HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 11:09 PM

Looking east from the top of Somi1620 by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

This tower has really stunning views! Went on the roof today, and had many questions. There will be brick at the base, and the red metal cladding was changed because it was stated that the external redesign would fit in with the area better. There's a pool on the west side of the 27th floor (and my god would I love to swim there) and the retail space will have access to reach the second floor. Cars will be able to access parking from the Moravian Street side and there is two stories of underground parking. And the shape of the top of the tower changed in order to get the pool onto the floor, originally it wasn't planned. If there's a next time, I'll definitely ask about the true height, lighting, and anything you guys request

Somi 1620 by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

27th floor-amenity

28th floor-mechanical

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 12:25 AM

I somehow doubt the comment about the facade change being to "blend in." The building is surrounded by old architecture. Red would've looked fine.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 12:46 AM

Trust me, I do too. I think it's like a Two Liberty situation. They beefed up on what's inside and they presumably cut the original exterior to finance the interior

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 10:42 AM

Cool Photos TK. I like this building a lot. What an improvement.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 12:20 PM

Nice update TK. As you said, the views are phenomenal.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 1:17 PM

A couple comments after passing this on a walk to get coffee this morning. Overall, it's a huge win but there's some areas that really annoy me about the materials chosen. On the Walnut and the 16th street side, I'm waiting to judge until it's finished but they might be doing too much with the alternating thin and thicker vertical dark grey metal panels. I think thin panels the whole way up would have been a better choice visually. The glass cutout looks fantastic and goes a long way towards breaking it up.

My primary concern is with the side facing 17th street. They used much thicker metal panels on that side (hard to tell from street level but they look the same width as the glass panels), and they used a lot more of them. That's by far the worst side of the building. Overall I just don't really understand the design language of this building at all.

Edit: one additional point I forgot to mention. This thing looks so imposing from Walnut street. It's awesome. Standing in front of Pandora it towers over you.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 6:08 PM

It's frustrating because the 17th st side is very visible and looks particularly bad and cheap. The 16ths st side at least has some depth. I'm glad to have it and I hope it grows on me, but I hate the materials. The original design of red on the side of the brick neighbor and gray in the side of the church neighbor already did respond to the surroundings so idk what they're talking about. The surrounding context is primarily tan (which they used in Athe Laurel), brown, and red, not gray, except for the church. At least it's not in a more visible location

I do hope they stick around and keep investing in Philly since they've gotten so much done, but I find the changes disappointing. I'd also just like less gray in a city with such a colorful palette. I think we've gotten enough

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Jun 7, 2023 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 12:52 PM

This morning:

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 4:54 PM

Maybe the most surprising place that you can see this tower is between the two Centre Square buildings by City Hall from this vantage point: https://goo.gl/maps/dxD9iofWLJmW7dvH9

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 12:31 AM

While the design downgrade is dissapointing to say the least, i think overall the design it went to could have been so much worse.
If i had to rate it out of 10 id give it probably a 6 or 7, because it adds alot of density, the design isnt horrible, its gonna have great views, its a great location. In all honesty it could have been so much worse

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 6:29 PM

I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but an article from the developers state this is 320 feet tall

https://southernland.com/mixed-use-p...at-27th-floor/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 12:07 PM

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 4:58 PM

Delete

Last edited by TK2001; Jul 15, 2023 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 5:12 PM

Philadelphia skyline from Citizens Bank Park by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Just under One Liberty

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 11:58 AM

I think in the end - the best part will be the street level activity and appearance/first floor amenities this building will provide, otherwise, it is a fine, but unremarkable building.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 3:26 PM

Thanks for the great pics!

One thing I'll say about this building, even if it's only architecturally "fine" or "decent" on its own, is the broader context with surrounding buildings made of heavy masonry is a lovely contrast, to say nothing of the excellent upgrade to street activation.

Combined with an "inoffensive" building architecturally, those factors still make this project a very solid win in my book.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 3:33 PM

Yeah, zero complaints about this one. It has a great presence and feels like a breath of fresh air in this area. If we can get one or two more of similar size in this area, you won't even notice the Somi. (eyeing that Marathon lot for a 300 footer -- that lot is seriously underutilized)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Yeah, zero complaints about this one. It has a great presence and feels like a breath of fresh air in this area. If we can get one or two more of similar size in this area, you won't even notice the Somi. (eyeing that Marathon lot for a 300 footer -- that lot is seriously underutilized)
Agreed. There’s actually a lot room in this area. There’s a garage between 17th and 18th on sansom. The parking garage at 15th and sansom, marathon etc. there’s more on chestnut as well

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I think in the end - the best part will be the street level activity and appearance/first floor amenities this building will provide, otherwise, it is a fine, but unremarkable building.

If only they had repeated the 16th st side on the 17th st side. The ultra modern glass cut through the middle looks awesome.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
If only they had repeated the 16th st side on the 17th st side. The ultra modern glass cut through the middle looks awesome.
But then the residents wouldn't have balconies. I think we need to allow for function to play some role in design, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction