HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
That was the fault of Covid though, covid unraveled the ball of rubberbands that kept everything running, we lost over 1 million people, majority of people who worked these jobs lost them because of covid, passed away or simply retired leaving a big hole in the economy.

As well as the change in attitude in police & loss of a quarter of the force.

The dead streets allowed for the homeless problem to spread into new areas & the lack of force gave people the opportunity to do bigger & bolder things we see now.

In 2023 we are finally seeing a slow return to normalcy but everything we knew in the past has been destroyed
Totally agree about your rubber band analogy. COVID really did break the rubber band that was holding everything together. Things do seem to be trending in the right direction. Hopefully a new mayor will help too.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:54 PM
Chris

Some more good news for the 2026 World Cup. Where are the hotel developers?!

Philadelphia could host more 2026 FIFA World Cup matches than expected, causing 'ripple effect' for city
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

A recent FIFA decision could give Philadelphia up to three more matches to host during the 2026 World Cup than it originally planned, causing a “ripple effect” that would boost visitation and economic impact for the city, according to local organizing group Philadelphia Soccer 2026.

...total number of matches played throughout the tournament to 104, up from 80, which was already set to be the largest number of games played in a World Cup yet.

The city is qualified to host matches up through the quarterfinal round.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Permits Issued For 322-40 Race Street In Old City

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/06/perm...ladelphia.html
Do we think that this will ultimately help or hurt the homeless scene in OC?

Obviously, I want a much more substantial response to homelessness on a national level. Philly's homeless population, while relatively small compared to other large cities (believe it or not), is especially difficult to address because they all choose to be out there. The drug trade is responsible for the lion's share of these people, closely followed by the mentally challenged.

My question is this: does the presence of a facility like this attract more homeless to the area or does it remove the homeless off the streets of the surrounding neighborhood?

I completely support the goal of this facility. I'm just wondering how it will impact Old City when it's up and going.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 5:34 PM

removed

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Do we think that this will ultimately help or hurt the homeless scene in OC?

Obviously, I want a much more substantial response to homelessness on a national level. Philly's homeless population, while relatively small compared to other large cities (believe it or not), is especially difficult to address because they all choose to be out there. The drug trade is responsible for the lion's share of these people, closely followed by the mentally challenged.

My question is this: does the presence of a facility like this attract more homeless to the area or does it remove the homeless off the streets of the surrounding neighborhood?

I completely support the goal of this facility. I'm just wondering how it will impact Old City when it's up and going.
I guess we'll find out. Arguably, smaller facilities like this should be placed throughout the city so the burden isn't placed on one area or neighborhood alone. As an anecdote, I would argue that you wouldn't know the Project Home facility on Fairmount and Ridge was a homeless shelter unless you knew it was Project Home. In that case, it's presence is imperceptible.
Hopefully this is much the same.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 2:57 PM

Not development related, but good news nonetheless.

https://whyy.org/articles/philadelph...t-center-city/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post

Awesome to see! I still see way too many people blocking the bike lane but I'm glad the increased enforcement is having an effect. Hopefully longer term this will start to deter some of that.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:07 PM

Quote:

Watched their presentation. They're absolutely going about this project in the right way from a design perspective. They seem to be focusing hard on the non-game day activation as well as game-day activation. I'm so excited for this project.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:35 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:06 PM
build awesome buildings

New renderings and info from the 76 Place public meeting hosted by WSWCA last night:

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ublic-meeting/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
New renderings and info from the 76 Place public meeting hosted by WSWCA last night:

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ublic-meeting/
Speaking of the arena, David Adelman today publicly promised the team won't move to NJ. That's a big win. I really want to see this thing get built, the energy it would bring into Center City would be amazing, especially if they can keep Market Street active as they've shown in their sketch.

David Adelman Says the Sixers Will Not Move to New Jersey if Arena Proposal Fails – “I Promise You That”

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:30 PM
Chris

Some positive policy news, and a good base for the next Mayor.
Still lost why Gauthier and Brooks oppose wage/biz tax cuts, but glad it passed nonetheless.

Philly’s wage and business taxes will be cut amid a big cash surplus for the city
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20230608.html

Philadelphia City Council members gave initial approval Thursday to a more than $6.2 billion budget deal in which lawmakers approved tax cuts for businesses and workers amid an unusual cash surplus.

City coffers are flush after a year of stronger-than-expected tax revenues and more than $800 million in unspent federal pandemic aid. The strong financial outlook led to a feeding frenzy during negotiations between lawmakers and Mayor Jim Kenney’s administration as varied interest groups pushed for tax cuts or spending increases.

Business-friendly Democratic members led by Isaiah Thomas and Katherine Gilmore Richardson lobbied for more aggressive reductions, while progressive members Kendra Brooks and Jamie Gauthier opposed cuts...

Council members voted to reduce the wage tax for city residents from 3.79% to 3.75% after Kenney in March proposed cutting it to 3.7565%.

They also lowered the net income portion of the business tax from 5.99% to 5.81% following Kenney’s initial 5.83% proposal.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Wage tax from 3.79% down to 3.75%
Net income from 5.99% to 5.81%

I won't complain about the miniscule decrease but then Brooks and Gauthier shouldn't act like we are giving away the farm either.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:57 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Speaking of the arena, David Adelman today publicly promised the team won't move to NJ. That's a big win. I really want to see this thing get built, the energy it would bring into Center City would be amazing, especially if they can keep Market Street active as they've shown in their sketch.

David Adelman Says the Sixers Will Not Move to New Jersey if Arena Proposal Fails – “I Promise You That”
I saw that as well, which seems extremely positive overall (sorry, Cherry Hill peeps). He also said something like "There's no Plan B" when asked about other arena sites, which I struggle to fully believe.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Some positive policy news, and a good base for the next Mayor.
Still lost why Gauthier and Brooks oppose wage/biz tax cuts, but glad it passed nonetheless.
This is not an attack, so please don't take it as such, but I have to confess I'm mystified by people not understanding Gauthier. Someone labeled her as corrupt in another thread because she opposes development in her district. That's just a fundamental misunderstanding of who she is. She's been abundantly clear that she doesn't believe in a pro business agenda. She considers it suspect. Most lefty progressives do. They just think it's the upper classes and corporate America hoarding cash while the working class starves. They are generally not for tax cuts and they actually desire to raise taxes on certain groups to fund more services that they see as vital in order to achieve social equity.

It's really just that simple.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
This is not an attack, so please don't take it as such, but I have to confess I'm mystified by people not understanding Gauthier. Someone labeled her as corrupt in another thread because she opposes development in her district. That's just a fundamental misunderstanding of who she is. She's been abundantly clear that she doesn't believe in a pro business agenda. She considers it suspect. Most lefty progressives do. They just think it's the upper classes and corporate America hoarding cash while the working class starves. They are generally not for tax cuts and they actually desire to raise taxes on certain groups to fund more services that they see as vital in order to achieve social equity.

It's really just that simple.
It’s also pretty simple that the Wage tax hits the working class much much harder

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
It’s also pretty simple that the Wage tax hits the working class much much harder
To be clear, I don't agree with Gauthier, but she's AGAINST tax cuts; if there's money laying around, she wants it spent on her constituents.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 10:37 PM

According to the article:
"Heading into the fiscal year, the city still has not spent roughly $800 million of the $1.4 billion in federal aid it received from the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. It’s required to spend all the money by the end of 2024."

In typical inky fashion they make no comment if there are plans to spend it or any further discussion. North Broad Light Poles for all the streets!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:04 PM

New Painted Bride newsdrop, same NIMBY bloackaiding!

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...velopment.html

I lived there on New St from 08-11; while I loved the area, the neighbors were ridiculous. I don't get why the majority didn't just move to the burbs, real get-off-my-lawn vibes.

"
The latest proposal to turn the Painted Bride into a mixed-use development was met with pushback from neighborhood stakeholders during a Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing on Wednesday.

Revised plans for the property at 230-236 Vine St. call for 85 short-term residences, a ground-floor restaurant, underground parking and two roof decks — one for the residences and one for the restaurant. The roof deck was the reason for developer Atrium Design Group's appearance in front of the Zoning Board and was also the main point of contention.

At the hearing, four neighborhood property owners said they worry the primarily residential northern section of Old City would be disrupted by a new restaurant and rooftop dining area. They expressed concerns about noise, late hours, traffic and the size and capacity of the roof decks.

It's the latest in a years-long back-and-forth at the historic Old City building. A number of different plans have previously surfaced, including 16 luxury townhomes, a 74-unit apartment building, and most recently in February, 110 short-term rental residences.

Architect Shimi Zakin's Atrium Design Group bought the property known for its mosaic façade for $3.85 million in a deal that closed just over a year ago.

The proposed U-shaped building would stand five floors and span 67,690 square feet, including 4,800 square feet of first-floor commercial space, with a courtyard in the middle. The developer has signed a lease with Sonder hospitality group, which would run the short-term rentals. The 30 parking spots underground would be open to the public and run by a third party. While some neighborhood members have begun to shift their opinion on the project, others haven't.

obert Gurmankin, president of the Franklin Bridge North Neighbors Registered Community Organization, said that in a vote earlier this year, members of the organization were "uniformly opposed" to the earlier plans for 110 units and no underground parking. However, the revised plans with fewer units and more parking were brought in front of the members in May and the vote was too close to take a solid position. Still, Gurmankin voiced opposition to the restaurant roof deck. So too did the owner of the nearby Chocolate Works apartment development and two people who own multiple properties in the immediate surrounding area.

"The use is unacceptable and inappropriate for what is primarily a residential neighborhood,” said Jeff Reinhold, who owns the Chocolate Works.

Ori Feibush, the owner of OCF Realty, supported the project. He is building 11 townhomes at 244 N. 2nd St. and said his residents will look directly at the proposed building on Vine Street.

"This is something our community absolutely needs," Feibush said. "It's absolutely something that would be welcome and my residences would be impacted, and I think positively impacted."

The City Planning Commission recommended no change to the proposal and recommended that the Zoning Board grant approval for the non-accessory roof deck.

Richard Pressman, the attorney representing Zakin and Atrium, asked for the Zoning Board to hold the appeal in abeyance as the developer still needs an amended referral from the Department of Licensing and Inspections due to the revised plans.

The saga of the Painted Bride dates back six years. The 14,213-square-foot building originally came up for sale in November 2017. Two previous attempts to purchase the property were thwarted — one by a tech company in 2018 and again by Zakin's Atrium Design Group, who at the time proposed preserving the façade and building on top of it. After finally closing on the property in April 2022, Zakin's new plan will include demolishing the Painted Bride.

"

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
New Painted Bride newsdrop, same NIMBY bloackaiding!

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...velopment.html

I lived there on New St from 08-11; while I loved the area, the neighbors were ridiculous. I don't get why the majority didn't just move to the burbs, real get-off-my-lawn vibes.

"
The latest proposal to turn the Painted Bride into a mixed-use development was met with pushback from neighborhood stakeholders during a Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing on Wednesday.

Revised plans for the property at 230-236 Vine St. call for 85 short-term residences, a ground-floor restaurant, underground parking and two roof decks — one for the residences and one for the restaurant. The roof deck was the reason for developer Atrium Design Group's appearance in front of the Zoning Board and was also the main point of contention.

At the hearing, four neighborhood property owners said they worry the primarily residential northern section of Old City would be disrupted by a new restaurant and rooftop dining area. They expressed concerns about noise, late hours, traffic and the size and capacity of the roof decks.

It's the latest in a years-long back-and-forth at the historic Old City building. A number of different plans have previously surfaced, including 16 luxury townhomes, a 74-unit apartment building, and most recently in February, 110 short-term rental residences.

Architect Shimi Zakin's Atrium Design Group bought the property known for its mosaic façade for $3.85 million in a deal that closed just over a year ago.

The proposed U-shaped building would stand five floors and span 67,690 square feet, including 4,800 square feet of first-floor commercial space, with a courtyard in the middle. The developer has signed a lease with Sonder hospitality group, which would run the short-term rentals. The 30 parking spots underground would be open to the public and run by a third party. While some neighborhood members have begun to shift their opinion on the project, others haven't.

obert Gurmankin, president of the Franklin Bridge North Neighbors Registered Community Organization, said that in a vote earlier this year, members of the organization were "uniformly opposed" to the earlier plans for 110 units and no underground parking. However, the revised plans with fewer units and more parking were brought in front of the members in May and the vote was too close to take a solid position. Still, Gurmankin voiced opposition to the restaurant roof deck. So too did the owner of the nearby Chocolate Works apartment development and two people who own multiple properties in the immediate surrounding area.

"The use is unacceptable and inappropriate for what is primarily a residential neighborhood,” said Jeff Reinhold, who owns the Chocolate Works.

Ori Feibush, the owner of OCF Realty, supported the project. He is building 11 townhomes at 244 N. 2nd St. and said his residents will look directly at the proposed building on Vine Street.

"This is something our community absolutely needs," Feibush said. "It's absolutely something that would be welcome and my residences would be impacted, and I think positively impacted."

The City Planning Commission recommended no change to the proposal and recommended that the Zoning Board grant approval for the non-accessory roof deck.

Richard Pressman, the attorney representing Zakin and Atrium, asked for the Zoning Board to hold the appeal in abeyance as the developer still needs an amended referral from the Department of Licensing and Inspections due to the revised plans.

The saga of the Painted Bride dates back six years. The 14,213-square-foot building originally came up for sale in November 2017. Two previous attempts to purchase the property were thwarted — one by a tech company in 2018 and again by Zakin's Atrium Design Group, who at the time proposed preserving the façade and building on top of it. After finally closing on the property in April 2022, Zakin's new plan will include demolishing the Painted Bride.

"
As we see time and time again, the NIMBY bullshit ultimately leads to the building being demolished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development