130 North Franklin in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:21 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawainpanda View Post
not entirely sure how much that really means in regards tot he development of the building but agree with others, this building is fantastic, would love to see it and 151 N franklin fill in prime spaces in the loop that are currently parking lots
Agreed I really want this tower to be built, it's so god damn sleek.

I don't feel the same way about 151, to boring, hopefully that get's an up-grade. But that probably won't happen.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:31 AM

Re open floor plans, modern office buildings come with wide open floor plates that tenants can build out however they see fit, be it open floor plan or a million tiny office pods, so individual office designs is up to the tenants and not the building.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'm 41, so not exactly the "younger generation," but I'm often more in line with the younger generation than people my age as far as preferences go.

I strongly prefer an open office plan. It's probably partly due to me working in the trading industry where that is pretty much the standard, but better air and light, easier identification of where people I need are, and easier for people who need me to find me all make it so much more efficient than high-wall cubes.

People talk about "distractions" and such, but the privacy of a high-walled cube also makes it easier for people to slack off, which, in my experience, more than offsets any improvement fewer distractions allow from an organization standpoint. And some "distractions" are actually beneficial to a business if they are keeping workers informed and working on the necessary parts of a project when they need to be. Isolation can make change harder simply because people are less aware of what others are doing.

This is going to sound bad, and I don't aim it any anyone in this thread, but it's also been my experience that the people who gripe the most about open plan offices are often the least-productive workers. The only real exception are people doing work that requires privacy, such as certain kinds of law, HR departments, executives, etc. And even then, in the case of executives when you're visible as an executive you can usually muster more out of your workers than you can if they never see you.

So, basically, better light, better air, and having actual line-of-sight of what your team is doing is a huge advantage that, in my experience, more than offsets the switching-costs of additional distractions and disruptions brought on by open-plan office layouts.
Dude. Seriously. Writers, coders, artists, researchers, statisticians, analysts - basically anyone with a specialized skill set beyond chatting people up - craves privacy so we can do our work in peace while you take the credit and bitch about slackers. Younger generation? You sound 60.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Dude. Seriously. Writers, coders, artists, researchers, statisticians, analysts - basically anyone with a specialized skill set beyond chatting people up - craves privacy so we can do our work in peace while you take the credit and bitch about slackers. Younger generation? You sound 60.
Kinda harsh.

I'd always preferred privacy, but college architecture studio forced me to work in an open floor plan. I had my own desks and computer but no partitions between me and any of my peers. I was surprised by how easy it was for me to adapt.

I've currently got something more than a cubicle but less than an office—no door but eight foot tall 2x4 walls in a warehouse-tyoe building with cathedral ceilings.

I hate it. I hate shouting over the walls from my seat, the reduced of face-to-face interaction, and the lack of natural light, and it's for sure easier for me to fall down an internet k-hole. emathias' description rings true for me.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
This is going to sound bad, and I don't aim it any anyone in this thread, but it's also been my experience that the people who gripe the most about open plan offices are often the least-productive workers. The only real exception are people doing work that requires privacy, such as certain kinds of law, HR departments, executives, etc. And even then, in the case of executives when you're visible as an executive you can usually muster more out of your workers than you can if they never see you.

So, basically, better light, better air, and having actual line-of-sight of what your team is doing is a huge advantage that, in my experience, more than offsets the switching-costs of additional distractions and disruptions brought on by open-plan office layouts.
Yuck sounds like micromanagment. "Say hello to LUMBERGH for me!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
First that response was way over the top I think you may have some unresolved issues with a current or previous employer. Second my office is an open plan office with programmers designers and writiers and we prefer it that way. No gross cubicals, no micromanaging, lots of creative social interaction, and enough space that we don't feel like we are smothering each other.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:35 PM
you know where I'll be

I'm more with Notyrview here. As I spend a decent part of my time in heavy duty analysis and writing, I do think that floor plans in recent years have become too wide open. In fact, some companies in the last couple years are realizing that they in fact went too far. However, they and I also realize that it is a balance, that certainly natural light, communication, collaboration, etc etc are indeed considerations that should continue to be part of the equation.....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Agreed I really want this tower to be built, it's so god damn sleek.

I don't feel the same way about 151, to boring, hopefully that get's an up-grade. But that probably won't happen.

Disagree on 2nd part - I do like 130, however Ronan's 151 is the superior design in my book, for its almost 'classic' modern elegance. At any rate, they're both and, I really think in the not distant future (by end of this year perhaps) both will be officially launched....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Different strokes for different folks, and a lot of it depends on the specific needs of the occupier. Having not only worked in a variety of office layouts, but also having designed a variety of corporate office layouts, there is no magic formula for what works best.

I think the renderings in the video were intended solely to provide a visual of a possible layout, and since one of the biggest trends right now is partition-less plan, it's only really a marketing ploy.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 3:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Yuck sounds like micromanagment. "Say hello to LUMBERGH for me!!"

First that response was way over the top I think you may have some unresolved issues with a current or previous employer. Second my office is an open plan office with programmers designers and writiers and we prefer it that way. No gross cubicals, no micromanaging, lots of creative social interaction, and enough space that we don't feel like we are smothering each other.
Ok, admittedly, response was OTT, but my point is totally valid. I'm really tired of management theory from MBA programs dictating how people should work - they are better at dictating how graduates of MBA programs should work. It's a huge insidious sampling error. And of course I have issues with an ex-employer. I was forced to be an extrovert by ex-frat boys and sorority girls from those MBA programs. Look, I'm not saying everyone should be cordoned off into silos, but there needs to be a balance and rethinking of the workplace from a broader psychosocial sample. The real culprit isn't slackers, it's theory gone haywire forcing people to be 1) who they are not, and 2) participate in an endless schedule of unproductive meetings where project managers just talk talk talk. Being a programmer and writer, most of my peers need privacy to get any real work done. That's why we wind up doing most of it after hours.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 5:03 PM

Let's keep this discussion on topic please. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:28 AM
TL;DR

I have heard some rumblings about this project... hopefully we hear some good news in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Thanks for sharing the rumblings. I really want this project to take off because i'm crazy and lay in bed at night thinking about potential towers.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 11:30 PM

Nice, this one I am almost more excited for than 150 N Riverside and definitely more excited for than River Point. This part of downtown is going to be an absolute forest of cranes if this starts this year.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:10 AM

Never noticed how big of an impact this will make from the Randolph and Washington st. bridges
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131580...3/16416233323/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:47 AM
DENNAB

This building is nice, is it starting soon?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:39 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Never noticed how big of an impact this will make from the Randolph and Washington st. bridges
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131580...3/16416233323/
Shit that's nice.

can you create one with the skyline?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:08 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I have heard some rumblings about this project... hopefully we hear some good news in the coming weeks.
Brendan Reilly is hosting a public meeting about this tower later in April.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:23 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Yup, very excited for this one.

Just hope the design doesn't change.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Reposting from Highrise thread: Just received a physically mailed letter from Reilly announcing community presentation for development proposal at 130 N Franklin. 51 story office building, ground floor retail / commercial; 190 off street parking; large landscaped plaza containing 20,000 SF open space.

WHEN: Monday April 20 2015 @ 6pm

WHERE: 227 West Monroe Rustle & Roux 2nd Fl. Cafeteria

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:22 AM
The City

^ So with this making it this far, we potentially have this one, 444 W Lake, 150 N Riverside, and 151 N Franklin coming out of this boom?

I know some out there are predicting about 4 office towers out of this cycle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals