HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Groundwork began last week, just removing tree stumps and building a chain-link fence around the site.

Fun fact, they had to build a new ODR to make way for the new multiplex. The boards on the new ODR are made from trees that had to be cut down to allow for this project.
Sorry but what is an ODR?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Sorry but what is an ODR?
Outdoor rink

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:12 AM

Heard from someone on the inside that this project is "undergoing an extensive redesign process"

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Heard from someone on the inside that this project is "undergoing an extensive redesign process"
Enlarging to add suites/club seats and additional seating for the inevitable relocation of the ICE to Steinbach no doubt.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:20 AM

Will they be the Steinbach Ice? Maybe switch to the Red River Flood?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:25 PM
What could go wrong?

The dreaded Value Engineering. I can confirm this is happening now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
If it's going to be value engineered down to something like Stride Place in Portage then that's fine. But if Stride Place is the starting point and it's getting chiseled down from that, then it's not ideal.

Although I suppose that much like with Canada Life Centre, it can always be built to a somewhat barebones spec and then have features added as required and as the budget allows in the future...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:59 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Interesting. The CBC had an article recently about how Steinbach has an unofficial policy to take out maximum 5-year loans for all infrastructure projects - including this new arena, even tho the costs had ballooned. Maybe there is a bit of push back now that it's time to start paying the bill.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:17 PM

Steinbach would probably be a much better fit for the ice as they would be a much bigger deal there and still close enough to Winnipeg for corporate sponsors.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Steinbach would probably be a much better fit for the ice as they would be a much bigger deal there and still close enough to Winnipeg for corporate sponsors.
I don't think Steinbach is an easy answer for the ICE. Steinbach is still not that big (just shy of 18,000) and it's far enough from Winnipeg that I don't think they can rely on many Winnipeg sponsors or fans making the move. I mean, I'm a pretty big fan of the team, but if they moved to Steinbach I'd go from being a season ticket holder to a once or twice a season kind of fan, it's not a drive I'd be willing to make on a regular basis. I doubt many Winnipeggers would be making the drive out there, especially the legions of minor hockey teams that the ICE often use to fill up the seats behind the nets.

And if Steinbach is balking at the cost of a MJHL-calibre arena, it seems unlikely to me that they are going to be OK with suddenly doubling or tripling the cost of the arena to accommodate the WHL.

None of things are insurmountable on their own, but there is definitely a combination of obstacles that would be hard to overcome if the team moved to Steinbach.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:27 PM

Quote:
The WHL would never grant a team to Steinbach, unless it was only a temporary measure. The city does not have the population to support it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Yup, I've been requested to find cost savings for my scope.

New structural drawings coming in about 2 weeks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:20 PM

^ So this isn't so much about going with cheaper finishes as it is about making the whole place smaller?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ So this isn't so much about going with cheaper finishes as it is about making the whole place smaller?
They've finished driving piles for the main arena, but I could definitely see them downsizing the atrium and the "multi-purpose room/walking track"

Once I get the structural set I will give updates if possible

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:01 PM
What could go wrong?

It is about the project costing to much. The savings will come in many forms, size, finishes etc.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 6:28 PM
the first stamp is free

I get the sense that Steinbach will want this facility to be top tier in terms on the MJHL. I doubt they will want to cut back too much.

Projects I have worked on in the past in Steinbach were basically immune to cost increases (as in no one cared).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I get the sense that Steinbach will want this facility to be top tier in terms on the MJHL. I doubt they will want to cut back too much.

Projects I have worked on in the past in Steinbach were basically immune to cost increases (as in no one cared).
The best barn in the MJHL is Stride Place, that is where the bar is set. It cost $44 million 13 years ago, but that is also for a fairly substantial aquatic centre, fitness centre and a secondary rink. This is the main arena:

Tenders for the Steinbach venue came in at $61 million, that's for an arena, a gym/hall facility, and an atrium. So a more basic complex, but more expensive. They already dialed it back from a $75-$80 million project.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 7:47 PM
the first stamp is free

^ my daughter has played a few ringette games there. I was blown away at that facility the first time I saw it. It's gorgeous.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 7:50 PM
the first stamp is free

It just goes to show, the cheapest you can building something is right now. The more you delay the worse. Winnipeg got super lucky with the new arena downtown as well. You can't build that facility for anywhere less than double what True North paid back in 2004, even accounting for inflation.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 7:54 PM

The below is from September 2022 after tenders were submitted

Graham Construction has developed the following potential value engineering items and request that if the item is applicable to your scope of work, please provide additional credits.

Concrete Finishes
-Provide pricing to change the polished concrete floors to sealed concrete floors

Masonry
-Provide pricing to replace precast bleachers with flat slabs with Masonry infill for the vertical risers.

Structural Steel
-Provide pricing to remove 100% of SP6.
-Provide pricing to remove SP6 from nonvisible locations (including the underside of roof).
-Provide pricing to remove the running track and second floor from Phase 3 of the building.

Review alternates for the ornamental handrails.
-Add secondary columns around top of bleachers to reduce truss size and overall building height.

Building Envelope
-Request Unit Rate for metal cladding to replace curtain wall.

Glulam
-Provide pricing to change concealed Glulam connections to exposed Glulam Connections.

Glazing
-Provide unit rate to reduce the total area of the curtainwall.

Flooring
-Provide pricing to remove the running track and second floor from Phase 3 of the building.

Kitchen Equipment
-Provide pricing to supply alternate equipment that is more cost effective

Doors / Hardware
-Reduce Number of Auto Operators (18currently) to only what is required by code

Elevators / Lifts
-Remove LULA / Break out pricing of LULA

Earthworks
-Substitute A Base for limestone crush under structural slabs.
-Review potential cost savings for site balancing of exterior grades.

Piling
-Provide pricing to change the rink slab from a structural slab to slab on grade, removing all piles under the rink slab.

Asphalt / Hardscape
-Provide pricing to change asphalt parking lots to gravel parking lots.
-Provide credit to remove the parking lot on the southeast side of the building.
-Provide credit to remove the north parking lot on the southeast side of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan