HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
According to this article it's here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0041...7i13312!8i6656

Looks like it was already well under construction as of July 2019.
Yep. I pass this most every day. It's moving along apace. What Summers posted is the first actual render I've seen of it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 11:17 PM

What do you guys think of this?

Quote:
bear led police on a chase around Wilmington on Thursday after being spotted near Trolley Square, just a day after several drivers reported seeing one cross major highways and main roads in the Wilmington area.

What? How again did a bear get to Delaware?

Well, several bear sightings have been reported throughout southeastern Pennsylvania over the past week. Officials said it's possible two or more bears were roaming Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
Read more - https://www.delawareonline.com/story...on/2617722001/

I don't know about you, but I can't bear the thought that this could happen

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 6:21 PM

Another major development for Bala Cynwyd

Bala Cynwyd site slated for apartments sells to Maryland firm

Article is locked, but can see rendering:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-sells-to.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Bala Cynwyd site slated for apartments sells to Maryland firm

Article is locked, but can see rendering:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-sells-to.html
Proposed for this wooded area on Monument acress from 191 Presidential monument entrance and

https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-75.2166789 Right by 3 Bala Plaza: https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-75.2166789

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:18 PM

Downtown Wilmington

BPG broke ground on The Cooper luxury apartment complex on Market Street this afternoon. There will be 92 apartments.

"With more than 2,500 residential units in the city, housing about 4,000 residents at a 94% occupancy rate, Buccini said that he believes BPG can still hit its goal of 5,000 residents by 2020. He said BPG believes market demand can support building 250 to 400 units a year in the city for the foreseeable future.

“When we were at 1,000 it was much harder, because there was no one on the streets. Now that we’re at 4,000 it gets easier,” he said, noting that BPG will be announcing multiple new projects in the first quarter of 2020.
https://www.delawarebusinesstimes.co...pollin-cooper/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
BPG broke ground on The Cooper luxury apartment complex on Market Street this afternoon. There will be 92 apartments.

"With more than 2,500 residential units in the city, housing about 4,000 residents at a 94% occupancy rate, Buccini said that he believes BPG can still hit its goal of 5,000 residents by 2020. He said BPG believes market demand can support building 250 to 400 units a year in the city for the foreseeable future.

“When we were at 1,000 it was much harder, because there was no one on the streets. Now that we’re at 4,000 it gets easier,” he said, noting that BPG will be announcing multiple new projects in the first quarter of 2020.
https://www.delawarebusinesstimes.co...pollin-cooper/
These look great! Nicest Wilmington project I've seen.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:06 PM

^ It's amazing what adding just a little architectural interest to a design will do.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:12 PM

Morrisville Redevelopments

This is a small redevelopment, but changes like this mean a lot in the grand scheme of things - especially for Lower Bucks County, which has been largely ignored as higher income folks continue to move north towards Doylestown for the new and shiny mcmansions. Morrisville is one of those towns with so much hidden potential, with a little love it could be a unique gem.

The Stockham building in this article was built in the early 1900s, buildings like this are rare in the burbs and their potential is finally being recognized. They are also looking into $100 million mixed use development in the area. Morrisville will never be the next New Hope, but it could be much more than it is.

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes....in-morrisville

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 4:43 PM

Developer plans 150-unit waterfront apartment project in Wilmington

Quote:
A new name is entering Wilmington's building boom.

Baltimore-based Washington Place Equities is planning to develop a 150-unit apartment building along the Christina River in South Wilmington, Delaware. The $32 million, mid-rise project is being named River House and will be constructed on 2.1 acres at 401 A. St.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:23 PM

^That's awesome news, a new investment in Wilmington, on the Riverfront that is NOT BPG or Capano. I did not expect this area to get developed before the land directly in front of the Christina Landing Towers--but I'm not complaining.

For location purposes:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-75.5493454

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:29 PM

Wilmington

2000 Penn. Ave (luxury apts, retail, underground parking), the project is finally getting towards the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZsJvHtZPA

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:23 PM

[QUOTE=Jawnadelphia;8779656]^That's awesome news, a new investment in Wilmington, on the Riverfront that is NOT BPG or Capano. I did not expect this area to get developed before the land directly in front of the Christina Landing Towers--but I'm not complaining.

For location purposes:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-75.5493454

This is really encouraging to see a new player in town. Off the top of my head, Wilmington has the new LoMa apartments, this riverfront project, PA Avenue, and the apartments/townhomes on the Brandywine. Plus you have the Incyte expansion and other big projects underway nearby. I’m sure there are more in the works that I’m forgetting, but you have to feel optimistic for Wilmington going into the next decade.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 9:25 PM

^^Also, the Transit Center near the train station is topped out, and the renovation of Rodney Square has started (while not new commercial/residential developments--I think they are very important projects from the City).

Similarly, the Hotel DuPont is revamping the Green Room, making it slightly more accessible to regular folks but still very upscale. The new French brasserie style restaurant will be opened by Philly chef Tyler Akin (Stock, Res Ipsa, and worked under Michael Solomonov at Zahav).
https://www.inquirer.com/food/hotel-...-20191218.html

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 12:46 PM

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Here's a little video I've made which shows off my Minecraft Cities, Including some shots of my 1:1 scale Wilmington, Delaware map (well, at least what's done so far). Click on the link if the built in video player doesn't work:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdkNPL3j7Ww

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:15 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Merry Xmas. Very nice on the Minecraft. My kids asked me if that was done with the "texture" package. I have no idea what they are talking about...LOL.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Merry Christmas Everyone!

Here's a little video I've made which shows off my Minecraft Cities, Including some shots of my 1:1 scale Wilmington, Delaware map (well, at least what's done so far). Click on the link if the built in video player doesn't work:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdkNPL3j7Ww
Cool video—merry Christmas!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:39 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Coming through on Amtrak last month it was clear that Wilmington has a little mini boom going on. Pretty impressive and under the radar.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 8:52 PM

Wilmington Airport makes the case to recapture passenger flights

This article is a few months old, but I feel it's worth posting here! I copied the whole article here because it's on a subscription based website in case your free limit ran out from other articles:

Wilmington Airport makes the case to recapture passenger flights
Quote:
‘A matter of time’ before air service returns to Delaware
In the past two decades, four airlines have come and gone from Wilmington Airport. Together, these airlines ran scheduled passenger air service for about four of the last 20 years.

The mercurial nature of this service is hardly unique to Wilmington; dozens of cities of its size have lost air service over the last five years as airlines consolidated in larger airports.

Since Frontier’s last flight out of Wilmington Airport in 2015, Delaware has been the only state without regular air service. | Photo by Ron Dubick
Wilmington Airport lost its most recent airline, Frontier, in 2015. Since then, Delaware has been the only state without regular passenger air service, but airport administrators say other airlines have recently indicated an interest in coming to the First State.

Stephen D. Williams, deputy executive director of the Delaware River & Bay Authority, says he continues to pitch airlines on the virtues of Wilmington Airport and its customer base. “My goal is sustainable air service for Delaware,” he said.

That means using data and industry trends to make the business case to airlines that Wilmington can draw from a wide enough pool of potential flyers to sustain regular service.

That could mean flights from Wilmington to an airline’s hub city — as Delta did when it offered a Wilmington-to-Atlanta route for 14 months in the mid-2000s — or flights to a leisure destination. These fun-seeking flyers filled Frontier’s flights between Wilmington and Florida from 2013 to 2015. Active-duty military personnel based in Dover represent another potential pool of flyers.

Any of these potential business or leisure flights could make a profitable niche for an airline, though their planning process to start a new route can take three to five years, says Douglas C. Bañez, managing director at Hubpoint Strategic Advisors. He is a Delaware-born air service consultant who works
for the authority.

Though it is impossible to make a promise, he believes passenger air service returning to Wilmington within five years is a realistic goal.

But even as it has lost and gained passenger service, Wilmington Airport has become self-sustaining since the authority took on a 30-year lease from New Castle County in 1995. Cargo traffic, hangar fees, landing fees, land leases and other revenue have allowed the authority to break even at the airport.

The authority operates four other airports, too, but the income it collects for all five is dwarfed by bridge tolls. Only about 5% of its operating revenue comes from airports.

While air service may not be necessary to make Wilmington Airport self-sustaining, it could dramatically increase the size of federal grants and create new jobs. It also has a less tangible benefit: hometown pride.

Air service is a little like a pro sports team in this way, Williams says, in that it appeals to the part of us that wants to support and identify with a Delaware institution.

“The thousands of people who drive by the airport should get a chance to use it,” he says.

Why air service is fleeting here
Passenger air service in Wilmington has seen an on-and-off cycle dictated by the airlines’ changing business interests and fortunes. It’s the same story for many airports.

The last major carrier to fly out of Wilmington, Frontier Airlines, started the service in 2013. It was successful, Williams says, as its planes were about 85 percent full on most of its flights out of Wilmington.

But Frontier had a change in ownership that resulted in a shift toward larger airports, Williams said. The service was ultimately in place for only 22 months, but it provided evidence that air service can work here.

One of the reasons why it’s been difficult to sustain passenger air service in Delaware is obvious to someone with a map, said David J. Bentley, chief airports analyst for the Centre for Aviation.

Philadelphia International Airport, a hub for both full-service airlines like American and low-cost ones like Spirit, is only 25 miles away. The fact that it’s located on the south side of Philadelphia is a major barrier, too; if Delaware flyers had to drive through the city they might have more of an appetite for a local alternative.

To make a comparison with an airport serving a similarly sized county, Dane County Regional Airport in Madison, Wisconsin, served more than 1.8 million passengers in 2016. But its nearest international airport, in Milwaukee, is about 80 minutes away. That means landing in Madison saves a flyer a three-hour round-trip drive.

“It [an airport] is too small, it ain’t going to make it,” said Bentley, the analyst.

Bañez, the native Delawarean who consults with the airport, says one barrier comes from the mentality of Delawareans who have always assumed air travel included a drive to Philadelphia.

Even amid these challenges, the authority’s administrators and consultant say they can make a strong case for passenger air service.

Making the case for Wilmington
Why should air service matter when the airport is already sustaining itself?

For one, hitting the 10,000-flyer mark would boost the airport’s minimum federal capital grant from $150,000 to $1 million. In addition, airports receive a large chunk of the $4.50-per-ticket federal tax.

Robust passenger air service is a major part of what makes airports profitable, said Bentley. Globally, two-thirds of airports are in the red. Of those, 95% carry a million or fewer passengers a year, he said.

And though Wilmington’s proximity to Philadelphia has put it at a disadvantage, other small airports near metro areas have gained passenger service, Bañez says. For example, Concord Regional Airport is only a 25-minute drive from the international airport in Charlotte but low-fare carrier Allegiant offers flights from Concord to six destinations.

At Wilmington Airport, new customers could include price-conscious tourists, who may drive for two hours to get a cheaper fare, and businesspeople who may think as much about time as money.

“People are both price- and time-sensitive,” Bentley says, and Wilmington offers a shorter drive time and faster time through security.

About 2 million people live within a two-hour drive time from Wilmington Airport. Each day, 3,500 of them board an airplane, each a potential customer.

Part of Wilmington Airport’s pitch to airlines is its city’s concentration of the pharmaceutical and banking industries.

“Wilmington has the unique potential to sustain air service because of the strong business network,” Williams says.

Still, Williams doesn’t want to re-create the conditions that led to airlines arriving in Wilmington only to check
out months later.

“We want it to work this time,” he says. “It’s about being more pragmatic, businesslike and approaching it from a data-driven perspective. We think in the long run that’s a winning strategy.”
Source - https://www.delawarebusinesstimes.co...pture-flights/

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 4:22 PM

Wilmington - The Falls, Brandywine Creek, Alapocas State Park

These are going to be maybe the most scenic new apartments in the region when completed.

(New Townhouse at the top are selling like hotcakes, sold before completed, starting around 600K).

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 5:55 PM

^ I was just about to post a pic of that development I took from the same spot the other day! It’s going to be a really large complex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations