HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:06 PM
Metal Up Your !

Awesome update! I really like the street-scaping. They should really do this for more cities across the US. The courthouse looks epic too!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 11:52 AM
native Mobilian

New Jacksonvillian

Hello! I've recently moved to Jacksonville a few months ago from Gainesville where I lived for two years. Prior to that, I grew up in Mobile, Alabama, and have been active in the threads regarding Mobile's development. Now that I've gotten settled in the area and have gotten to know the area well enough to know what to talk about in the Jacksonville threads, I'm joining into the discussions. While living in Gainesville, I commuted to Jacksonville at least once a week, very often two or more times a week so I know the area quite well already.

I now live with my wife on the top floor of City Place condos downtown, where I enjoy the southern view day and night everyday!

Thank you, simms, for the awesome coverage you've generated for Jacksonville. I learned so much from what you've put on this forum and it's now almost as if I've lived here all my life!

Now, I'm really surprised that for Jacksonville's size and growth, there is almost no activity on this forum while there's much more activity for smaller cities like Mobile.

Finally, a question that has been burning in my mind for a while: what the hell are they doing to I-10?? It's becoming a very bumpy ride with the new concrete slabs replacing the cracked, pothole-ridden segments. I really hope they come back and grind it smooth and then pave over with asphalt.

Last edited by jmbreland; Mar 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: edited title

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 1:17 AM

Welcome to the city. You stay a couple of blocks from where I work (Shultz Building, near the intersection of Laura & Adams). I love the little restaurant on the first floor of your building. Anyway, Jacksonville has a pretty active dicussion board of its own (www.metrojacksonville.com). There, you'll find a few members who stay in your building, discussing everything from DT and urban core issues to national politics. As for I-10, what section? Other than the widening west of I-295, I wasn't aware that any major construction was going on.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 2:01 AM
She needs her space

April Construction Update!

April Construction Update

Note: 19 pictures of a few, select projects in town. If a project had no visibile progress or was too irrelevant of a size/scope to include, then it was not included. thelakelander on MetroJacksonville took these photos this past Sunday morning (I believe...it's when he normally takes photos). He takes photos every month for updates.

To view the original photos and discussion of the updates visit MetroJacksonville - April Construction Update for more information.

1. Laura St streetscape (nearly complete)

2. Wolfson's Children's Hospital Adult Tower (12 floors)

3. Treaty Oak Park spruce up

(Look at this monster tree...only in this lattitude from Charleston down to Orlando over to NOLA, Mobile, and Houston will you find these monsters)

4. Olio Restaurant (finally some progress)

5. Brooklyn Park

6. Friendship Fountain Park

7. Suntrust Bank branch (Springfield...just a couple miles north of Downtown)

8. 5th and Liberty residenial loft conversion (Springfield)

9. Schulte Design (San Marco...just a couple miles south of downtown)

10. San Marco Blvd streetscape

11. Mojo BBQ Number Four (Avondale...about 5 miles SW of downtown)

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 12:04 PM
She needs her space

May Construction Update

Note: 9 pictures of a few, select projects in town. If a project had no visibile progress or was too irrelevant of a size/scope to include, then it was not included. thelakelander on MetroJacksonville took these photos this past Sunday morning (I believe...it's when he normally takes photos). He takes photos every month for updates.

To view the original photos and discussion of the updates visit MetroJacksonville - May Construction Update for more information.

1. Laura St streetscape (nearly complete)

2. Wolfson's Children's Hospital Adult Tower (12 floors)

3. The new Jacksonville VA Clinic, which will be substantially large given our veterans' population here.

4. Olio Restaurant (Olio Market, looks to be casual but good)

5. Brooklyn Park

6. Friendship Fountain Park

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 3:10 PM

Thanks for the updates!

BTW, Lem Turner Road was named after my ggg-uncle!

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 4:40 PM

Jax's streetscaping is really impressive. Thanks!

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 5:52 PM
Metal Up Your !

Friendship Fountain Park is looking to be an awesome hangout place.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 1:48 AM
She needs her space

June 2011 Urban Core Construction Update

Note: 14 pictures and some Youtube videos of a few, select projects in town. If a project had no visibile progress or was too irrelevant of a size/scope to include, then it was not included. thelakelander on MetroJacksonville took these photos this past Sunday morning (I believe...it's when he normally takes photos). He takes photos every month for updates.

To view the original photos and discussion of the updates visit MetroJacksonville - June Construction Update for more information.

1. Wolfson's Children's Hospital Adult Tower (12 floors)

Then overstreet on MetroJacksonville took the following:

2. Friendship Fountain Park

Some Youtube videos...

A music light show test to an Akon song
Video Link

And the fountain is now officially working again! The central jets (100-150 ft high) are going...
Video Link

3. Museum Circle (Southbank near MOSH and Friendship Fountain)

4. John Gorrie Middle School Loft Conversio (Riverside...now mostly complete)

5. San Marco Streetscape

6. The 2nd new Yoga place to go in San Marco this year

7. Meanwhile Shoppes of Avondale must be taking a hit if they have to stoop so low and bring in a nail salon...

8. New Italian Restaraunt going in the Park and King District (officially divides Riverside and Avondale)...this old pharmacy was deemed a "pill mill" and was gutted this past week.

Last edited by simms3_redux; Jun 13, 2011 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 1:59 AM
She needs her space

June 2011 Beaches Construction Update

Note: 4 pictures of a few, select projects around the beaches in Jacksonville (I have never done this, and neither has my source since the condo boom went bust 3 years ago). If a project had no visibile progress or was too irrelevant of a size/scope to include, then it was not included. thelakelander on MetroJacksonville took these photos this past Sunday morning (I believe...it's when he normally takes photos).

To view the original photos and discussion of the updates visit MetroJacksonville - June Beaches Construction Update for more information.

1. Redone shopping center in inner Jax Beach (10th and 11 St N)

2. Former Ocean Club has been renovated and is now Club O. It's right on the beach.

3. The Pier, a new restaurant that looks like it is a suburban outparcel on the other side of the ICW.

4. The long awaited Publix Shopping Center redo on Atlantic Blvd in Atlantic Beach...

Wish there were high-rises going up all over the place like there were 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 3:59 AM

Jax is doing a nice job shoring up its public realm. Hopefully it's 'setting the table' for private development to come.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:20 AM

Here are some images of the fairly completed section of the San Marco Boulevard streetscape project:

BEFORE

AFTER

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 7:54 PM
She needs her space

Friendship Fountain Grand Re-Opening

Since the 1960s, Friendship Fountain has been a staple of Jacksonville history, culture, and identity. It was built on 14 acres of land donated by the Southside Businessman's Club and was constructed at an original cost of $1.7 million. It was the largest and tallest fountain in the world at the time and became a major tourist attraction.

After repairs in 1985 and 2001, 2 of the 3 original pumps died 2 months after the city hosted the Super Bowl in 2005. It wasn't until a $3.2 million renovation of the fountain and the surrounding parks this year that all 3 pumps were in working condition again. The re-opening celebration was on Saturday, June 18th, and was attended by the original architect Taylor Hardwick, as well as the mayor and other local "dignitaries."

The following pics are taken by a combination of myself, and three members of MetroJacksonville. I'll try to give appropriate credit where it is due, but I don't even know who took what picture.

Bear with me because there are quite a few pictures and I will break them down into 2-3 posts. This fountain has symbolized the city and its economic development for many decades, and when it died, figuratively speaking, it was seen as the death of downtown. Now that it has opened and we have a new mayor in office who publicly and vocally supports downtown, I think we have seen the rise of the Phoenix, so to say.

Original article with even more pictures and more background is here: Friendship Fountain Grand Reopening.

This is Friendship Fountain site in 1948.

This is Friendship Fountain shortly after it opened in the 1960s.

The following 3 pictures are old, fuzzy pictures of the fountain of mine. Taken last year and 2 years ago from the 43rd floor of Jacksonville's tallest and from right near the fountain. This fountain has a limp dick.

This image by TheLakelander on MetroJacksonville.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 8:05 PM
She needs her space

Grand Re-opening Part Two.

The following images are by Thelakelander on MetroJacksonville.

Flashmob

Riverwalk repair...this will now commence for another mile down the river.

The following images are taken by either Steve Congro or Mike Field of MetroJacksonville.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 8:20 PM
She needs her space

While Atlanta is known nationally for its big/celebrity restauranteurs, Jacksonville has a couple locals who shake things up in the dining industry around town. One of these is Jonathan Insetta, who is the creative force behind Chew, downtown, and Orsay (arguably the best French restaurant in town) in Avondale. He will be closing his restaurant Chew and opening up a new concept in the first floor of this building in Riverside. His restaurant group is the Black Sheep Restaurant Group.

Riverside is Jacksonville's most urban and most walkable neighborhood as of yet, and this development solidifies that fact. The plot is a small triangle, and will now be host to a 3 story triangular building with a rooftop terrace open for drinks. A block away is Little 5 Points and a block south is Publix. The area is filled with condos and apartments and shops and restaurants. It still has a ways to go to be something comparable to neighborhoods in larger, older cities, but it's a surprise for anyone visiting Florida/Jacksonville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelander View Post

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 8:55 PM
She needs her space

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...n-gorrie-lofts

Random sampling of pics taken by Lakelander of the inside of the loft conversion of the John Gorrie Junior High, built in 1923 in Riverside. 68 residences with prices ranging from $102K for a small studio to $312K for a larger 2 bedroom "townhome". Old school loft conversions are not a new thing to Jacksonville as several other schools and old buildings have been converted, mainly in Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, and Springfield.

http://thejohngorrie.discovertecweb....hborhoods.aspx

These lofts are at the intersection of Stockton and College St, where there is a streetscape project ongoing. Across the street in a small commercial strip is one of the city's best restaurants (which has been featured on Food Network) 13 Gypsies, a true Spanish tradition. It is the best Spanish food in town and is 110% authentic to Andalucia. Chef and Sous chef are both from Spain.

Also within walking distance is the King St nightlife district which is also growing into a brewery district, complete with 2 and ever increasing breweries. A sampling of what residents can walk to:

Walkers:: http://www.walkersbar.com/

http://www.intuitionaleworks.com/
http://www.boldcitybrewery.com/index.php
https://www.facebook.com/kickbacksgastropub (600 bottled beers and 84 on tap)
Rogue and Loft
Park Place (LGBT bar)

and many more. It's a great location.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 8:58 PM
She needs her space

A smattering of local ongoing projects.

From left to right:

John Gorrie Junior High loft conversion, the small highlighted triangle is where 1234 Oak is going up (see above), the highlighted section of highway is really a park underneath that will connect Riverside Park with Riverside Art Market on the river, and across the river the square is the 200 ft addition to the Wolfson's Adult hospital and the strip is the San Marco streetscape project leading to the square (not pictured).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 3:08 AM
She needs her space

August 2011 Construction update

August 2011 Urban Core Construction Update

Note: Just a few preview pics. thelakelander on MetroJacksonville took these photos this past Sunday morning (I believe...it's when he normally takes photos). He takes photos every month for updates.

To view the original photos and discussion of the updates visit MetroJacksonville - August Construction Update for more information.

1. Wolfson's Children's Hospital Adult Tower (12 floors)

2. New VA Clinic (Springfield/Northside)

3. Chew, 5 Points (3 floors triangular lot, contemporary design, rooftop terrace)

4. Jacksonville Electric Authority Tower garage reclad

5. Northpointe Towne Center (new community center for very depressed area on Northside, financed by TIF)

6. Paul Davis Restorations (Springfield)

7. Bold Bean Coffee (Riverside)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 6:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
June 2011 Beaches Construction Update

Note: 4 pictures of a few, select projects around the beaches in Jacksonville (I have never done this, and neither has my source since the condo boom went bust 3 years ago). If a project had no visibile progress or was too irrelevant of a size/scope to include, then it was not included. thelakelander on MetroJacksonville took these photos this past Sunday morning (I believe...it's when he normally takes photos).

To view the original photos and discussion of the updates visit MetroJacksonville - June Beaches Construction Update for more information.

1. Redone shopping center in inner Jax Beach (10th and 11 St N)

2. Former Ocean Club has been renovated and is now Club O. It's right on the beach.

3. The Pier, a new restaurant that looks like it is a suburban outparcel on the other side of the ICW.

4. The long awaited Publix Shopping Center redo on Atlantic Blvd in Atlantic Beach...

Wish there were high-rises going up all over the place like there were 5 years ago.
Jax needs high rises, they need to turn it into dallas.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 8:32 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperfan23 View Post
Jax needs high rises, they need to turn it into dallas.
Jax Beach has about 25-30 "high-rises" between 10 and 20 floors. There is currently a 35 ft height limit enacted before the most recent FL condo boom was even over, so as a result all new construction is off of the beach and in a suburban looking strip. Jacksonville is a small city, much smaller than Dallas or even Fort Lauderdale, but it has decent high rises in the city. Downtown has 12 condo high rises between 13 and 37 floors. Jacksonville also has the tallest building between Atlanta and Miami.

I really hope Jacksonville does not "turn into Dallas." That city is a 6 million person suburb with a dense office district in the core. I'm happy that Jacksonville is influenced heavily by Florida, Atlanta, and all of the New Yorkers that come down. Texas can keep Dallas as far away as possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations