McNair Plaza [Tower 1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Houston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Houston Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:20 PM

The diagram for this building looks amazing, good job

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 3:12 PM
BANNED

I’d like to see the Galleria razed and rebuilt as an outdoor shopping center.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 4:02 PM

Yeah it looks very outdated, uptown could also use a park as well. Idk where you'd put it though

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
Yeah it looks very outdated, uptown could also use a park as well. Idk where you'd put it though
I agree. Houston has such outrageous amounts of wealth, and yet, all of these expensive stores are in a hideous concrete bunker. The River Oaks shopping center on Westheimer Road is so much nicer.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 5:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Nah, leave the Galleria alone. Yeah, it was built a long time ago and has a 'dated' design but there's not much in that era that was built before 1980. We shouldn't throw everything away that doesn't look up-to-date.

Plus, there is a growing outdoor shopping center along Post Oak and nearby Highland Village. The main issue with the Galleria is the crime which is pretty ease to solve.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Nah, leave the Galleria alone. Yeah, it was built a long time ago and has a 'dated' design but there's not much in that era that was built before 1980. We shouldn't throw everything away that doesn't look up-to-date.

Plus, there is a growing outdoor shopping center along Post Oak and nearby Highland Village. The main issue with the Galleria is the crime which is pretty ease to solve.
You're the local, so I'll defer to you. I quite like Houston and the Galleria area, but to me, this mall looks like a concrete bunker. Also, I think that this area has the potential to be more vibrant to DT Houston, but this massive fortress impedes pedestrianization and liveliness.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
You're the local, so I'll defer to you. I quite like Houston and the Galleria area, but to me, this mall looks like a concrete bunker. Also, I think that this area has the potential to be more vibrant to DT Houston, but this massive fortress impedes pedestrianization and liveliness.
I think the Houston Galleria is considered one of the main standouts of indoor malls, so I would be shocked if it was raised. Although malls have declined and there are still too many, I think most metros have one or two high end standouts that are still very popular.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 4:34 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
There's nothing pedestrian about that part of town. It's densely populated and well developed but highly auto oriented and this is Houston where it gets to be 500 degrees in the summer so a huge (upscale) airconditioned mall is welcomed.

The only 'bunkerish' part of the Galleria is Neiman Marcus which is a great example of brutalism and designed by HOK. The rest of the mall is forgettable architecturally apart from the old Philip Johnson Saks Fifth Avenue which was ruined from a remodel a few years ago.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 11:44 AM
BANNED

I know that it's not pedestrianized. I'm saying that it could be with changes, despite the weather. Miami is hot too, but it's far less car-centric. Maybe it's a result of different cultures. Miami grew with NY transplants. Perhaps Houston grew with Califorinia transplants.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
I know that it's not pedestrianized. I'm saying that it could be with changes, despite the weather. Miami is hot too, but it's far less car-centric. Maybe it's a result of different cultures. Miami grew with NY transplants. Perhaps Houston grew with Califorinia transplants.
Miami's only 36 sq miles of land per Wiki while Houston is 640 sq miles. And while Miami, south Florida is very car-centric once you leave the beach areas and go west, with strip mall after strip mall that you have to drive to. So, who moved there probably has nothing to do with it.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 2:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Miami's only 36 sq miles of land per Wiki while Houston is 640 sq miles. And while Miami, south Florida is very car-centric once you leave the beach areas and go west, with strip mall after strip mall that you have to drive to. So, who moved there probably has nothing to do with it.
I'm speaking about Miami itself -- not the area west of it.

Anyway, back to Houston...

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 6:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Miami was developed earlier and only grew only about 75% since 1950. Houston quadrupled in population since then while the Uptown/ Galleria area was mostly farmland as late as the 60's. Houston's inner loop is becoming more urban but Uptown is a lost cause.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 6:42 PM

Is this U/C? It says it is in the Houston diagram

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:55 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
Is this U/C? It says it is in the Houston diagram
It could be erroneous. I feel like there would have been a ground breaking ceremony / it would be getting more coverage were it actually U/C.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals