HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 12:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Bomber legend Bud Grant has passed away at the age of 95.

Grant was a legend both as a coach and a player. Finished second in the NFL in receiving yards in 1952. The very next season he signs with the Blue
Bombers and finishes first in the West in receiving yards and does that again in 1956. Retires as a 3-time CFL all star.

He immediately moves into coaching and wins 12 games in his first season as the Bomber coach. He follows this up with 5 division titles and 4 Championships in 5 years as part of the 2nd greatest dynasty in CFL history. Finished with a 102-56-2 record in the CFL. Arguably the greatest CFL coach of all-time.

He signs on as coach of the Minnesota Vikings and almost immediately turns around the franchise winning 11 division titles and taking his club to 4 Superbowls unfortunately losing in all 4 of them. His team finished with the best record in the league 5 times. Overall he had a record of 158 - 96 - 5. Greatest NFL coach to never win a Superbowl.

Oh and for good measure Bud found time to win an NBA championship with the Lakers as a player.
He was a legend!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:15 PM

Well, it's official!

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/03/14/untitled/

To get an idea of what ticket prices will be like, here's the seating chart for this year's Grey Cup in Hamilton. Some temporary endzone seats are available for under $220, but otherwise it's around $220-$540 a pop, or likely more for premium seats. That's for season ticket holders, of course it will be higher for walkup.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 6:00 PM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 6:07 PM

I recognize everyone in that picture except second from the right... who is that?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I recognize everyone in that picture except second from the right... who is that?
Mike Pyle, from Exchange Income Fund. Chair of the Bombers' board of directors.

Last edited by DavefromSt.Vital; Mar 14, 2023 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 12:57 PM

Wade Miller looks like he should have an AED within 6 feet of him at all times.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Mike Pyle, from Exchange Income Fund. Chair of the Bombers' board of directors.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Wade Miller looks like he should have an AED within 6 feet of him at all times.
He's a former pro athlete, I bet he would still mop the floor in a game of pick up basketball with most people!

I will say this, Wade Miller deserves a lot of credit for turning around the Blue Bombers. They went from being a badly mismanaged organization to a point of pride for the entire province over the course of his tenure. And you can see Wade Miller's dedication, he is literally walking the concourses on game days making sure everything is ship-shape, talking to staff, etc. He has done a phenomenal job, I really don't know what more could have been asked of him.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 5:19 PM

Can't wait for Bombers season to start let's win that 3rd cup in 4 years to honour Bud Grant and re create another Bombers dynasty like the one Bud created from 58 to 62.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 6:04 PM

Quote:

I will say this, Wade Miller deserves a lot of credit for turning around the Blue Bombers. They went from being a badly mismanaged organization to a point of pride for the entire province over the course of his tenure. And you can see Wade Miller's dedication, he is literally walking the concourses on game days making sure everything is ship-shape, talking to staff, etc. He has done a phenomenal job, I really don't know what more could have been asked of him.
Absolutely! When he was hired I admit I didn't think much would come of his leadership, and I am delighted to admit how wrong I was. He really seems to have been able to foster a winning culture and attitude in that organization. As a former Bomber, I doubt he will ever be able to be lured to another CFL club to do the same thing, so i think we'll have the benefit of his presence for quite a while..

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 3:58 PM

Interesting gameday stat from the Bombers:

Quote:
Mike O’Shea has a career won-lost record of 84-58. O’Shea’s 84 wins as a Blue Bombers head coach ranks third on the club’s all-time list, behind only Bud Grant (102) and Cal Murphy (86).
So a win tonight vs. BC and he's only one behind Cal Murphy for second overall on the franchise win list. It's as close to certain as it gets that he will surpass Murphy this season, and he will be knocking on Bud Grant's door next season for tops overall.

Considering that Grant and Murphy have their own statues on the grounds of IG Field, is it time for the Bombers to start commissioning an O'Shea statue to go with them?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting gameday stat from the Bombers:

So a win tonight vs. BC and he's only one behind Cal Murphy for second overall on the franchise win list. It's as close to certain as it gets that he will surpass Murphy this season, and he will be knocking on Bud Grant's door next season for tops overall.

Considering that Grant and Murphy have their own statues on the grounds of IG Field, is it time for the Bombers to start commissioning an O'Shea statue to go with them?
100% he should. at P&M celebration last grey cup, the fans were chanting O'shea, o'shea..... not players name or go bombers go, they were chanting coach name!

Bud Grant 6 appearances, 4 cup wins
Cal Murphy 5 appearances, 3 cup win

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 5:25 PM

^ Winning the cup this season would definitely put him into statue territory. I wonder what his career trajectory is? Become a Wally Buono type of terminally successful CFL coach and maybe eventually transition to the GM chair if an opportunity arises? The only real alternative is maybe if he gets a NFL shot.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game, I'm hoping the Bombers can get off to a 3-0 start on the season against a good Lions team

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:50 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:53 PM

Well, I did not get my wish... that was painful

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 3:38 PM

The Bombers annihilated the BC Lions to move into a tie for 1st place. Right from the get go, the good guys tamed the Lions, winning 50-14. Looks like the 2023 Grey Cup tour will go through Winnipeg again.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 4:14 PM

I rode my bike to the game down the transitway AT path last night from ~Jubilee area. I saw a couple dozen other folks obviously headed to IG field on bikes, and was pleasantly surprised by how busy the bike parking was at the stadium. There must have been close to 1000 bikes between the valet area and just locked to railings.

Was pretty surprised by how few Blue Line busses I saw on the way home though, perhaps 1 every 5-8 minutes at best. Seemed like unloading a bus full of tired/drunk fans at crush load was taking a huge amount of time at each stop

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audie View Post
I rode my bike to the game down the transitway AT path last night from ~Jubilee area. I saw a couple dozen other folks obviously headed to IG field on bikes, and was pleasantly surprised by how busy the bike parking was at the stadium. There must have been close to 1000 bikes between the valet area and just locked to railings.

Was pretty surprised by how few Blue Line busses I saw on the way home though, perhaps 1 every 5-8 minutes at best. Seemed like unloading a bus full of tired/drunk fans at crush load was taking a huge amount of time at each stop
The Bombers dialed back the extra buses they were paying for. I would have to think there is more than just regular service + park and ride buses, though? Maybe a few extra blue line buses but nothing like before when there loads of extra buses.

The transportation issues that plagued IG Field the first few years have settled down as people have adapted. Cycling is a good example, there are loads of people taking their bikes to games now. It's my favourite way to go to football games to the point where I am extremely reluctant to go any other way... it's so pleasant and fast to take your bike, and the bike valet makes it so carefree. You know your bike will be there after the game which is a sadly rare feeling in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 4:59 PM

Figured there'd be some post on here today. One of the most dominant performances over a (supposedly) good team that I've seen in ages. Definitely fits the definition of a "Statement Game". The Bombers look like they have their mojo back and are once again the powerhouse team we've came to expect over the past few years.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 5:15 PM

^I wrote my postgame thoughts in the Canada subforum but what the heck, I'll repost them here

Quote:
Total 180 from the last time the Bombers and Lions squared off. It was a different situation last night, the Bombers had several key defensive players that weren't there last time, Kenny Lawler wasn't there, and the Lions were without Vernon Adams Jr last night and ended up going with third stringer Dominique Davis after Dane Evans suffered an injured rib late in the first half.

We all expected a different game, but man, the Lions were humbled right out of the gate with their vaunted defense giving up several big plays. It was like watching the 2021 Blue Bombers.

And may I say it was a perfect night at IG Field yesterday. It was nice and humid-hot outside, so all the fans had a sweaty glow and the beer tasted extra good, and the big crowd got whipped up by the Bombers' impressive performance, the big plays generated some loud roars. It was a great time, the fans definitely went home happy after that.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 2:43 AM

Zaco Collaros is hurt, and left the game after a late hit. I pray that it is not a concussion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan