HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 4:45 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg is slow to catch on to movements commonplace elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Winnipeg is slow to catch on to movements commonplace elsewhere.
Shouldn't you be on the Edmonton threads thanking your gods for all the development you've prayed for?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:33 AM

Does anyone know if a developer has ever tried to build anything and had it specifically blocked under the Airport Vicinity Development Plan?

I remember the mixed-use residential for the stadium lands got shut down, but I think that more in the conceptual land use planning phrase rather than a specific development.

Using the CPR La Riviere line as the boundary seems kind of arbitrary. Condos and more apartments around Polo Park would be great, as would allowing new development along Portage in Silver Heights. I used to live right under a flight path. I've also lived right on Pembina Highway. The constant white noise from traffic is way worse than planes, IMO, but you get used to both very quickly.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Shouldn't you be on the Edmonton threads thanking your gods for all the development you've prayed for?
It's true. You simply do not want to admit it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's true. You simply do not want to admit it.
What I don't want is to come here and read your constant negativity.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 6:05 AM

have you checked out the city of lougheed project in Burnaby? the Richmond Centre one is ok, but the Lougheed one is a much better inspiration. 23 towers, redeveloped mall, first phase is underway now.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 2:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
What I don't want is to come here and read your constant negativity.
Grow up.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 8:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Grow up.
I think you should take your own advice.

Quote:
It's true. You simply do not want to admit

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 12:44 AM
BANNED

Have a good cry and move on for f*ck's sake.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Have a good cry and move on for f*ck's sake.
I think you should be taking your own advice.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 1:48 PM
What could go wrong?

You guys realize that you are taking time to type your bullshit out so you can insult another person on a online forum where everyone can read it. I tell my kids all the time when they argue like this is for one to just shut up and it stops immediately.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 2:29 PM
BANNED

So back on topic.
So this is some cocked up idea to save polo park I take it. Why? Let the place die. It’s going to happen anyway with all the development on Kenaston. And let’s not forget it was Polo Park that had a huge hand in killing downtown and it’s retail.
I say it’s time is done. It’s been looking like an old haggered woman for years. It’s just to big and has no real attraction other then the stores.

Bulldoze it all. Fill it up with big box stores like they have been. Throw in some apartments and it will fit into the way the rest of Winnipeg is. A traffic mess with lots of parking. A dreamland for sure lol

Yes I am being sarcastic

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
So back on topic.
So this is some cocked up idea to save polo park I take it. Why? Let the place die. It’s going to happen anyway with all the development on Kenaston. And let’s not forget it was Polo Park that had a huge hand in killing downtown and it’s retail.
I say it’s time is done. It’s been looking like an old haggered woman for years. It’s just to big and has no real attraction other then the stores.

Bulldoze it all. Fill it up with big box stores like they have been. Throw in some apartments and it will fit into the way the rest of Winnipeg is. A traffic mess with lots of parking. A dreamland for sure lol

Yes I am being sarcastic
I'm not sure who said anything about saving Polo Park

I raised the spectre of what's happening in Richmond as an example of a way to make better and more efficient use of all the land that Polo Park sits on.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:15 PM

I think the AVDP doesn't outright say "no new residential" but rather puts in place some very expensive noise remediation for new multitenant residential in the area. That means you can take those same plans outside the AVDP and construct them for significantly less money per sq ft. There are also height restrictions on some parts of the AVDP. It was why for years the Polo Park area had such horrible cell service as the towers couldn't be built to their typical heights.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not sure who said anything about saving Polo Park

I raised the spectre of what's happening in Richmond as an example of a way to make better and more efficient use of all the land that Polo Park sits on.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...over-1.4173250

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:01 PM

It'd be awesome to have residential on the outskirts of the Polo Park site – the mall is hideous. Can build (hide) more parking decks between housing and the mall itself, if needed. And turn the transit loop into a (semi-)indoor transit/RT station, which would serve as a hub of future west RT development. Really, just beef up what's there now and make it more comfortable. It's ripe for it.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:18 PM

That transit loop really needs to be moved. Having a mini transit station on the EB lanes of Portage instead of having the vehicles pull into the station hurts it somewhat.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:39 PM

^Agreed. Or just move that stop into the loop, expand it, and have busses able to exit the loop to EB Portage – there's already a traffic signal for pedestrians, why not allow busses to cross as well?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Polo park is not a secondary mall and will be just fine. Much like St.Vital. Kildonan place is on the bubble but seems to be doing just fine too.

Although I do agree the sea of parking lots could be put to better use. But would require lots of dollars for parkades and such, as has been discussed. And putting up a small store in the corner of the parking lot doesn't count for anything.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 9:46 PM
BANNED

LOL, Um, Chinook Mall is superior, but Cadillac Fairview is looking add residential.

Perhaps you should read a book called "Good to Great"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan