HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 1:18 AM

Forth

Apologies if this article has already been posted. https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...bing-the-walls.

The former Forth Cafe is now reopened as the VA cafe, with bouldering coming soon. Also, the former Forth Bar has been reopened as Darling Bar. Wonderful to see that great space being used again.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 3:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

been mention but no artical

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 4:31 AM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 1:47 PM

East Exchange adding 65 more apartment units with opening of Pumphouse West

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...tting-pumped-2

The redevelopment of the James Avenue Pumphouse has been a taxing process, one that’s left a sour taste in the mouths of some about the prospects of undertaking a similar endeavour in the future. But those at Alston Properties will soon enjoy the fruit of their labours, as the third and final phase of the latest facelift in the East Exchange District is expected to wrap up this summer.

Pumphouse West, a $12 million six-storey, 65-unit multi-use block with 1,600 square feet of commercial space that stands beside the former James Avenue Pumping Station is expected to open for occupancy on Sept. 1.

“It’s been a challenging project in every facet,” said Bryce Alston, director of Alston Properties, which acquired the historic property in 2016.

“The construction itself is very difficult, the integration of the heritage building with proximity to the new builds presented many challenges. There’s a number of alternative solutions to the building code for all three phases, which just created complications. There were extended timelines associated with permitting — yeah, it’s just been tough.”

Alston Properties was the team to finally get the wheels in motion on a redevelopment plan after 17 failed attempts to revive the historic building, including one in 2013 that proposed a slender, 24-storey steel-and-glass tower that rose from the centre of the building.

Before receiving its first permit in the spring of 2017, Alston Properties expected its three-phase redevelopment would take a little over four years to complete. By the time Pumphouse West is complete, it will have been 6 1/2 years.

“Would I do it again? Probably not. It’s just been a drain, to be honest. It’s just exhausting,” Alston said.

The first phase of the plan was a renovation of the pumphouse, which added office and retail space to the upper level of the building in the summer of 2017. In September 2020, Pumphouse East, a 28-unit high-end apartment block, was erected.

Now Pumphouse West brings 60 one-bedroom units and five two-bedroom units into the fold. Within the property, 10 units will be deemed affordable, with rents about $1,100 per month, while the remaining one-bedroom suites are priced at $1,350 per month and the two-bedroom dwellings at $1,800 per month. All utilities and high-speed internet are included with each rate.

Alston explained the developers were fortunate not to incur too much blowback from the pandemic, aside from some issues with sourcing building supplies and some well-documented price increases on materials during Phase Three.

They also delivered Pumphouse East at the height of the pandemic, with which Alston conceded they “got a bit lucky,” being that it was only 28 units added to a rental market that was in flux at the time.

“There wasn’t much new supply in the Exchange District at all, so we hit the market in a period of absence of supply with 28 rental units that were extremely uniquely positioned and very boutique. So we didn’t worry about the absorption of that at all during COVID.

“Heading into the summer and finishing off Phase 3, I don’t think there’s any concern with absorbing the 65 units. We will be completing around the same time as (the Bend) at 90 Alexander (Ave.) and they’ve got 206 units, so it is actually quite a bit of new rental supply in one area to bring on. But this rental market now is the strongest rental market I’ve seen since I’ve been here in nine years.”

David Pensato, executive director of the Exchange District BIZ, echoes Alston’s sentiments.

“It speaks to the demand for the kind of neighbourhood that the exchange is becoming,” Pensato said. “It’s something that we’ve talked about with people a fair bit over the last few years, that the Exchange District really fills a lack in the Winnipeg marketplace in terms of a type of neighbourhood lifestyle.

“Almost every other big city has their urban-living core with all the shops and services, and often they are heritage-type areas of the downtown, and I think there’s a real hunger for that type of lifestyle and the Exchange District is soaking it up.”

The James Avenue Pumphouse “unlocked a fair bit in the East Exchange” after the building lay lifeless for years, Pensato said. It appears the effort put forth by Alston and his group could pay mass dividends in an area that looks poised to boom.

“It’s been a slow simmering growth, but I think we’re at a pretty big tipping point. I think you’re going to see a lot more development, not just in the East Exchange, but across the Exchange District,” Pensato said.

Added Alston about adding residential units near a city centre still working back from the pandemic: “We just believed in that area in general. The East Exchange, in my opinion, is the best residential node in the entire downtown area, and you could already see the momentum that was building there. The city and province made numerous investments in the area.”

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 2:12 PM

Interesting comments:

Quote:
“It’s been a slow simmering growth, but I think we’re at a pretty big tipping point. I think you’re going to see a lot more development, not just in the East Exchange, but across the Exchange District,” Pensato said.

Added Alston about adding residential units near a city centre still working back from the pandemic: “We just believed in that area in general. The East Exchange, in my opinion, is the best residential node in the entire downtown area, and you could already see the momentum that was building there. The city and province made numerous investments in the area.”
No question that the East Exchange is growing and it has a certain polish that you don't really see elsewhere in downtown Winnipeg. But I wonder if it is that close to the 'tipping point'... Broadway-Assiniboine probably has considerably more people than the East Exchange yet it has never really been able to achieve a level of being a complete neighbourhood. It has improved over the years but if you live in Bro-Ass you still have to leave it to access most basic amenities. Will a few projects with double-digit unit counts really get the East Exchange to that level? I mean, I hope so, but I don't think I'd bet on it...

That said, I'm impressed to see the Pumphouse project materialize as it has. That site seemed like an absolutely intractable development challenge for so many years.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting comments:

No question that the East Exchange is growing and it has a certain polish that you don't really see elsewhere in downtown Winnipeg. But I wonder if it is that close to the 'tipping point'... Broadway-Assiniboine probably has considerably more people than the East Exchange yet it has never really been able to achieve a level of being a complete neighbourhood. It has improved over the years but if you live in Bro-Ass you still have to leave it to access most basic amenities. Will a few projects with double-digit unit counts really get the East Exchange to that level? I mean, I hope so, but I don't think I'd bet on it...

That said, I'm impressed to see the Pumphouse project materialize as it has. That site seemed like an absolutely intractable development challenge for so many years.
What basic amenities does one in Bro-ass need to leave for besides k-12 schooling?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
What basic amenities does one in Bro-ass need to leave for besides k-12 schooling?
I used to live there and the only thing I didn't really have to leave the area for was groceries at Family Foods (if I just had a light shop). And alterations at Hat Phan, who can forget that. Since those days some things have been added like Pizza Hotline, a couple of other small shops, etc. But there is very little there considering the population of the area. You either have to venture north to the main downtown shopping area, or south into Osborne Village.

East Exchange is similar, there is not much in the area. I'm not sure that adding another 100 or 200 residents will get them over the top in that regard... it would take many more.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we need a parking garage around there
i couldnt find a spot in a lot and had to keep moving my car every 2 hrs last week as what was empty was resvered 24hrs
also when did lots become 37$ a day around there thats nuts or 17 from 6am to 6pm
if i still lived in the city id just walk or bike to the exchange

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
we need a parking garage around there
i couldnt find a spot in a lot and had to keep moving my car every 2 hrs last week as what was empty was resvered 24hrs
also when did lots become 37$ a day around there thats nuts or 17 from 6am to 6pm
if i still lived in the city id just walk or bike to the exchange
Precisely.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 6:47 PM

^ On that note, I noticed that CityPlace is offering cheap evening and weekend parking all summer, on non-event nights at the arena. $2 for an evening or all day Sat./Sun.

I know some will pooh-pooh this and say that what we need residents and not suburbanites driving their cars in, and that holds some truth. But we can't wait 40 years for downtown residential to materialize to get to a point where Winnipeg can just dismiss people who drive cars. You have to do something to make it easier and more enticing now. Constantly jacking up parking rates as if the suburbs and WFH didn't exist is just dumb. Nothing makes me more of a WFH enthusiast than $17/day parking.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2023, 9:56 PM

127 Bannatyne

Looks like another construction project has come to a grinding halt. No action at this site for weeks. Does anyone know what's going on?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Looks like another construction project has come to a grinding halt. No action at this site for weeks. Does anyone know what's going on?
I had a look yesterday. They are insulating the foundation walls of the adjacent properties. Making good progress…

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 7:06 AM

Model suite in THE BEND on Pacific /Alexander was open today. Very nice units priced very well. I think these 200+ units will lease out quickly. Great to add all these progressive people to the area.

On another note the river bank on Waterfront is already full of encampments. I saw two social agencies deliver two full meals and coffee in an hour. One person told me they deliver food twice a day. Who needs Uber Eats..

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
On another note the river bank on Waterfront is already full of encampments. I saw two social agencies deliver two full meals and coffee in an hour. One person told me they deliver food twice a day. Who needs Uber Eats..
social agencies should be offering them rides to shelters

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:29 PM

They don't want to live in the shelters or else they would be.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 7:48 PM

I'm not sure enabling this behaviour is the best plan.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I'm not sure enabling this behaviour is the best plan.
Doing otherwise would be Problematic, and nothing is worse than that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Model suite in THE BEND on Pacific /Alexander was open today. Very nice units priced very well. I think these 200+ units will lease out quickly. Great to add all these progressive people to the area.
Prices are super reasonable for these units. Starting at $1100/month for corner suites on the lower levels, in the 530-565 sq ft range. With in-suite laundry in a brand new apartment. Pretty sweet deal. I imagine it will fill up quickly. I can't remember if they did any underground parking tho?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:11 AM

^Parking's pretty pricey

Surface Parking: $175

Covered Parking: $200

https://towersrealty.ca/building/the-bend/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^Parking's pretty pricey

Surface Parking: $175

Covered Parking: $200

https://towersrealty.ca/building/the-bend/
The project only has 32 parking stalls all exposed to the weather although half more covered than others. They believe the tennant’s do not have vehicles or will use a car share service. This approach allowed them to build slab on grade with minimal excavation and huge cost savings of concrete, steel and time!

I wish them well and hope they are correct on their tennant’s parking needs. If not, parking rates in the area are going up. We are currently over subscribed on our 100 stalls in the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan