HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Reminds me of when I was a kid and people couldn't help putting pink stucco and teal sheet metal on everything they'd just gotten over painting poo brown and orange.
Ugh. The pink stucco and teal thing was tired by 1992 and lasted way too long in this city. It went on everything from the late 80s to the early 00s when we went through our "let's pretend to be Phoenix" phase.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:11 PM

When i think of pink and teal i just think of the interior of European Health Spa

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:25 PM
surely you agree with me

the inherent problem with colour, especially on permanent building facades is that they date very quickly. It doesn't matter what colour you use, it will expire. I try to never use colour that isn't natural in the material and any paint is neutral. I'm sure that's why you see so much grey and black.

People always say, i love colourful buildings, more colourful buildings please. Then three years later they are the first to say, man that teal is ugly.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the inherent problem with colour, especially on permanent building facades is that they date very quickly. It doesn't matter what colour you use, it will expire. I try to never use colour that isn't natural in the material and any paint is neutral. I'm sure that's why you see so much grey and black.

People always say, i love colourful buildings, more colourful buildings please. Then three years later they are the first to say, man that teal is ugly.
One thing I like about our downtown is that there hasn't been the same giant construction booms/busts, so you don't have an architectural 'monoculture' of similar buildings all side by side. There's buildings from almost every decade. A lot of them are ugly, fine, but I like the mix.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:05 PM
surely you agree with me

last time i was in Edmonton it hit me how dated so much of the downtown looks because it boomed during the san jose sharks blue and pink era.

city hall is peak san jose sharks.

edit: hilarious...i just googled Edmonton city hall. built in 1992, same year the san jose sharks began play.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:47 AM

Quote:

Yellow brick is a timeless classic anyway. Go crazy with it, please. The worst that can happen is someone will paint over it with some trendy colour (like grey).

Architectural trends seem decently analogous to fashion trends--someone attractive wears something new and it looks good, people copy them until unattractive people make the same thing look bad. Likewise, the Portland Building looks great in pink and blue. Edmonton city hall looks like a tryhard. St. James strip malls? No way, San Jose Sharks.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:44 PM

Thinking more about this, I think part of the hate-on I have for the pink and teal decor is that it evokes the "let's give up on cities" era when nothing was happening downtown and all the growth was in the suburbs.

At least the poo-brown and orange colours correlate with a period when we were still at least making an effort to make things work downtown (convention centre, Winnipeg Square, Eaton Place were all part of the brown and orange club) before things kind of bottomed out in the late 90s.

I don't think other colours evoke this reaction for me. I'm hard pressed to think of any buildings I don't like because they're too colourful, even if the colours are dated.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thinking more about this, I think part of the hate-on I have for the pink and teal decor is that it evokes the "let's give up on cities" era when nothing was happening downtown and all the growth was in the suburbs.

At least the poo-brown and orange colours correlate with a period when we were still at least making an effort to make things work downtown (convention centre, Winnipeg Square, Eaton Place were all part of the brown and orange club) before things kind of bottomed out in the late 90s.

I don't think other colours evoke this reaction for me. I'm hard pressed to think of any buildings I don't like because they're too colourful, even if the colours are dated.
Yeah it's the type of building that ruins the colour. The fake slate caked onto every stripmall lately is getting into pink-and-teal territory for me.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
last time i was in Edmonton it hit me how dated so much of the downtown looks because it boomed during the san jose sharks blue and pink era.

city hall is peak san jose sharks.

edit: hilarious...i just googled Edmonton city hall. built in 1992, same year the san jose sharks began play.
Edmonton City Hall or Portage Place Mall? They sure look remarkably similar.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
We will make sure one third of it is empty and falling apart, one third will be a surface parking lot and the other third will have a giant clown mural painted across the front.
Hah! Okay, well, when you put it like that....

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:24 PM

Forgot there was a dedicated thread. News article regarding PPD approval.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/proposed...hood-1.5756924

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:29 PM

I say it will get approved hands down. This apartment would be a great addition to the area like one near the firehall down the street from this location.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 7:28 PM

Love this building; need many more around the area.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:21 PM

This and the new development replacing the Osborne Inn will be a nice bolster to the area. They just gotta develop that lot next to Eldorado Arms (which btw is getting renovated) and for the love of god can we do something about Confusion Corner I’m sick of seeing that disgusting Burger King.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 11:00 PM

LOL--definitely a lot of room for development/redevelopment in the village.

BTW, the peppercorn King: so good LOL

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 6:18 PM

Approved by City Centre Committee

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 7:39 PM
surely you agree with me

approved but with some very challenging caveats about not closing streets and sidewalks during construction.

opposition presentation called it 'The Headstone that will mark the death of Osborne Village'

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 8:00 PM

Is Gertrude planned to be a AT path or just talking about the sidewalk? Not from what I can tell.

That's be tough not closing sidewalks and such.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 8:04 PM
surely you agree with me

all sidewalks and lanes. Not sure ow it is supposed to be constructed.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 8:05 PM

Quote:
opposition presentation called it 'The Headstone that will mark the death of Osborne Village'
They dialled up the drama to 11 for that one, huh?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan