HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 8:54 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, Im surprised by all of the historic renovations they are doing, really good to see. Ive never been to Jacksonville, but this gives me some incintive to go down there and see it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Wow, Im surprised by all of the historic renovations they are doing, really good to see. Ive never been to Jacksonville, but this gives me some incintive to go down there and see it.
I hope you mean Jackson.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 9:16 PM
Baltimore

WOW these projects are awesome!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 1:00 AM

Wow, that Farish Street Entertainment project looks awesome. How far along is the project and when is the riverwalk portion set to begin?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmavs04 View Post
Wow, that Farish Street Entertainment project looks awesome. How far along is the project and when is the riverwalk portion set to begin?
The first block is under construction/renovation currently, which will be mainly restaurants and lounges, including B.B. King's Blues Club. The riverwalk concept is separate from the work being done currently on Farish Street, but it would tie in to the back of the buildings on the west side of the street. A construction date has not yet been set for the riverwalk project.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 6:05 PM

Sorry for the bump, but I live in Southaven, MS (3 hours north of Jackson, in the Memphis metro) and I visited Jackson last year. I have to say that Jackson is a wonderful city and has plenty of opportunity. Contrary to popular belief, our entire state is NOT full of rednecks and open farmland. I suggest that if you ever get the opportunity to visit our great state and Jackson, please do so.

Regards,
Trevor

PS love the Standard Life building

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 12:07 AM

Does anybody know the latest news on The District at Eastover? Is it still set to begin construction this fall?

Edit: Just read an article from May 17th, 2013 that stated they were aiming to start construction within 90 days.

From The District at Eastover website:

Site Plan

The Lofts at District

Office Space

Retail/Restaurant

Hotel

"Na'isha - Our people" - Plains Apache / Apache Tribe of Oklahoma

Last edited by Sharkey; Aug 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 3:15 AM

This is old news, but Jackson is getting a Whole Foods, albeit a smaller concept at only 30,000 square feet.

This article is from November 8th, 2012, the day it broke ground.

http://msbusiness.com/blog/2012/11/0...ay-in-jackson/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 6:47 PM

Wasn't there a plan to build a new domed 50K-65K seat football stadium in Jackson on the campus of Jackson State that was supposed to be a joint venture between the state, city and the university? It seemed JSU officials in particular were excited about the plan and seemed pretty certain it was a done deal. Quite frankly it seemed more wishful thinking on JSU's part than anything, and if such a venue was going to be built I didn't see that it would live up to being the draw for the city that proponents suggested (hosting major concerts, the NCAA tournament, and someone even mentioned hosting a political convention. I just wondered if Jackson has the infrastructure to host such events. It takes a lot hotel rooms among other things to host major conventions, national/regional sporting events and for Jackson even concerts.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Wasn't there a plan to build a new domed 50K-65K seat football stadium in Jackson on the campus of Jackson State that was supposed to be a joint venture between the state, city and the university? It seemed JSU officials in particular were excited about the plan and seemed pretty certain it was a done deal. Quite frankly it seemed more wishful thinking on JSU's part than anything, and if such a venue was going to be built I didn't see that it would live up to being the draw for the city that proponents suggested (hosting major concerts, the NCAA tournament, and someone even mentioned hosting a political convention. I just wondered if Jackson has the infrastructure to host such events. It takes a lot hotel rooms among other things to host major conventions, national/regional sporting events and for Jackson even concerts.
You are correct. I'm not sure that it's completely dead, but it definitely seems way more wishful than it does anything else. It would be pretty sweet if it happened if everything lined up correctly, I just have a hard time imagining it happening. There was a study for an arena to be in downtown Jackson that seats about 12,000, but I don't know where that stands currently (if it was dropped or is still being looked at).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:31 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

What condition is Veterans Memorial Stadium in? Have there been any recent proposals for renovations?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:25 AM
Burming Hammer

any other state grads on here??

not sure if jacksonian posts anymore...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
any other state grads on here??

not sure if jacksonian posts anymore...
My uncle is a state grad.

I don't live in Jackson, but I'm there a lot.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:34 PM

Trevor, you can say that again!

I live in San Antonio, but am originally from Gulfport, MS. Every time I visit the my hometown, something new there beckons me to return. I plan to give in to that wooing when I retire. I love Mississippi and enjoy visiting Jackson every chance I get. I've constantly had to "educate" people about the so-called "backwardness" of our state for decades years in my travels. They always marvel as to why I don't have an "accent" and why I seem so cultured and well-read and I marvel that they don't see the blight in their own states. That affords me the chance to shatter some preconceptions and to chide them for their over-generalizations.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
You are correct. I'm not sure that it's completely dead, but it definitely seems way more wishful than it does anything else. It would be pretty sweet if it happened if everything lined up correctly, I just have a hard time imagining it happening. There was a study for an arena to be in downtown Jackson that seats about 12,000, but I don't know where that stands currently (if it was dropped or is still being looked at).
There's no way that JSU would be able to fill even a 50k seat stadium on a regular basis.

It's good to see a Mississippi thread.

Jackson has over a half million people in the Metro area.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:52 AM

Any Jacksoneer's out there know if the 205-room Westin Hotel is still a go?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I'm proud to announce that the former King Edward Hotel [now called the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Jackson] has opened its doors to the public. The ribbon-cutting took place last month and the apartments opened up on Jan. 1, with 60 of the 65 already filled. After sitting dormant for 40 years, the King Edward is alive and well. Here are some before and after pics:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

In 2009 (and many years previous), I heard countless naysayers say that the King Edward Hotel would never reopen - it did. Many said that the Farish Street Entertainment District would never begin construction and renovation work - it did. Even more said that the crime problem in Jackson would never decrease - it did. Jackson is taking off and leaving the pessimists in the dark. Many who had given up on Jackson over the years have re-evaluated their perception of Jackson and are starting the see the true beauty that this city possesses. Countless are trading in their former 'American Dream' in the burbs for Downtown residences. Apartments are sprouting up with almost every renovation project in an attempt to keep up with the strong demand for urban living. Businesses see this movement occurring and more and more of them are setting up shop near the new Downtown residences.

At a media luncheon last month, David Watkins [one of the developers of the King Edward renovation project] unveiled plans for the Riverwalk and Town Lake, an ambitious project that would feature a mile-long, concrete-lined canal that started at Farish Street and ended at Court Street, where it would empty into a 35-acre lake that connected to the Pearl River.

One side of the lake would feature a mix of apartments and condos, the other an arts district and a Hollywood bowl. A gospel music museum and a civil rights museum, which is currently planned to go up at Tougaloo College, have been thrown out as possibilities at the canal’s Farish Street beginning.

The Brookings Institution ranked Jackson in the top 20 strongest performing metro markets for the second AND third quarters of 2009. Forbes posted Jackson in their #3 spot for ‘best bang-for-the-buck cities’ just last month. Southwest Airlines chose Jackson as one of 7 U.S. cities to highlight in their publication “Spirit” magazine. CNN ranked Jackson in the top 15 among mid-size metro areas for best place to launch small business start-ups.

In 2009, the tide in Jackson not only turned but it gained serious momentum. There's a new attitude in the city and a strong generation of young adults who are determined to make this city reach it's fullest potential. The King Edward was but a benchmark that ignited the flame for many - the abandoned building stood as a symbol of all of the wrong in Jackson for years, and now it represents the future of all of the right that is happening now in the city. The buck does not stop there - the energy from this project has shifted to the nearby Standard Life Building which is under renovation as is the Farish Street Entertainment District just one block north. The smaller buildings in the area are increasingly becoming active again with retail and commercial options moving in to meet the needs of the ever growing downtown residents.

Despite the nation's terrible economy last year, 2009 was an impressive year for Jackson. Not only were new plans unveiled but instrumental projects were completed. I can't wait to see what 2010 has in store.
And just like that, Southwest Airlines is gone.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 3:59 PM

Chase Bank in downtown Jackson

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 4:07 PM

Capitol Street Renaissance

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 8:40 AM

Im still hopeful that Jackson will have a tower that exceeds 70 stories and a skyline that rivals Nashville and Austin. More companies from California will see how great Jackson is and will want to move their HQs here. In Gods divine timing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations