HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 12:55 AM

bath and body works would fit in either of those new things - seems like the facebook group for B&BW is crying out for a store in winnipeg, halifaxers seem to be the second most in need

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:18 PM
What could go wrong?

I have seen (last week) plans for a reno in St Vital Mall and on those plans it showed some of the other stores in the mall. On those plans where the former Sony Store location was, is listed as Bath & Body Works. So for all the women in your lives who have been waiting, their wait "might" be over soon.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 4:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hmm i have lots of memories of going downtown to coten geny with my mother and then hitting up the bay and eatons and having an icescream at name fails me at the place on the 2nd floor in portage place

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I have seen (last week) plans for a reno in St Vital Mall and on those plans it showed some of the other stores in the mall. On those plans where the former Sony Store location was, is listed as Bath & Body Works. So for all the women in your lives who have been waiting, their wait "might" be over soon.
My wife saw the B&BW people walking around St.Vital with clipboards on the weekend. Needless to say, she was excited.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:49 PM
What could go wrong?

I just wanted to say that i heard official confirmation that the H&M store in Polo Park has been canceled. There are no other prospects in the city for this store at the moment.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 9:22 PM

That's not going to go over well...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:47 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to say that i heard official confirmation that the H&M store in Polo Park has been canceled. There are no other prospects in the city for this store at the moment.
Because I bet it is going to St. Vital... H&M suits that area better with it's low cost clothing.. just saying..
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

better be downtown lol

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:43 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
Because I bet it is going to St. Vital... H&M suits that area better with it's low cost clothing.. just saying..

They currently have no immediate plans in the Winnipeg area. That could change, but right now there is nothing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:48 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Actually to confirm your confirmation I applied for this company I recently received a letter stating that all positions have been put on hold till further notice.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
H&M isn't that cheap

they do have items cost over $300

some of the jimmy shoes were over $200 and the handbags were close to $200 too

its not cheap like old navy more like zara

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 5:57 AM

Quote:
They currently have no immediate plans in the Winnipeg area. That could change, but right now there is nothing.
Wow. How do things get so far and then stop completely? Maybe they've put their entire corporate expansion on hold or just Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 12:45 PM
BANNED

Well folks, let's hope this works...although I am somewhat dissapointed between all of the agencies trying to transform downtown, they had to spend money on a consultant; all you have to do is look at Yonge Street in Toronto to know this is what works: a mixture of various retailers and restauarnts, etc...oh well!

Friday, January 8

MEDIA RELEASE
Downtown Winnipeg Biz

DOWNTOWN PARTNERS TAKE FIRST STEPS IN BRINGING NEW RETAILERS AND VIBRANCY TO CITY'S CORE

WINNIPEG, MB–– Mountain Equipment Co-op, Moi Boutique, Rink Side and Samurai Japanese restaurants, Cake Clothing and Candie and Dolls--these are the types of unique stores that are vital to downtown shopping. Now combine those with retailers and restaurants we've all seen as we travel across Canada like Forever 21, Jack Astor's Grill and Purr Clothing, and downtown becomes the place to shop in Winnipeg. The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, along with CentreVenture Development Corporation, the City of Winnipeg, The Forks North Portage Development Corporation and the Exchange District BIZ, has developed a plan to support existing retailers and attract new ones with the Downtown Retail Retention and Recruitment Strategy.

"This strategy is part of the foundation to restoring the glory of Portage Avenue and downtown," says Ross McGowan, president and CEO of CentreVenture. "Attracting the appropriate retail mix to downtown will signal a change in attitude and business focus."

Three years ago, New York-based MJB Consulting--a leader in North American downtown development strategies--did an extensive analysis of Winnipeg’s retail market. The resulting report, released in 2009, outlined a comprehensive plan for three targeted downtown areas--the Exchange District, Portage Avenue and Graham Avenue. The report provides suggestions of both specific examples and the types of retailers that might be open to recruitment to downtown Winnipeg.

"With this strategy, we can attract retailers to downtown and outline the specific advantages to them," says Steven Young of Avison Young. "It is an essential marketing tool offering ideas on incentives and positioning strategies for key downtown districts."

The Exchange District was identified through its "cool factor", "casual-chic" atmosphere and the need to balance its hipster (creative pioneers of the revived Exchange) demographic with an emerging yupster (a yuppie hipster hybrid) population.

Portage Avenue offers a combination of opportunities for larger retail brands exclusive to downtown and "cheap-chic" fashion stores specializing in trends. Combined with Portage's entertainment venues such as dining, concerts, sports, events and hotels, it has the potential to become a complete destination for visitors and residents.

Portage Place is very excited in the direction that this retail strategy is going to take downtown," says Dave Stone, general manager of Portage Place. "It provides us all with a clear vision and a solid strategy to bring the downtown core back to prominence."

And finally, Graham Avenue is characterized for its ability to showcase Winnipeg's multi-culturism through immigrant- and minority-oriented businesses that highlight the city's diversity.

The BIZes and CentreVenture will work together in advocating for the implementation phase as outlined in the report that includes hiring a recruiter/coordinator, coordinating meetings with landlords/brokers, development of an available spaces database and advocating for the right tools to address structural challenges retailers face in operating downtown when compared to other parts of the city.

"This plan is a vital tool to creating the continuous positive change we all want to see for our downtown," says Stefano Grande, Downtown BIZ executive director. "We want to retain the great retailers we already have and attract the types of businesses that will make downtown Winnipeg thrive.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 2:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Bath & Body Works is official at St Vital Centre. It will be in the old Sony Store space (currently the Bomber Store). Construction should start Feb.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 5:59 PM

Winnipeg females rejoice! I believe I can see the tears welling in the eyes of the Columbia Mall in Grand Forks from here.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 7:05 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Bath & Body Works is official at St Vital Centre. It will be in the old Sony Store space (currently the Bomber Store). Construction should start Feb.
Looks like the Bomber Store shares the same fate as the team. lol

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Looks like the Bomber Store shares the same fate as the team. lol
Apparently the Bomber Store just had a short term lease, so when St. Vital got the opportunity for Bath & Body Works to move in with a long term lease they went with that.

From the manager of the Bomber Store:

Quote:
The Winnipeg Football Club has closed their current St. Vital Centre location as another retailer has signed a long term lease on this location. The Winnipeg Football Club is in ongoing negotiations with St. Vital Centre to find a stable long term location for the Bomber Store.

The Bomber Store and its staff would like to thank all its customers. They can visit the Bomber Store @ Canad Inns Stadium when it re-opens on Saturday, January 16th.
Source: http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=12321.0

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 5:40 PM

Misplaced this in the Ikea Thread

The Polo Park area would benefit (greatly) from a package of improvements that focuses on adding left turn lanes where possible, especially on empress Street where it should be possible to widen the road (with retaining walls) and squeeze in the left turn lanes.

I would also suggest that the owners of the Polo Park Mall should look into reconfiguring their parking lot, mainly the roads and intersections on the property, so that intersections, roadways are easy to navigate. I realize this would cost some money, but it would sure improve safety on busy shopping days. Coquitlam Centre Shopping Mall in BC did this a few years back, and it improved things greatly (except maybe for boxing day!).

Terrible news about H&M. I guess that means Polo Park leases the safeway space to someone else...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 3:18 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ To me, H&M would be a perfect fit for the now vacant McNally Robinson space.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 10:32 PM

Agreed. I sure hope the forces that be make it a reality. If only the old CTV spaces wasn't supposed to be an 'outdoor concept', and rather an indoor expansion of the retail hub, Polo Park could REALLY be rolling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan