HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:01 PM

Ouch..

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:13 PM
the first stamp is free

That's a total structural redesign.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
That's a total structural redesign.
And that was when they made changes to lower the cost to $61 million, now there doing an "extensive" redesign, so we will see what else they remove or scale back.

One thing that I noticed is they did not switch the rink to a slab on grade, piles driven throughout the area where the rink will go.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:24 PM

So it's going to look more like a small town barn instead of the aspiring little city rink... but will any functionality change?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:47 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
And that was when they made changes to lower the cost to $61 million, now there doing an "extensive" redesign, so we will see what else they remove or scale back.

One thing that I noticed is they did not switch the rink to a slab on grade, piles driven throughout the area where the rink will go.
That's good. A structural floor is always money well spent.

But those other structural re-design requirements - yeesh. Sounds like there is/was a disconnect between the architectural vision for this building and the budget. Us structural guys just hold up whatever the architect's want us to.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The best barn in the MJHL is Stride Place, that is where the bar is set. It cost $44 million 13 years ago, but that is also for a fairly substantial aquatic centre, fitness centre and a secondary rink. This is the main arena:

Tenders for the Steinbach venue came in at $61 million, that's for an arena, a gym/hall facility, and an atrium. So a more basic complex, but more expensive. They already dialed it back from a $75-$80 million project.

There have been a lot of structural problems with the Portage facility. Litigation is still ongoing. The aquatic centre was closed for a whole year because the roof needed to be replaced less than 5 years in due to corrosion as it was not built to handle the humidity from a pool (stainless steel) which left the roof in danger of collapse in the case of heavy snow.

The rinks have drainage issues. The pool was regularly closed for weeks at a time due to leaks until they fixed the whole structure while they did the roof. They cut a ton of corners and have spent probably another $5 million on the place to make it functional on top of the $2 million the council had to borrow to finish it, some will get back in litigation.

Was actually a huge issue in the region. Whole RM council got booted at next election for getting involved in the facility and a lot of the PLAP council didn't run for re-election.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 9:34 PM

^ I recall hearing about problems with the pool, the closure was a prominent news story. I didn't realize that problems extended to the rink, though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I recall hearing about problems with the pool, the closure was a prominent news story. I didn't realize that problems extended to the rink, though.
I would say it would be nice for any governments involved in these facilities to be straight up with the costs. The Portage rink was sold as "we can get all this for only this amount" much like IGF. And there were clear issues and running out of money even during construction before it could open, again like IGF.

They seem to think politically it's better to present a low and unreasonable price tag, deal with the consequences of that later, rather than being realistic and honest.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:01 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Us structural guys just hold up whatever the architect's want us to.
HA!

and then add a 50% cover-my-ass factor.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:13 AM
surely you agree with me

my firm has done a few nice rinks in the past.

estevan was a good one...2600 seats
https://www.numberten.com/projects/affinity-place

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Steinbach would probably be a much better fit for the ice as they would be a much bigger deal there and still close enough to Winnipeg for corporate sponsors.
If they are value-engineering the arena then it's unlikely it will be suitable for a WHL team. As it was originally rendered, it didn't really look like it would meet the minimum standards.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
It just goes to show, the cheapest you can building something is right now. The more you delay the worse. Winnipeg got super lucky with the new arena downtown as well. You can't build that facility for anywhere less than double what True North paid back in 2004, even accounting for inflation.
At this point, I'm sure it's well over double the amount to build the original MTS Centre without all the additional bells and whistles that have been added in the last decade.

That's disappointing regarding the Steinbach arena given it is a city that appeared to "go big" in the past. Even the new parking lot sounds ghetto...gravel instead of paved. Several towns out there that are a fraction of the size of Steinbach that have paved parking lots.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:17 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
HA!

and then add a 50% cover-my-ass factor.
Only for live loads

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:18 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

Who is the architect for the Steinbach one?

Maybe Number10 should have lunch with the guys that own the Ice...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:33 AM

Well Steinbach is well known for their “ cheapness “ so I am not surprised but build the thing properly dammit , they have needed a new building there for 20 years and procrastinated and procrastinated so long that the costs went up alot , DO IT RIGHT !!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 3:30 AM

Quote:

Nice rink. It gives off US college vibes.

What is the logic behind the U shaped seating bowl as compared to a full bowl, or just seating along the two long sides (as in Virden)? Is this done with a view to future expansion potential? Concert layout? Or some other reason?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Who is the architect for the Steinbach one?
Verne Reimer

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 10:53 AM

You say Stride Place in PLP is the best rink in MJ. I'd argue Dauphin (1750), Selkirk (2750) and Virden (1200) are all up there. Crowds different story, but all are decent rinks

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
There have been a lot of structural problems with the Portage facility. Litigation is still ongoing. The aquatic centre was closed for a whole year because the roof needed to be replaced less than 5 years in due to corrosion as it was not built to handle the humidity from a pool (stainless steel) which left the roof in danger of collapse in the case of heavy snow.

The rinks have drainage issues. The pool was regularly closed for weeks at a time due to leaks until they fixed the whole structure while they did the roof. They cut a ton of corners and have spent probably another $5 million on the place to make it functional on top of the $2 million the council had to borrow to finish it, some will get back in litigation.

Was actually a huge issue in the region. Whole RM council got booted at next election for getting involved in the facility and a lot of the PLAP council didn't run for re-election.
Sounds like a classic Manitoba project, or a project in Montreal.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
You say Stride Place in PLP is the best rink in MJ. I'd argue Dauphin (1750), Selkirk (2750) and Virden (1200) are all up there. Crowds different story, but all are decent rinks
Those rinks are all nice, but Stride Place is much newer than Dauphin and Selkirk so it still has a bit of that new rink sizzle, ha. But in seriousness, Stride Place is a lovely building with a nice big lobby, lots of room, daylight in the seating bowl and other nice features. I'd say that Dauphin is right up there too, they are very similar buildings. Selkirk is older and a little more plain.

Virden's rink is very nice too, but it is definitely smaller than the other three. It's good, but it feels a little more small town. Not as small as Niverville's (which is also nice), but still pretty small.

On that note, I wonder if Winkler and Neepawa will get new buildings anytime soon? For two growing, prosperous communities their rinks are on the smaller and older side of things.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan