HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Because a traditional 3-flat has zero accessible units. You can slide it down a 1/2 story to create one accessible unit on the ground floor... the other two units are not accessible unless you build an elevator, but the cost of that won't pencil.

This is permanent supportive housing, so serving the needs of people with disabilities is the whole reason for being. This design is provide one fully accessible unit (simplex unit in front) and two visitable units (duplex in middle and rear).

Typically supportive housing is provided in larger elevator buildings, but this is a different scattered site approach. For this area of North Lawndale I'm in favor of anything that fills in the vacant lots... Also only the first rendering is a 3-flat. The second rendering is a pair of 6-flats.
They're just a contemporary version of this early 00s(?) type: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9084...7i16384!8i8192

While the design and rendering are a nice political tool (new ideas for a new world!), I don't find the design appropriate for this type of thing (even though I like it). The budget probably won't allow for the high-quality colored paneling that will resist fading over the years, and I don't imagine that a sharp & rectilinear metal volume is approachable & home-y for someone in need of supportive housing. It looks like the residential equivalent of the wannabe International Style bank branches that have cropped up everywhere over the last 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:07 PM
TL;DR

I'm guessing the JGMA projects will be precast panel - that seems to be the hot material right now for all kinds of subsidized housing in Chicago.

Actually the YIMBY article does specify a metal panel. Interesting - I assume that means the buildings will be stick framed.

I go back and forth on the style question - you don't want to stigmatize residents by making their buildings stand out starkly, but you can argue the stigma would exist regardless. I think the colors are pretty cheery and there is attention paid to outdoor and common space that wouldn't exist in a more traditional format.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

This is permanent supportive housing, so serving the needs of people with disabilities is the whole reason for being. This design is provide one fully accessible unit (simplex unit in front) and two visitable units (duplex in middle and rear).
gotcha. this is all about accessibilty. that would've been helpful to know.

i generally MUCH prefer the "ground" floor of a residential building to be at least a handful of risers above grade, but yeah, that comes with inherent non-accessbility issues for small-scale multi-family.

in that light, it's a fine work around, but i still don't like the scale imbalance in the first image of the new 2 story accessbilbe 3-flat up against a traditional 3-flat. not sure i have any better ideas though (ramps and other lower-cost elevation change solutions typically come with their own set of functional/aesthetic problems too).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing the JGMA projects will be precast panel - that seems to be the hot material right now for all kinds of subsidized housing in Chicago.

Actually the YIMBY article does specify a metal panel. Interesting - I assume that means the buildings will be stick framed.

I go back and forth on the style question - you don't want to stigmatize residents by making their buildings stand out starkly, but you can argue the stigma would exist regardless. I think the colors are pretty cheery and there is attention paid to outdoor and common space that wouldn't exist in a more traditional format.
Yeah, I suppose I'm ambivalent about them too, the more I look at them. The colors are punchy but then maybe not in a good way, I dunno. I like them more (in theory) than the hipped roof/siding/brick format. All the crisp angles and hard materials with the kinetic offset between floors starts to verge into something jarring and sharp rather than welcoming, but if they likewise create a beacon of fresh optimism in their local environment, that's a nice quality, certainly. I really like the way a similar concept is rendered in a lot of the Landon Bone Baker stuff, and I suppose these could turn out similarly nicely.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 7:20 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
gotcha. this is all about accessibilty. that would've been helpful to know.

i generally MUCH prefer the "ground" floor of a residential building to be at least a handful of risers above grade, but yeah, that comes with inherent non-accessbility issues for small-scale multi-family.
Yeah for privacy concerns I agree with you. Personally I would much rather be 3 ft above the sidewalk than directly at the same level. In large buildings you can use elevators to provide accessibility, but for the 2-6 unit buildings that dominate many Chicago neighborhoods, you have to make some big tradeoffs for accessibility since elevators don't fit in the budget.

Quote:
in that light, it's a fine work around, but i still don't like the scale imbalance in the first image of the new 2 story accessbilbe 3-flat up against a traditional 3-flat. not sure i have any better ideas though (ramps and other lower-cost elevation change solutions typically come with their own set of functional/aesthetic problems too).
I suspect also that the design is stick-framed wood (Type V-B). This is the cheapest way to build, but Chicago code limits this type to only two stories with a sprinkler system.

In areas with expensive land, builders will use a more expensive construction type (masonry or steel) to use the land efficiently. In Homan Square where the land is basically free, the incentive is to build as cheaply as possible in order to stretch your limited housing budget. Going from wood to masonry might mean they have to cut one or two housing units out of the project.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 8:11 PM

It’s really not often you see supportive housing in a townhouse style format. I suppose that’s to separate itself from the feel of concentrated housing. Though to be fair to multi-level elevator buildings, nearly 100% of the units can be accessible and you can save money on land costs. It probably looks so out of place because it’s right up against a 4 story building. But these would probably fit in with the scale adjacent to Chicago bungalows.

Not sure how I feel about the bright colors. I’ve always felt the overall envelope should convey the natural color of the material while windows and doors and railing elements can be the bright accents…which are always changeable

The design reminds me of these 3D printed homes in Austin with the bright panel surrounds. I actually think the Austin designs have more in common with Chicago where there’s the expressive natural texture of their construction. In this case, the layers of printed concrete would look very contextual with Chicago’s crude common brick walls.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tiny...ess-2020-3?amp

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 8:55 PM

as of this afternoon, the general iron @ Lincoln Yards/Lincoln Park is now mostly demolished.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/11...ilco-disaster/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 12:16 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
One of the first permits issued for several JGMA designed 3-flats in Homan Square. Certainly these are the most, let's say, unique 3-flats I've seen

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/12/per...velopment.html

Well that certainly is... something.

It's hard to understand how a design firm could feel good about doing that... actually making that become an actual thing in that actual place.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:12 AM

ya looks like a po-mo prison complex

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 7:57 AM

These are not too different from the commie blocks I grew up in Poland, which are gradually getting painted over to (quite successfully) make them less dreary. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2672...7i13312!8i6656 Except they paint the whole building and use pastels which looks better IMO.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 1:20 PM
Avid Observer

I'm looking at how nice the next-door brownstone is.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 5:29 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
These are not too different from the commie blocks I grew up in Poland, which are gradually getting painted over to (quite successfully) make them less dreary. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2672...7i13312!8i6656 Except they paint the whole building and use pastels which looks better IMO.
Those look pretty nice. 90% is about upkeep. Such designs will look plenty fine if you paint regularly and do basic maintenance. If you don't, they'll look like trash in 10 years.

It does seem like the Homan Square designers may be trying to ride the wave of box-container chic a bit too readily though.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

Now show us what happens when the neighboring lot gets developed.

I understand the need, I understand the limitations, I don't find the result critically thought out.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:34 AM

Not really news, but yesterday I went to work out of the new WeWork in Uptown in the BridgeView Bank. Was super impressed! It kinda reminded me of some of the WeWork I went to in Paris last year that were retrofitted into super old buildings. Not many folks inside of it though, which was disappointing. I really hope it picks up though as it's such a cool little area right by the Uptown Theater (crossing fingers financing falls into place to renovate that in the future).

https://www.wework.com/buildings/bri...n--chicago--IL

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Not really news, but yesterday I went to work out of the new WeWork in Uptown in the BridgeView Bank. Was super impressed! It kinda reminded me of some of the WeWork I went to in Paris last year that were retrofitted into super old buildings. Not many folks inside of it though, which was disappointing. I really hope it picks up though as it's such a cool little area right by the Uptown Theater (crossing fingers financing falls into place to renovate that in the future).

https://www.wework.com/buildings/bri...n--chicago--IL
Someone I know tried to get a space there and was told there weren't any available. So seems like it leased/subscribed (whatever...) quickly.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 7:34 PM

1257 W Roosevelt got construction permits yesterday

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/02/cit...west-side.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Someone I know tried to get a space there and was told there weren't any available. So seems like it leased/subscribed (whatever...) quickly.
I would hope that's the case. They did just open last week, so maybe it's going to fill up over time. I would love to see it succeed in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 9:23 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
According to the firm representing the condo sales, Phase 1 of "Archer Center", the 170+ condo unit development in the 3200 block of S Archer Ave, is sold out and they're going to start phase 2 construction soon (or already have).

Pretty ugly buildings (makes sense TBH) but hopefully they fill up some of the ground floor business spaces and I guess it's nice added density to what used to be a scrap yard

https://www.google.com/maps/place/32...!4d-87.6692643

In case anybody wants to know what these units are like inside LOL. The price per square foot if the square footage is even accurate is actually kind of high for the area..
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/32...home/181828323

These are incredibly awful. Out of curiosity, why does that awfulness make sense to you? There's really no reason for it, it's practically gratuitous. Could do something at a pretty similar price point that sucks 75% less.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
These are incredibly awful. Out of curiosity, why does that awfulness make sense to you? There's really no reason for it, it's practically gratuitous. Could do something at a pretty similar price point that sucks 75% less.
I would assume sold to small time, first time, wanabe landlords.

These condos make me sad.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 10:13 PM

i cant imagine paying $260,000 actual US dollars for that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development