HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 1:04 AM

That 1st pic from Ruckus is great. From that angle S'toon competes with Regina.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
That 1st pic from Ruckus is great. From that angle S'toon competes with Regina.
From a density perspective maybe? But there isn't a single nice building in that shot. It all looks very industrial and...brown.

The River Landing project will do wonders. Saskatoon desperately needs some decent looking buildings downtown, and that will be a start.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
From a density perspective maybe? But there isn't a single nice building in that shot. It all looks very industrial and...brown.

The River Landing project will do wonders. Saskatoon desperately needs some decent looking buildings downtown, and that will be a start.
Blah, curse that heap of bricks the Bessborough!

I know what you're getting at though, and I agree with you - Saskatoon desperately needs some decent looking highrises downtown. There are some gorgeous buildings downtown, they're just not of the tall sort.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:10 PM

To be fair at first I did think it was Regina

Nice shots though...I would love if someone could post "comparative" pics between Regina and Sask, on a similar scale, between things like skylines, neighbourhoods, universities, airports, etc...main shopping centres..

without it turning into a them vs us fest of course

But if there is anyone from Sask who would be willing to do that, that would be absolutely unreal. I would try but I would fear messing it up since Im not from there

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
To be fair at first I did think it was Regina

Nice shots though...I would love if someone could post "comparative" pics between Regina and Sask, on a similar scale, between things like skylines, neighbourhoods, universities, airports, etc...main shopping centres..

without it turning into a them vs us fest of course

But if there is anyone from Sask who would be willing to do that, that would be absolutely unreal. I would try but I would fear messing it up since Im not from there
Impossible!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 11:43 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
Two thinks working against a high-rise environment in Fargo as compared to Regina:

1) F-M is located on, depending on where you are, 100-120 feet of soft clay, meaning it costs more to build a 20-storey building in downtown Fargo than it would in Regina. This scares away investment. Some people have told me that the deep clay IS the reason that "no high-rises can be built" in Fargo, but that's false. There is already an 18 and a 22-storey building downtown, so it's not that it can't be done. It's that there's more of an investment risk as costs go higher with extra foundation work.

2) Downtown Fargo is located right underneath the airplane path to Hector International Airport for planes flying from Mpls., Chicago and Orlando to land on the runway. I believe there is a 210 foot height limit for buildings downtown because of this.

This is not to say downtown Fargo could not have a lot of 150-200 foot high rises in is city centre, being a slightly shorter version of Regina's skyline. I think you'll see investment grow more through the years. Understand that from the early 70's to the year 2000, DT Fargo was left abandoned to its own devices by local civic leaders. The DT of my childhood was a shell of what it was like in the 2000's when I want to college there, and in 2011. The 2000's were downtown's Renaissance, and I think the next phase will happen this decade (though I'm not around to see it). There are a TON of small-scale developments that make downtown Fargo compete with Regina, not in the density department, but the overall, fun/economic activity scale. For example, numerous high-end restaurants, shops, boutique hotels, etc. DT Fargo has become a very yuppie place in the past 6-7 years, (I liken it to a gritty version of Mpls.' Uptown District) and there is talk of a 15-20 storey skyscraper in the last open plot of land on Broadway to not yet be filled up. I believe Facebook has pics of the winning design submissions.

One more thing that I think works against DT Fargo getting high rises: Most of the new businesses in Fargo want to locate in the SW suburbs, and most condo development is happening there as well. but there have been some investments downtown, but almost every project that has taken place downtown is just rehabbing and renoing old, abandoned buildings. Once the old space runs out, you'll start seeing a new construction boom.
Regina might have Fqrgo beat when it comes to skylines, but Fargo has a much more lively downtown based on what I've seen.

Downtown Fargo is certainly a lot more charming.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 12:51 AM
Regina SK

I like the scooter guy making up all his own rules ^.

I was in Fargo this past summer, just passing through on my way to Chicago. I think it was a Sunday afternoon on our way back, we stopped for lunch downtown and it was deserted. Of course, it was a Sunday, but I thought it should have been a tad more lively than what it was. From those couple hours, I would say it was about the same as Regina on the busy-meter. The downtown did have a nice historic feel that I appreciated though, similar to what I have witnessed in some Montana cities but on a larger scale and a lot cleaner.

p.s. Bad taste in my mouth on the way through the first time. Got mean glares at a gas station, and also overheard some seniors gay-bashing while I was trying to steal McDonalds' wifi. The way back, good taste in my mouth from whatever restaurant that was!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 1:00 AM
Regina SK

Also, I think that comparison would be fun!

U of S would kill the U of R for sure, although the old College ave. building is sexy and some of the newest additions are pretty nice and modern. Saskatoon's bridges would trump the Albert street bridge for sure, or at least in scale. Downtown Regina would win I think, given the architecture and it's density. For parks, It could be a tight match. Public art...mmm, Regina seems to love the tacky graffiti murals that only people outside of graffiti like. Maybe Saskatoon with that one? Worst suburbia would go to Regina East in my opinion. Just disgusting, especially with that traffic! Idylwyld/Circle also beats out Lewvan/Ring in my opinion, much more scenic, even in the boring parts with the uniform retaining walls. Ok, I have gotten a bit out of hand here...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 2:00 AM
Edan

For parks.. Regina takes the cakes with the incredible Wascana Park, that is more than just the stuff around the lake. We have a multitude of new parks as well, something that cities usually fail at incorporating into new development. We also have about 10 times more that Saskatoon. However, you do have that beautiful river of yours. But there is no comparison with a city that doesn't even have one.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 2:35 AM
Regina SK

I will start it off with the Broadway area (Saskatoon) and the Cathedral neighborhood (Regina). They both have main shopping streets (Broadway avenue & 13th avenue) running through them with mainly independent shops/restaurants and are both immediately next to downtown (Broadway via Broadway bridge), and similar in age, thus comparable in my opinion. Broadway tends to have more of a night scene, having more bars/pubs and a theatre as Cathedral has not much of either. They are each cities "arty" and "hippy" neighborhoods as well, where you will find many murals and a fair amount of dreadlocks.

Broadway population (2006)- 6,774
(wikipedia.com)
Cathedral population (2006)- 6,995
(regina.ca)

Broadway!

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/daryl_mitchell/)
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordoncooper/)
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordoncooper/)
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/35170789@N08/)
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougblackport/)
(realestatechannel.ca)
(saskatoonheritage.ca)

Cathedral!

(reginascenes.com)
(shopthevillage.ca)
(reginainpictures.blogspot.com)
(buckdogpolitics.blogspot.com)
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/24152421@N05/)
(crfa.ca)
(FLAR)
(FLAR)
(FLAR)
(FLAR)
(FLAR)

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenlewis26/)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 2:54 AM

that is AWESOME devon! Thanks

Anyone else? Bring some more!

Uni/Airport/Skyline scales/ suburbs/ would all be kickass

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:36 AM

How about North Central Regina vs. Riversdale?

I love both these neighborhoods

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:52 AM

Please! anyone with the skills to do some impressive 3D renderings of Winnipeg downtown with the new additions coming on line now and in the near future.

Id also like to see some renderings where it occupies those blasted empty parking lots smack in the middle of downtown. A few 100 m beauties and a a couple of 200 m ones.

Ill buy you beer.......

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 9:26 PM

As far as downtowns are concerned, Regina does have some nice looking office buildings, but the street level, aside from Scarth between 11th and 12th, is dead. Saskatoon has an enviably vibrant downtown, especially along 2nd Avenue and 21st Street. 3rd Avenue is also catching up, especially the area between 22nd Street and 20th Street. The theatres, restaurants, pubs and clubs downtown all keep Saskatoon's downtown hopping (not to mention the other retailers from Midtown Plaza on).

The other thing to consider about Saskatoon's downtown is that it doesn't stick out and look as impressive as Regina's for one big reason: it's in a valley. No matter where you go in the city, you travel up from the downtown (this is especially noticeable when downtown and looking up at the east-side river bank or when traveling down Idylwyld near the Ramada). Saskatoon's tallest buildings and Regina's tallest buildings are all around the same height, but Regina doesn't have Saskatoon's topographical features.

Here are a few photos of Saskatoon's downtown I've taken over the years (including a few different angles of the skyline):

The photo below was taken from the Warman Road overpass over Circle Drive/45th Street. Sorry about the forest fire smoke.

All photos taken by me. I've started uploading a few pictures to a Flickr account if anyone is interested - I'll get a few more street level and University pictures up there later.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
Ruckus, I've been meaning to make my way out to Valley Road and take a picture from the same angle, only with a telephoto lens. I'm waiting for it to warm up.

Another angle that is interesting is north west of the downtown, around Harry Bailey pool. I would also like to get a wide-angle shot of the university and downtown together - around the 14th street overpass on Circle Drive east is an interesting shot. You would only get the tops of the buildings downtown because downtown is much lower than the east side, but it still gives an impressive shot of the amount of development that has occurred in the past few years.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:02 PM

^ Jimmy James, you have some great shots, some interesting views, and you're making me miss summer BADLY.

I'm eager to see more! (as an aside, your more street-oriented pics are probably more appropriate for the "Saskatoon and Area Photos" thread)

Downtown/the river/Broadway in summertime always sparks my love for Saskatoon all over again. Then the horrendously long winter gradually sucks it out of me again. I can't wait for the first signs of spring...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
As far as downtowns are concerned, Regina does have some nice looking office buildings, but the street level, aside from Scarth between 11th and 12th, is dead. Saskatoon has an enviably vibrant downtown, especially along 2nd Avenue and 21st Street. 3rd Avenue is also catching up, especially the area between 22nd Street and 20th Street. The theatres, restaurants, pubs and clubs downtown all keep Saskatoon's downtown hopping (not to mention the other retailers from Midtown Plaza on).

Perhaps in the evening this may be true, but even then Regina has a number of busy restaurants and bars as well.

During office hours, however, it's not even close. The activity in downtown Regina far exceeds that of Saskatoon. This is particularly noticeable during the spring and summer around Victoria Park. Close to 30,000 downtown works give downtown Regina the edge.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

broadway cafe has a good hardy breakfast

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Perhaps in the evening this may be true, but even then Regina has a number of busy restaurants and bars as well.

During office hours, however, it's not even close. The activity in downtown Regina far exceeds that of Saskatoon. This is particularly noticeable during the spring and summer around Victoria Park. Close to 30,000 downtown works give downtown Regina the edge.
I don't agree at all - I've lived in both cities (and worked downtown in both), and hands down, Saskatoon takes it. I would like evidence suggesting Regina's downtown activity "far exceeds" that of Saskatoon's. That's quite a strong statement.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:28 PM

Well, I know Regina has a much larger downtown workforce so I would assume its more vibrant during the day.

Speaking of downtowns, where's a good cafe to eat at in downtown Stoon?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan