HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 1:15 AM
E pluribus unum

That wasn't intentional

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 11:09 PM
E pluribus unum

I don't know if anyone still checks in here, but Tom Morgan/Ex-Ithacan passed away on 7/8/2020. More information in Skybar.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 2:35 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Sad sad news. He was such an awesome person.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:44 PM
E pluribus unum

Seriously. This one hits harder than normal. Stand-up guy.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:52 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

What's up? Any, I'm still above ground. We're trying to keep my last remaining grandparent safe, who is nearing 100. Same with my mom, who has an auto-immune disease; fortunately, she has a pretty understanding employer, so she hasn't had to directly interact with the public and she still has a job. We're all trying to maintain our mental health. This has been successful sometimes more than others. Already have had three COVID tests, all of them negative, fortunately. No one in the immediate family has died, though we have had deaths in the extended family. A sister had a COVID-related stroke, though she has recovered more quickly than expected. It hit Detroit hard in the early days, but the governor was able to get things under control to some degree with the strict(er) lockdown.

Right now, just waiting for the election to get here; my ballot arrives this week; I've been counting down the weeks.

I'm over at our sister site regularly, though mainly just to provide local updates and stay current on development news in this part of the country. I'll try to check back over more often from time to time, but don't feel at the moment that I'm ready to be back over here regularly. I hope all is as well with you guys as can be, at least as well as it can be, right now.

Reading about Tom is pretty devastating. I almost don't know what to say. He was one of the OGs and a calming and stabilizing force in those times when things used to get out of control, here. Reading through Skybar, it looks like his family and young grandchildren provided him with joy until the very end. This world could use many, many more Toms, the kind of people who make you want to be a better person. I'll have to leave a similar comment over in Skybar.

May he rest in eternal strength.

See you all around.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:11 PM
somewhere in-between

Welcome back. I think I speak the obvious (and for all) when I say your presence has been missed. I've missed your Lansing updates around here - that thread has basically gone silent. I've thought about trying to keep it going. But alas, time... I've especially missed your wisdom when it comes to grounding any conversation with solid facts, reasoning, and a level head. Sometimes we need more of that around here, not to mention in all aspects of life.

Thankfully, I know where to find you over on SSC and I understand needing to unplug, whatever the reason(s). I took a break from SSP for a long stretch a few years ago.

Tom's passing sucks. I never met him personally, but still felt like I knew him in a way. I loved his Ithaca updates and his random google street view discoveries. He was always supportive and genuinely interested in other people's stories, interests, cities, etc. He had a great sense of humor and awareness of things. It's weird (but good) how his posts and memory can live on through this forum.

We have one grandparent remaining too (my wife's grandfather on her dad's side). He is approaching 100 as well. He recently lost his long-time partner earlier this year and is heartbroken (non-COVID, but still sucks). The family just moved him from a retirement community in Florida into our aunt & uncle's place in Virginia. For being almost a century old, he is still remarkably mobile and mentally sharp. I think there were many reasons for the move - COVID-19 among them, but also, just the exorbitant cost and the painful memories of remaining in a facility where his partner passed away.

Stick with it. One day at a time.

See ya around too.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:13 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Justin says
newfie is kinda like "nigger" i guess
not so bad when we say it
but it might raise a few eyebrows if it comes from a mainlander
Second n-word use for vid!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 9:15 PM
I am a typical

Honestly seeing those posts from nearly a decade ago just makes me miss the old days.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 2:25 PM
somewhere in-between

How's everyone doing? I miss the buzz of activity around a lot of the Midwest threads, especially Michigan. It seems like a of of folks have checked out.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:13 AM

Not sure if this is in bounds, but I've found my favorite "lopsided" skyline.

Minneapolis in 1973 when the IDS Center opened.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:55 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Wow. I always felt like the Detroit skyline looked lopsided after the Renaissance Center opened (depending on the angle). But this takes the cake.

At this point, it's so quiet on this thread, I think almost anything is in bounds

Last edited by deja vu; Jun 8, 2021 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

yeah, '70s MPLS with the domineering IDS is one of the most imbalanced skylines of all time.

north michigan avenue was pretty imbalanced too back in the day when JHC was brand new.

source: https://interactive.wttw.com/playlis...hancock-center

these days, this is the US city that first pops into my mind when i think "imbalanced skyline"

source: https://www.wrcok.com/blog/42/Are+Yo...th+The+City%21

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 8, 2021 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, '70s MPLS with the domineering IDS is one of the most imbalanced skylines of all times.

north michigan avenue was pretty imbalanced too back in the day when JHC was brand new.

source: https://interactive.wttw.com/playlis...hancock-center
(2001: A Space Odyssey obelisk wail)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 6:35 PM
Registered Ugly

This may have been an exaggeration I heard from a family member at some point, but I distinctly remember an uncle telling me that western Michigan was "supposed to be" Hollywood, but the movie makers left for Southern California in the early part of the last century due to the weather. Is there any truth to this?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:59 PM
not cleavefied

Time for my first post in a decade!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 8:04 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope View Post
Time for my first post in a decade!
Damn, and I was hoping by the time you came back you'd have to update your icon.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 8:18 PM
not cleavefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Damn, and I was hoping by the time you came back you'd have to update your icon.

if only MayDay will make me a new one

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 8:38 AM

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 11:19 AM
somewhere in-between

Not a peep on SSP (that I saw) about the horrible shooting at Michigan State University a few days ago.

Are we just THAT desensitized to this crap? 3 killed, 5 others injured, plus the shooter took his life... I guess that doesn't grab headlines for long these days.

For some of these kids, it was the second ordeal of this nature they had to go through in their youth. Several had been present for the Oxford High School shooting or the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting (that makes me feel old). One of my coworker's sons watched the scene unfold from the window of his residence.

Source: The Washington Post

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 5:20 PM
Registered Ugly

Truly sad. What shocked me were all the false reports as it was happening. Not to be negative but that gave me very little hope for humanity. Maybe they were just mistakes but some felt like they were intentional. Who does that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest