HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 7:58 PM

I suspect Silverstein planned to give the design reveal to an outlet like the NY Post as an exclusive to run during the Build NY Expo advertised above. The leaks spoiled that, but I still expect the official release to come then.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 8:03 PM
BANNED

This is going to look amazing.

I look forward to seeing this icon fill in the gap.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Feb 15, 2022 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:07 AM

Well, regardless of the ~1350' height given, those new renders clearly show that 2WTC is taller than 1 WTC by a good 25-50'.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:32 AM

I like the new design, although it's trying a bit too hard with the greenery terraces.

The underlying scheme is sound, and it doesn't have the problem the two previous designs had where it only looks good from certain angles. It's also an extremely commercial design with appealing amenities that will get it rented fast.

I remember when the Ingels design appeared and everyone hated it, though eventually most people warmed up to it. This one is being accepted much more quickly here, and I think the public will agree.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:52 AM

There aren't many renders of what 2 WTC will look like from Church Street (arguably one of the most important and impressionable views of the entire complex, just like the original WTC).

This 2016 render from BizBash gives a general idea of what the view from Church Street might look like when 2 WTC is built. As the biggest changes in 2 WTC design have not been to the base (with the exception of the BIG design), although this render is older, it might show a very general depiction what the complex will look like from Church Street when/if 2 WTC is built, with the exception of Fulton Street running between the Oculus and 2 WTC that isn't present in the render.

Here is another render with the original Foster design that looks from Church Street to the WTC complex. This render is more confusing because the base of 2 WTC appears to extend too far east so that it is not aligned with the east entrance of the Oculus.

Renders of the view of the BIG design from the corner of Church and Vesey Streets might look similar in overall configuration to view of the newest design of 2 WTC from this vantage point considering the stacked nature of the newest design.

Overall imo this newest design has some similarities to the previous designs (both the older Foster + Partners design and the BIG design). Whatever is built will probably have some elements of the previous designs present in some way.

Last edited by worldtrade2021; Feb 16, 2022 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 4:19 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlosborne1 View Post
Around 1350 feet height? So much for this being taller than 1 WTC roof height. What a shame. It really had a nice impact at ~1400 feet in the renders.
The official number was never mentioned. Plus, the renders are what one should go by. Also, if you look carefully; 1,350' is what appears to be main roof before the top portion. It appears there may be some kind of public viewing/observatory space in the uppermost portion of the building perhaps that will be on par with the height of the original Tower 2.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlosborne1 View Post
I totally disagree. I couldn’t be more unhappy with the WTC project as a whole. I think the treatment to the victims and survivors of the attacks are not being honored in anyway by 20+ years of construction. Further, what does it show to the terrorists themselves if they wait decades to finish the project, especially since there is no explicit reason delaying the project?

Not to mention the lack of rebuilding twin towers. Or the fact that 1 WTC lost its decorative spire. And 3 WTC was reduced in scale and height and lost its spires.

In my opinion, they should have rebuilt the twin towers each at 1500 feet roof height, with one WTC having a spire reaching 2000 feet (or more).

Also, where is 6 WTC?!
This video by B1M from last year kinda sums up how the entire complex is one big compromise. While we did get most of the site built up, it's far from what could've been:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:54 PM

Nobody says the Memorial or the Oculus are compromises. That's probably why you didn't show the buildings in the pics. The towers are just the most simple and boring blue glass designs.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Nobody says the Memorial or the Oculus are compromises. That's probably why you didn't show the buildings in the pics. The towers are just the most simple and boring blue glass designs.
I think they should have chosen one developer for the whole project rather than superstars for each building. People also seem to reminisce the original WTC as if they were such architectural wonders. Well, they were not!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I think they should have chosen one developer for the whole project rather than superstars for each building. People also seem to reminisce the original WTC as if they were such architectural wonders. Well, they were not!
I agree they should have stuck with one designer for the whole WTC complex.

I strongly disagree about your view about the original towers. They were an incredible design and feat of engineering. Their absence is still felt.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 6:36 PM
BANNED

The Greatest City in the World is blessed!

The new design is preferable to Foster’s original in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 8:33 PM

These leaked designs are not necessarily the final design that is planned to be constructed. However it appears the current plans are to build on the pre-existing foundation, meaning that it is right now planned for 2 WTC to have the same footprint as the original 2006 Fosters + Partners design had.

Quote:
However, these renderings are "premature," according to Dara McQuillan, chief marketing officer at Two World Trade Center developer Silverstein Properties.

"We haven't finished designing the building," he told Dezeen.
Quote:

The new images, as seen in The Architect's Newspaper, show how the tower will be divided into a series of different vertical elements that step down from the tallest, which is projected to stand 1,350 feet tall.

The vertical sections are divided by metal fins that run the height of the building, sticking out from the exterior.

The tallest faces of the tower have cut-outs that form terraces, while shorter vertical elements cascade in setbacks on the east side to create open-air balconies.

These connect spaces inside the building, including a covered concert hall, with the exterior. Green roofs cover the top three elevations.

The structure will be developed by Silverstein Projects using a pre-existing foundation. Currently, the site of Two World Trade Center serves as an additional entrance to the PATH subway station.
https://www.dezeen.com/2022/02/16/tw...ster-partners/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 9:00 PM
BANNED

If anything, the quote from Silverstein confirms that these are official images which represent the latest design. Obviously, the design might be tweaked somewhat, but this is basically the present design. If this weren’t the case, SP would have said so unequivocally.

I attribute the caginess to the fact that SP’s grand unveiling was thwarted.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 1:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
If anything, the quote from Silverstein confirms that these are official images which represent the latest design. Obviously, the design might be tweaked somewhat, but this is basically the present design. If this weren’t the case, SP would have said so unequivocally.

I attribute the caginess to the fact that SP’s grand unveiling was thwarted.
Word on the street is that this is the design.

I like it too! Much better than Ingel's design. Kind of of a middle ground between the original Foster and this one but one I think most will compromise on.

As for the size, correlates to the original foundation, which won't change (would be asinine in its costs to do so).

Large floors, a design with ample sun coverage, open congregation spaces distributed throughout the tower... what the modern tenants are looking for.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 4:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

I like it too! Much better than Ingel's design. Kind of of a middle ground between the original Foster and this one but one I think most will compromise on.

As for the size, correlates to the original foundation, which won't change (would be asinine in its costs to do so).

Large floors, a design with ample sun coverage, open congregation spaces distributed throughout the tower... what the modern tenants are looking for.
I agree, Chris. I look forward to yet another icon in NY.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 2:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

I agree, and it's in keeping with the theme of the B1M video that the design of 1WTC was about compromise. For 2WTC, I like Foster's original design best by far, Ingels' was terrible, and this one is acceptable. So the site will end up with several acceptable buildings but no standouts. At least midtown and Brooklyn are getting some.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 10:19 PM
Everywhere all at once

Yes I think they finally got it right this time with 2 WTC ...they clearly have learned from Hudson Yards with this new design. Hopefully this reveal is a pretext for construction to begin soon.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 10:42 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Yes I think they finally got it right this time with 2 WTC ...they clearly have learned from Hudson Yards with this new design. Hopefully this reveal is a pretext for construction to begin soon.
As much as I loved Foster's design I agree this is still a pretty good alternative. I hope what gets built here will be similar to the renderings floating around this past month.

I'm glad it basically matches 1WTC in roof height too, it'll be nice to have two quarter mile+ giants in the financial district again.

Since 5WTC supposedly will start next year, I hope 2WTC can rise alongside it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 2:29 AM
Walk taker

I don't trust any rendering that throws that much greenery onto a tower. There's no way that those very top floors would have green roofs, and I'd be surprised if the developer ever actually plants gardens as lush as the ones they propose.

Architects love to plaster plants onto buildings in an effort to make them appear eco-conscious, and I find it disingenuous at best.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 8:40 PM

Animations from my 3D model

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction