HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 8:43 PM

The State of U.S. Bike Infrastructure

https://www.engineering.com/BIM/Arti...US-Cities.aspx

Quote:

- As was the case with high-speed rail, the tradition of bicycling as a primary means of transportation in other countries has become so widespread that entire highways (referred to as “cycling superhighways” or “bike freeways”) are in the process of being built. While in the UK, a 16,575-mile bike network has been established, and in Belgium, 932 miles of 1,491 miles of cycle superhighway has been built. --- These highways, which first started appearing around the 1980s, are filled with bicycles, recumbent bikes, cargo bikes and velomobiles. In some cases, mopeds, Segways and pedestrians are permitted at certain speeds. In most cases, the intent is to prevent as much stopping for automobile traffic as possible. For instance, in the UK’s National Cycle Network, 5,273 miles are completely free of traffic.

- Infrastructure in the U.S. has been improving since the early 80s, however. In a studyfor Transportation Research A, researchers note that federal spending has increased from just $5 million per year in 1991 to almost $1 billion per year in 2009. The authors explain “it is clear that federal funding for walking and cycling infrastructure and programs has increased dramatically over the past two decades. That infusion of federal funding for pedestrian and cycling infrastructure and programs has undoubtedly encouraged local and state governments to construct new and improved cycling facilities.” As a result, more Americans are biking, with total trips tripling between 1977 and 2009, and the number of workers cycling to work increasing 11 percent between 2009 and 2012.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
In a Deadly Year for Cyclists, New York City Could Make Protected Bike Lanes a Required Option on Major Streets

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2775...tandards-bill/

now if only they would make widening the way too narrow sidewalks a priority --- given all the new residents and tourists over the past decade or so!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

booo!

well, i wouldn't mind if they ensured the e-bikes make some kind of a noise. they are completely silent and come running up on pedestrians at high speed with no warning. i have seen plenty of near misses already with bootleg e-bikes and it is hella dangerous because no one knows how to drive anyway.

TRANSIT
E-bikes, e-scooters to get green light from New York lawmakers, aide says

The agreement represents a win for scooter companies and predominantly-immigrant delivery workers in New York City who rely on illegal e-bikes to satisfy arduous, low-paying jobs.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/ebikes-...nyc-1.32536843

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 12:03 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yay - cpw is getting a protected bike lane:

https://www.amny.com/transit/nyc-bic...ths-1.34502086

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yesterday
biking mural on underpass
dumbo brooklyn

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the downside of bike lanes is they encourage type-a terrorism. riding at high rates of speed and blowing through lights in crowded city areas. ugh.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/manhat...from-injuries/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 6:41 PM

Better Bike Infrastructure Expands Economic Opportunity: Report

http://access.umn.edu/research/america/biking/2017/

Quote:

- This first-of-its-kind research ranks the 50 largest (by population) metropolitan areas in the United States for connecting workers with jobs via bicycle. The study incorporates traffic stress and cycling comfort in its evaluation of access to destinations by bicycle. According to the study, low-stress routes are separated bike lanes and paths. Medium-stress routes include all bike infrastructure, low-stress facilities plus on-street unprotected bike lanes, certain shared lanes, and mixing with traffic on some non-arterial streets.

- The following maps show summary accessibility data and maps for each of the metropolitan areas included in the study. The maps show 30-minute accessibility values at the Census block level. Lighter colors indicate few jobs can be reached within 30 minutes; darker colors indicate more jobs can be reached within 30 minutes. At the highest levels, more than 100,000 jobs are accessible by bike within 30 minutes. In addition to the top 50 metropolitan areas, the study includes accessibility maps for other metro areas in the National Accessibility Evaluation Pooled-Fund Study.

Top 50 metro area accessibility maps: http://access.umn.edu/research/ameri...aps/index.html

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
the downside of bike lanes is they encourage type-a terrorism. riding at high rates of speed and blowing through lights in crowded city areas. ugh.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/manhat...from-injuries/
Yeah, I hate those people. They are akin to the "nasty American" or whatever the term is for Americans embarrassing us overseas.

However, I would rather get hit with a biker going full speed than a car going 30 miles an hour. So it's the lesser of two evils I guess. Cops never seem to do anything about it though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 5:09 PM

In Paris’s Suburbs, a Bike Trail Plan Carries a Big Promise

Read More: https://www.citylab.com/transportati...uronne/596089/

Quote:

- Paris may be developing a reputation as a bike-friendly city, but that friendliness still has its limitations. Arguably chief among those limitations is the region’s inner beltway, the Boulevard Périphérique, the chronically clogged highway separating the historic city from its (very dense) “suburbs,” in which safe lanes are fewer and the distances are longer. Recently, however, Paris’s suburbs have been catching up, and a new proposal could make them radically easier to navigate by bicycle.

Cycling associations across Greater Paris are working on a plan for a cycle-track network that covers the metro area. Called “RER for bikes” or “RER V”, a reference to the city’s transformative suburban rapid-transit rail system, the network could make Greater Paris far more bike-accessible and galvanize a movement for suburban bike infrastructure. Most importantly, it could make longer-distance bike commuting for suburban Parisians not just feasible, but actually desirable.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 10:09 AM
YIMBY co-founder

iirc RER means Regional Express Network, so having a RER V for bikes makes perfect sense even linguistically.

Also, I'll bet the RER V is the infra project in modern Paris history with the best cost to benefit ratio. Good bike infra generally is.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:26 PM

Some protected bike lanes leave cyclists vulnerable to injury

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/som...able-to-injury

Quote:

- Bike lanes separated from the roadway by physical barriers make cyclists feel safer and encourage more people to ride. But a new IIHS study shows that protected bike lanes vary in terms of injury risk. Factors such as the number of driveways or alleys intersecting the lanes and whether the lanes are one- or two-direction affect the likelihood of a crash or fall. — First, they interviewed bicyclists who visited emergency rooms in the District of Columbia, New York City and Portland, Oregon, after crashing or falling. After gathering information about the characteristics of the location where the crash or fall occurred, the researchers then compared the site to another, randomly selected point on the cyclist's route. A total of 604 adults were included in the study.

- A crash or fall didn't have to involve a vehicle to be included in the study, and only about half did. Most of the injuries in the study were minor, and there were no fatalities. Compared with a major road with no bike infrastructure, the risk of a crash or fall was much lower on two-way protected bike lanes on bridges or raised from the roadway, for example, within greenways. In contrast, the risk of a crash or fall on a two-way protected bike lane at street level was much higher than that of a major road. One-way protected bike lanes differed little from major roads in terms of injury risk. — Most fatal bicyclist crashes involving motor vehicles occur midblock, while cyclists in protected bike lanes in the study collided with vehicles most often at intersections or junctions with driveways and alleys. In such cases, vehicles are usually turning and traveling slowly.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 8:42 PM

A lot of protected bike lanes are nightmares to bike down. Pedestrians, delivery guys, etc., cross them erratically, and bicycle traffic is just as erratic.

You can't swerve much to the left or right to avoid problems. That could be an object on the road or one of the issues I already listed.

Most people build a false sense of security in bike lanes. They think people see them. They don't.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:52 PM

Unpopular opinion here: cyclists also need to be held more accountable and stop blaming car drivers for everything. I cycle over 50 miles a week(minimum) and I could not want to be disassociated with those people more. They are arguably the most arrogant and aggressive culture groups I know of. I ride just fine with car traffic and have few issues. Cyclists should ride more defensively.

*cue the pro cycling crowd claiming more car drivers need be accountable even though by far and large they are. LOL

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:19 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Unpopular opinion here: cyclists also need to be held more accountable and stop blaming car drivers for everything. I cycle over 50 miles a week(minimum) and I could not want to be disassociated with those people more. They are arguably the most arrogant and aggressive culture groups I know of. I ride just fine with car traffic and have few issues. Cyclists should ride more defensively.

*cue the pro cycling crowd claiming more car drivers need be accountable even though by far and large they are. LOL
Who are "those people"?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Who are "those people"?
I clearly said which people I am referring to. I am grouping the cycling community together. I define that as those who frequently cycle. Yes that includes me and no not every cyclist is like that. I can be an asshole so I'm omitting nor including myself. Stop trying to bait and address my other points if you have something to say.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:38 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
I clearly said which people I am referring to. I am grouping the cycling community together. I define that as those who frequently cycle. Yes that includes me and no not every cyclist is like that. I can be an asshole so I'm omitting nor including myself. Stop trying to bait and address my other points if you have something to say.
I have nothing to say. I was confused by your remark and sought clarification. Your answer leaves me even more confused, so it's not worth my time to pursue this further.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:21 AM

It is correct that the city biking advocates generally don't bike much and aren't particularly good at it but suck up 99% of the attention. There is a bike trail guy in my city who can't help but mug for the camera and tell and retell his story. I've never seen him photographed or filmed riding an actual bike.

These people poo-poo and are dismissive toward people who are good road bikers - the sort who don't care if there are bike lanes or not. They are oblivious to the existence of mountain bikers, who are usually both the most athletic and the most chill of any biking subgroup.

10-15 years ago we had the hipster city bike trend. Fixie bikes, old crap 10-speeds from the 70s. Those people managed to suck even more than their bikes. Where did they go? I don't know. I see their fixie bikes all over Craigslist now.

Those people wanted to be seen. They parked their bikes in the most conspicuous places possible. Made sure everyone on the patio saw them roll up to the bar on their old bikes. That were soon after forgotten and now litter Craigslist.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
They parked their bikes in the most conspicuous places possible.
Do you mean this?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:

I bike. I agree. I saw this video on YouTube of some old dudes biking down Pennsylvania Avenue in DC and they yelled at a dude for...passing them at a stop light to get ahead of them. Like they really freaked out that a dude passed them. They take themselves WAY too seriously.

On the other end, i've seen idiots riding in a lane, the opposite direction, while there were bike lanes RIGHT next to them.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 9:37 PM

^^^^
It's sad. I see it all the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation