, I would stan an alley pic thread. There are quite a few of them that run north-south in the midtown garden district (e.g. the residential area south of Piedmont Park). It's not exactly an alley but I love this one on 6th street.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 7:52 PM
Kev K

Quote:
I would stan an alley pic thread.

Midtown Garden District for sure has some of the best alleys. Pic above is Argonne Ave near the park.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Nothing really but pic of AY/MS from in our (Atlantic Station) alley. This is the ODDITY to me. Having ran almost everywhere in ATL we don't have many alleys. Seems strange how rare alleys are in city this large. Even thought about making a thread with pics of all (what few there are) of them.
Atlanta actually has quite a few in the pre WW2 City, but the property owners have let most of them go to to pot. I wish people would pay to reopen them.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:08 PM

This is interesting. A basketball prep league is planned for Atlantic Station.

"Players will be housed in existing construction near Atlantic Station. A 103,000-square-foot arena is scheduled to be built south of 17th and Market Streets in Atlantic Station."

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:15 PM

At a prominent 17th Street location?? I don't like it. And I'm willing to bet it doesn't look particularly good on the street side.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:29 PM

What a crap pile of a building to put in that promising spot. So now driving, biking or running on 17th St you will see a roof sticking up just above street level.

EDIT: They should lease T3 instead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta