HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 9:55 PM

Philly is starting to get big city energy with all these infill projects. It’s mind blowing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Philly is starting to get big city energy with all these infill projects. It’s mind blowing.
Because Philly hasn’t been a big city for the last few hundred years? Im beginning to think you own several 20 million dollar penthouses in the biggest cities in the world

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Because Philly hasn’t been a big city for the last few hundred years? Im beginning to think you own several 20 million dollar penthouses in the biggest cities in the world
Ha. 🤷♂️

Philly is big, but it’s had a small city mentality for a long time. The city is starting to look more like it’s actual size, IMO.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Ha. 🤷♂️

Philly is big, but it’s had a small city mentality for a long time. The city is starting to look more like it’s actual size, IMO.
My impression is that this is true. I was talking to a coworker a few weeks ago that’s lived here his whole life and we were talking about how Philly has started to shift in the last few years to embracing the big city track. From NoLibs/Fishtown exploding in growth to the Sixers stadium to the Comcast buildings to the master plans for UCity/SY, etc.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Ha. 🤷♂️

Absolutely know what you mean. It was always geographically large, but provincial in its thinking and culture. Now there are parts outside of Center City that feel sophisticated and cool, like NoLibs/Fishtown, for example. I’ve had more than a few a friends be blown away at the reality of Philly compared to their expectation.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
That picture of the park wasn’t the most recent one. The driving range was going down the Penrose side, but that was ditched in the last update for more of the Meadows. But of course, the “protestors” don’t want a compromise. They want to stomp their feet and cry until they get their way 100%. “Immigrant Kids having a safe place to play soccer? I need to protest that!! Where will I be able to walk my Great Dane! It is not enough!”
Please feel free share a current map. Whyy just posted this one recently. Regardless of if it's 12 soccer fields or 8, no other sport is being dedicated even a fraction of the space as the soccer fields. it's very clear the insane number of soccer fields they're building is to satisfy the world cup and not to serve the citizens who use the park.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone playing soccer at FDR. And while I get there aren't soccer nets at FDR currently, whenever I walk by Marconi plaza up the street people are ALWAYS playing soccer. And there's not a proper soccer field at Marconi! They just use shirts to indicate where the goal posts are. Same thing for the field by 4th and Washington. Always playing soccer and I don't think there are nets there. The fields by South and 10th I'm pretty sure has a legit soccer field and it's always being used.

Why does basically every open plot of grass in South Philly regularly have people playing soccer on it, but never fdr where there is so much open space? Maybe because it's a secluded park distant from much of the population of South Philly? If they put up a nice soccer field in fdr, I'm sure people will travel to it but do you really think people will stop playing soccer at the green spaces located right in the middle of their communities? How much of a draw would a nicer field really be? How many are going to leave their neighborhoods, take the subway all the way south and then walk a mile to a soccer field in fdr? Some certainly will, but 12 soccer fields worth of people? Lol get real. At any given moment 3/4 of these soccer fields will be empty.

Fdr is huge, there is plenty of room for a large meadow that is at least as big as the one they're destroying at the airport so that people can enjoy nature and hundreds of thousands of Philadelphians who live in areas that flood will get some relief. And there's plenty of room for tons of sports fields of all types. There should absolutely be a soccer field or two at fdr. Hell, go nuts, build half a dozen. But 12 is absurd. Get real.

It's kind of ironic how you're portraying the people who disagree with you as petulant children considering the tone of your posts. I'll have to look into joining the friends of fdr Park. It's clear they need some people who will look out for the needs of the community instead of rolling over to suit wealthy special interests like the world cup.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 3:39 PM

Agree with you both, Gator and Repar.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 3:48 PM

Spark Therapeutics 3001 Chestnut St.

https://li.phila.gov/Property-Histor...PA-2022-003472

"FOR PRELIMINARY REVIEW OF THE ERECTION OF A 6-STORY STRUCTURE. FOR USE AS MANFACTURING, LAB BUILDING, AND ACCESSORY BUSINESS AND PROFRESSIONAL OFFICES. BBS VARIANCE GRANTED UNDER MI-2022-004572 ON 7/28/22 WITH NO PROVISOS."

http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...022-003390.pdf

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 3:53 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Please feel free share a current map. Whyy just posted this one recently. Regardless of if it's 12 soccer fields or 8, no other sport is being dedicated even a fraction of the space as the soccer fields. it's very clear the insane number of soccer fields they're building is to satisfy the world cup and not to serve the citizens who use the park.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone playing soccer at FDR. And while I get there aren't soccer nets at FDR currently, whenever I walk by Marconi plaza up the street people are ALWAYS playing soccer. And there's not a proper soccer field at Marconi! They just use shirts to indicate where the goal posts are. Same thing for the field by 4th and Washington. Always playing soccer and I don't think there are nets there. The fields by South and 10th I'm pretty sure has a legit soccer field and it's always being used.

Why does basically every open plot of grass in South Philly regularly have people playing soccer on it, but never fdr where there is so much open space? Maybe because it's a secluded park distant from much of the population of South Philly? If they put up a nice soccer field in fdr, I'm sure people will travel to it but do you really think people will stop playing soccer at the green spaces located right in the middle of their communities? How much of a draw would a nicer field really be? How many are going to leave their neighborhoods, take the subway all the way south and then walk a mile to a soccer field in fdr? Some certainly will, but 12 soccer fields worth of people? Lol get real. At any given moment 3/4 of these soccer fields will be empty.

Fdr is huge, there is plenty of room for a large meadow that is at least as big as the one they're destroying at the airport so that people can enjoy nature and hundreds of thousands of Philadelphians who live in areas that flood will get some relief. And there's plenty of room for tons of sports fields of all types. There should absolutely be a soccer field or two at fdr. Hell, go nuts, build half a dozen. But 12 is absurd. Get real.

It's kind of ironic how you're portraying the people who disagree with you as petulant children considering the tone of your posts. I'll have to look into joining the friends of fdr Park. It's clear they need some people who will look out for the needs of the community instead of rolling over to suit wealthy special interests like the world cup.
Looking up the FDR Park Plans I found a FAQ with some answers

https://myphillypark.org/explore/parks/fdr-park/faqs/

Quote:
A Gateway Plaza that will serve as a welcoming entrance for park users at the corner of Broad Street and Pattison Avenue.
The park’s first-ever Welcome Center with much-needed amenities, including public restrooms, concessions, equipment rentals, and a staffed information desk.
A 15-acre Great Lawn on the east side of Meadow Lake
8 acres of playspaces
36 picnic tables & 12 pavilions
Franklin 5K loop trail
12 multi-purpose fields
6 baseball/softball fields
10 tennis courts
8 basketball courts
Quote:
Initial goals called for 19 multi-purpose fields. We came up with a compromise. The 12 athletic fields became a reasonable balance for FDR Park between activity, water and nature, while still increasing much-needed access to high-quality fields. In addition, operational revenue from the fields will support ongoing maintenance, staffing, and upkeep for FDR Park in the long-term.
Quote:
There is NO stadium coming to FDR Park. The official World Cup matches will take place in Lincoln Financial Field. Several options are currently being considered to use as a temporary training site for a 2 – 8 week period during the 2026 World Cup, including 2 of the 12 multi-purpose fields planned for FDR Park. In return, Philadelphians get financial support to build these much-needed, already-planned fields that directly benefit generations of kids in our City. Whether or not FDR Park is selected as a temporary training site will not impact the Plan and amenities promised, including the construction of these fields. However it is our hope that in being selected we’ll gain funding momentum, working with Philadelphia Soccer 2026, and help propel more pieces of the project

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 4:42 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
Spark Therapeutics 3001 Chestnut St.

https://li.phila.gov/Property-Histor...PA-2022-003472

"FOR PRELIMINARY REVIEW OF THE ERECTION OF A 6-STORY STRUCTURE. FOR USE AS MANFACTURING, LAB BUILDING, AND ACCESSORY BUSINESS AND PROFRESSIONAL OFFICES. BBS VARIANCE GRANTED UNDER MI-2022-004572 ON 7/28/22 WITH NO PROVISOS."

http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...022-003390.pdf
Great to see Spark motivated with the project, but doesn't sound as impactful as the 3201 Cuthbert St. project

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 4:59 PM

CDR Submissions
1901 W Westmoreland: A solid project in an unsuspecting neighborhood: Tioga. Do we think this is the start of the rebirth of Tioga?
4600 E Roosevelt: It's what you'd expect to go up on East Roosevelt Boulevard.
3000 W Schoolhouse: Penn Charter Expansion.
20-30 W Allens Lane: Another ABSOLUTE BANGER by CANNO.
90 Rochelle: The first good design from JKRP I have seen in some time.
4200 Market: Back from last time.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 5:38 PM
Sky Wizard

i used to live on allen lane but had to move because it wasn't car friendly.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Looking up the FDR Park Plans I found a FAQ with some answers

https://myphillypark.org/explore/parks/fdr-park/faqs/
FDR is begging to have an annual music festival like Lollapalooza or Austin City Limits. The transportation infrastructure is unmatched with the Broad Street Line an ample parking at the stadiums. A portion of the proceeds should go to maintaining FDR's shiny new stuff which will surely be destroyed and covered in graffiti in 2 years.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 7:40 PM

I sure hope that Tioga will see an eventual rebirth. Not only is it one of the most architecturally beautiful neighborhoods in the city, but it is exploding with potential (to a lesser extent than Allegheny West, but still) now that the former Budd Factory is scheduled to become a life sciences building. Also, I actually did see some development happening as I ran through Tioga on my way to Center City from Roxborough last night. The most surprising was a large building rising behind the 23rd and Venango bus loop!

As for the Allens Lane development, I wish it were on Ridge Avenue (with commercial space) in Roxborough. Ridge Avenue is really densifying up here, but some of the projects are crimes against architecture. 6808 Ridge is a prime example of this:

https://phillyyimby.com/2022/08/part...ladelphia.html

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 7:53 PM
Sky Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I sure hope that Tioga will see an eventual rebirth. Not only is it one of the most architecturally beautiful neighborhoods in the city, but it is exploding with potential (to a lesser extent than Allegheny West, but still) now that the former Budd Factory is scheduled to become a life sciences building. Also, I actually did see some development happening as I ran through Tioga on my way to Center City from Roxborough last night. The most surprising was a large building rising behind the 23rd and Venango bus loop!

As for the Allens Lane development, I wish it were on Ridge Avenue (with commercial space) in Roxborough. Ridge Avenue is really densifying up here, but some of the projects are crimes against architecture. 6808 Ridge is a prime example of this:

https://phillyyimby.com/2022/08/part...ladelphia.html
Ridge Ave is a lot wider for my truck so I completely agree. although i am in delco now and i am upset that we're not getting nicer things like this,

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 8:41 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
FDR is begging to have an annual music festival like Lollapalooza or Austin City Limits. The transportation infrastructure is unmatched with the Broad Street Line an ample parking at the stadiums. A portion of the proceeds should go to maintaining FDR's shiny new stuff which will surely be destroyed and covered in graffiti in 2 years.
I don't really mind graffiti because they usually respect surfaces and put it on blank walls or poles compared to putting it on a window or just tagging.

A good way to solve graffiti issues is to

1.Hire the Artists to do murals and other art work around the city, such as utility boxes, those wide circular Concrete poles, Small Blank Walls & etc.

2.Designate graffiti zones in parks, and Alleys etc.

3.City Graffiti contests to find the best artist around.

There's plenty of ways to solve a problem you just have to be creative, and not outlaw every thing that you don't see fit. (This excludes Serious heinous crime incase anyone thinks im including that)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:41 PM

Quote:

Lots of people play soccer. There are nets are by the baseball fields in the back. The field is in really rough shape though. But I’m surprised you’ve never seen people play soccer there. There’s people playing pretty much every time I’m there. I would recommend going Sunday morning. They have tents set selling food and jerseys. Hundreds of people show up to watch the games. It’s really fun. There’s also the se Asian market there which is cool too

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
CDR Submissions
1901 W Westmoreland: A solid project in an unsuspecting neighborhood: Tioga. Do we think this is the start of the rebirth of Tioga?
Considering this is for senior housing and an adult daycare, not in the traditional rebirth sense, but even projects like this are nice to create some more jobs and activities. But yeah Tioga/Nicetown has incredible architecture and BSL/RR access. Parkside and Tioga are my personal top neighborhoods I'd like to see refurbished.

For 4200 Market, it's still nothing special, but looking at them side by side there are some nice changes. There's a bit of a cornice added, the orange copper fin accents are in a regular interval and on one floor instead of scattered, windows have more regularity, and the base looks much better. It says the white section is to be fiber cement panels and not metal panels which could look better than your typical JKRP special.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 10:02 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Considering this is for senior housing and an adult daycare, not in the traditional rebirth sense, but even projects like this are nice to create some more jobs and activities. But yeah Tioga/Nicetown has incredible architecture and BSL/RR access. Parkside and Tioga are my personal top neighborhoods I'd like to see refurbished.

For 4200 Market, it's still nothing special, but looking at them side by side there are some nice changes. There's a bit of a cornice added, the orange copper fin accents are in a regular interval and on one floor instead of scattered, windows have more regularity, and the base looks much better. It says the white section is to be fiber cement panels and not metal panels which could look better than your typical JKRP special.
Anything built in Parkside should 100% be copies of the homes that are there now. No boxes or quick for profit structures should be built in that area.

The architecture on those homes are A-1, some of the most beautiful in the city is it Victorian? and even those that are spilt into apartments boast some of the biggest apartments for the best prices in the city.

I was gonna check some out over there but someone told me that area is in war right now so I didn't.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
]

I don't think I've ever seen anyone playing soccer at FDR.
Clearly you haven't been to FDR on a Sunday. Those fields are packed with many Mexicans and Central Americans playing. There is a whole market they set up to accompany the games

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development