HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:09 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
is this correct?

that its now open to aloha stadium? and that there is some work on the next two stations to the airport? then nothing yet except planning to waikiki and ala moana center??

so basically as planned its half built and open?
It is complete to Aloha Stadium. Opening this summer barring the usual shenanigans HART tends to discover. Airport work is well underway and should be done in a couple years, actual construction on the City Center Guideway and Stations are in limbo. They haven't even awarded a contract yet. City Center to Ala Moana has been removed from the scope of the contract, unfortunately.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 9:44 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
It is complete to Aloha Stadium. Opening this summer barring the usual shenanigans HART tends to discover. Airport work is well underway and should be done in a couple years, actual construction on the City Center Guideway and Stations are in limbo. They haven't even awarded a contract yet. City Center to Ala Moana has been removed from the scope of the contract, unfortunately.
thank you for the clarity!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:42 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
very interesting. It would be great if it could go out to Waikiki, and then less people would have to rely on renting a car when vacationing in Hawaii.
That'd be great from a tourist standpoint. You don't need a car if you're mostly staying in the Waikiki area. And if you want to take side trips to the North Shore or go do some hikes, you can just Turo a car for the day. I'm guessing a lot of hospitality and service workers would utilize it as well.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 2:47 AM

Are there accommodations for surfboards and other oversize luggage on these trains?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 4:23 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
Are there accommodations for surfboards and other oversize luggage on these trains?
Yes, I remember them touting space for surf boards a few years ago when they were running tours of the rail vehicles.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanstirrat View Post
The numbers you are throwing out can't really be compared. Rail is an upfront cost. Its staggering and certainly should cost less to build but thats a nationwide issue. Even so, the cost of rail will be less that highways and car commuting. There is the price to upkeep roads. But there is also the price to pay highway patrol. The cost or drunk drivers and careless accidents. The price of each car on the road and their individual maintenance. The price of gas and the price of all that co2. The price of rail is much much less long term. The project will have a transformative effect when fully built out. Hopefully we can fix transit cost overages while were at it.
All well and good but the upkeep and maintenance costs are not insignificant and will not take away from what is already spent on roads. There's also the labor cost, and in a state beholden to public sector unions that's another major factor to consider. This boondoggle also doesn't serve UH Manoa or Waikiki, which are the two biggest drivers of traffic on the entire island.

I know this forum is full of starry-eyed urbanists who are happy to overlook and dismiss these borderline criminal cost overruns, delays, and downright lies to get taxpayers on the hook in order to enrich a few politically-connected contractors, consultants, and unions, but this stuff matters to voters and taxpayers. You can't keep lying to people and shaking them down when it comes to infrastructure.

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 5:36 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaul Bunyan View Post
borderline criminal cost overruns
I wish we could go back to the planning stages and tell them to get it together and build Waipahu to Manoa, but the past is past. I still believe that this line should reach Manoa as soon as possible.

I also believe that several people should be doing time for how badly run this show has been.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:57 PM
你的媽媽

Was able to get some shots from the H1 on the way to HNL.

Kahauiki (Middle Street) station

Āhua (Lagoon Drive) station

Lelepaua (Honolulu International Airport) station

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 9:31 AM
FesterBestertester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Experience in other US cities shows that airport train stations are used more heavily by airport workers than by tourists. So this Phase I should still have a useful ridership.
It’s about three miles from the stadium to the airport. If they don’t want to walk, they’ll have to bring along a bike, scooter, etc or catch a bus.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 9:47 AM
FesterBestertester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaul Bunyan View Post
the upkeep and maintenance costs are not insignificant and will not take away from what is already spent on roads.

I know this forum is full of starry-eyed urbanists who are happy to overlook and dismiss these borderline criminal cost overruns, delays, and downright lies to get taxpayers on the hook in order to enrich a few politically-connected contractors, consultants, and unions, but this stuff matters to voters and taxpayers. You can't keep lying to people and shaking them down when it comes to infrastructure.
Regarding operations and maintenance costs, it’s spelled out in rail’s June 2022 “recovery plan,” which the FTA believed and approved, amazingly enough. It starts at $96 million in FY 23, and steadily increases to $163 million in FY 34. It’s in Table G-1 of the recovery plan if anyone wants to see it.

Several years ago the city lowered their targeted farebox recovery ratio from 27-33% to 25-30%. They also admitted that it will likely be less than 25%, meaning the subsidy will be in excess of 75%. The .5% GET surcharge can only be used for construction costs and sunsets in 2030, so the only legally available mechanism we have to pay for the subsidy is property taxes.

The US attorneys for Hawaii issued three or four subpoenas to hart in 2019 “requesting” information. I don’t know what the status is, but I hope the investigation is continuing and will result in some indictments and convictions.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 3:00 AM

This has got to be the first {and hopefully the last} automated transit service that only. runs every 20 minutes and only until 7PM. This has been a complete fiasco and heads should be rolling.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 6:30 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
This has got to be the first {and hopefully the last} automated transit service that only. runs every 20 minutes and only until 7PM. This has been a complete fiasco and heads should be rolling.
wut? where did you get that schedule??

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 8:20 AM
Lahaina Strong

Some video I took of test trains around Waipahu.

Managed to snag some video around Waipahu of test trains, which were running every 10 minutes each way. Video taken Saturday, May 13th 2023.

Video Link

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 1:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ excellent work and view -- and just what i wanted to see -- 4 car sets, eh? -- thanks!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 11:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

SOON!

Infrastructure
HART turns rail project over to the City and County of Honolulu

The rail system will debut on June 30 with service along a 10.75-mile segment.

Mischa Wanek-Libman
June 12, 2023

more:
https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/...ty-of-honolulu

An aerial view of the Kualakai - East Kapolei station, one of nine new rail stations that were built as part of the Honolulu rail project.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2023, 5:46 AM
Lahaina Strong

Honolulu Rail officially called "Skyline"

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 2:58 PM

7 p.m. end of service. Wow!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 5:56 PM
你的媽媽

Congratulations, Honolulu! Looking forward to riding it on my next visit.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 4:36 PM

This is from about 3 weeks ago before the line officially opened, and the train doesn't seem to be going as fast as it should, but I like the automated English/Hawaiian announcements.
Video Link

I liked watching the news coverage of it; I like hearing the accents.
Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
This is from about 3 weeks ago before the line officially opened, and the train doesn't seem to be going as fast as it should, but I like the automated English/Hawaiian announcements.

I think that the telephoto compression is causing it to look much slower than it is.

Also, you can tell that the kids have never ridden on a train of any kind before. This thing is blowing their mind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation