HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I quickly passed (and thus was unable to shoot) Mission Bay today. A bunch of glass has been delivered to 1500 Owens, so we should start to see that go on shortly. And they have started installing the facade at the Arquitectonica-designed Avalon Bay development. It looks like pre-cast concrete, but might not be (I didn't have much time to examine it). Don't fear, it doesn't look bad so far (after just a handful of sections have been installed).
you can barely see some of the avalon pre-cast facade at the base of the tower from the webcam if you zoom in.

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/?webPath=avalonbay/amb/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
BANNED

More on Pfizer from CurbedSF:

Quote:
Pfizer, UCSF, and Mission Bay: A Love Story

Behind every pharmaceutical megafirm headquarters is a story that warms the cockles of the heart: Gather 'round for the tale of Pfizer, which last week announced they would be moving in to new digs at Mission Bay Boulevard, South. The drug company had been hoping to merge intellectual zygotes with UCSF's research facility for some time, and wanted a good site nearby. Before they ended up at the Alexandria property, they scoped China Basin Landing at 185 Berry Street, which was finishing up a 175,000-square-foot expansion. It was close to UCSF, but evidently not close enough, and they weren't about to do the long-distance thing ("15-minute walk? How ridic!"). Instead, they inked a deal with Alexandria to move in on just the other side of the UCSF Mission Bay campus — the city was all too happy to have more biotech in Mission Bay, and they all lived happily ever after.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/ (renderings at http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2008/0...on_bay.php?o=2 )

Last edited by BTinSF; Aug 12, 2008 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I quickly passed (and thus was unable to shoot) Mission Bay today. A bunch of glass has been delivered to 1500 Owens, so we should start to see that go on shortly.
A few panels started going up yesterday on the east façade of 1500 Owens. Haven't been by there yet today, but I assume they're moving right along on it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 4:21 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^^^I noticed that today. I couldn't really see how it looked from the freeway, but you can see glass going up.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 4:24 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I got another couple of drive-by shots of Avalon today. At least you can see the colors:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 10:50 PM

Here's a shot of 1500 Owens from that SmugMug site I've linked to a couple of times before. The glass has an interesting randomness of tints...very cool. Some of the panels even have two different tints...at first it just looks like shadows, but there are actually different shades there.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:48 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for posting that, Cowboy. It's the best look yet I've had of the glass. I like it!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 7:53 AM
BANNED

240 Berry on Socketsite ( http://www.socketsite.com )

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 7:55 AM
BANNED

The Avalon rendering (I had forgotten what it looked like--perhaps you have too):

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...s_for_you.html

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
555 Mission Rock: Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow (And A Recap)

The quick recap for 555 Mission Rock in south Mission Bay: 192 apartments ranging in size from 650 to 1,300 square feet (and 10,000 square feet of ground floor retail).

Development by Urban Housing Group, design by SB Architects, and opening Spring 2009.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...and_a_rec.html

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 7:26 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It's a bit out of date, but I love that aerial shot of the skyline.

Last edited by peanut gallery; Aug 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 7:38 PM

Blablablablabla. Like every other uninspired development in Mission Bay.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 4:26 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1tyguy View Post
Blablablablabla. Like every other uninspired development in Mission Bay.
Yeah, boring!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 4:36 AM
Resu Deretsiger

I got a chick in SF so I have opportunities to take pictures. These are from my cell phone so they are gonna suck.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:56 AM

Couple of shots of 1500 Owens. Glass going up nicely on the east façade. It looks a bit drab in the direct sunlight of morning, but from midday on, it reflects ambient light rather nicely. In the second photo you can see the first few windows going into the south façade.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 3:29 PM
Only Mostly Dead

This is looking great. I hadn't seen the shape of the crown before. Right now, I think this is my favorite south of the channel.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:26 PM
Only Mostly Dead

This is hardly surprising. It's a shame because phase II will make this a much better looking development, IMO.

From the San Francisco Business Times:

Quote:
Bosa Development suspends Mission Bay condo project
Developer to restart in spring
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen
Friday, September 5, 2008

Bosa Development has suspended construction of the next phase of its Radiance condominium project in Mission Bay, citing weaker-than-expected sales amid the housing downturn.

Nearly 18 months after the sales office opened for the 99-unit first phase, a total of 30 units have closed and another 22 are in contract for the completed building. Dennis Serraglio, Bosa’s director of sales and marketing, said lenders Scotiabank and Bank of America want to see at least two-thirds of the units closed before the steel starts to rise on Phase Two.

Bosa completed all the piles for the 318-unit Phase Two before construction was halted in July. Serraglio said he is hoping sales will be far enough along to justify pouring concrete on phase two by spring of 2009, making the project about a year behind schedule.

“The construction lenders are a bit nervous in this market — they want to see where it’s going,” said Serraglio. “It is a tough market right now. Buyers are taking longer to make a purchase decision. We’re used to buyers coming in once or twice and then entering into a contract. Here we’re seeing them come back five or six times.”
Some photos I shot awhile ago:

Here's how Phase II is supposed to look:

Here are some of the piles mentioned in the article with Phase I behind:

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 6:22 PM

^^^And since Bosa has a stranglehold on most of the rest of the residential projects in Mission Bay South, expect the rest of the pipeline to be delayed as well. Nothing else had firm start dates, but a project or two has been designed and made its way through the city approval process.

In other news, 1500 Owens is continuing to shape up. They're putting glass into the openings on the southern and western façades. They've temporarily halted major glass work on the eastern façade to allow pouring of the Owens Street road bed to take place. They did the eastern half of the street a couple of days ago, and are doing the western half today.

They've also opened a small driveway/road running along the freeway side of that "campus". It has allowed them to close down the access road that previously cut through the 1600 Owens site and they are now drilling and casting piles for that project. (I don't believe actual construction is necessarily imminent though.) They seem to be done casting piles for the first parking garage there, and I believe they are headed through the city approvals process for the second garage.

Over along Third Street, there is excavation and concrete work for the grade beams going on at the Pfizer complex at 455 MB Blvd S, and the large parking garage south of there is seeing forms going up for its fifth level.

They've also torn up the hodgepodge of asphalt sidewalks for several blocks along the western side of Third, have prepared irrigation lines for future street trees, and will likely pour proper sidewalks and corner aprons soon.

It's difficult to get a good vantage point on future Fourth Street, but they look to have poured a significant portion of the road bed between Channel Street and 555 Mission Rock. I've also seen them installing traffic lights along there.

As for 555 Mission Rock, I saw a large mobile crane there yesterday doing something with the tower crane, so that may be on the verge of coming down. The building has been topped out for several weeks now.

On UCSF's campus, scaffolding has come down from much of the Diller Cancer Research Building along Third, although the prominent eastern façade is still pretty well covered with scaffolding and netting. Foundation work on the cardiovascular research building just west of that is continuing. It looks to be about two-thirds poured, with the rebar done for the remainder. They're pouring more concrete today. Shouldn't be too long before steel starts to rise.

Finally, and this is old news, they have removed all of the vertical glass panels from UCSF's Third Street Garage. They have had problems with the panels cracking, and were trying to determine the cause and an in-place solution the last I heard, but it seems that they've had to bring them all down. There had also been a lot of complaints that the concrete was far too visible behind the translucent glass unless you were looking at it from a very oblique angle, but I'm not sure if the cracking fix will involve new panels that can be made more opaque to address that issue.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
^^^And since Bosa has a stranglehold on most of the rest of the residential projects in Mission Bay South, expect the rest of the pipeline to be delayed as well. Nothing else had firm start dates, but a project or two has been designed and made its way through the city approval process.
If they aren't interested in developing it, maybe they'll sell it as we have seen in other cases. It costs money to just sit on property.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 10:34 PM
North Beach

They were indeed today removing the tower crane at 555 Mission Rock:

It was so hot at lunchtime that even I was too lazy to go over there and watch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development