HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 12:11 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2022 in TEL AVIV

Tel Aviv is a fairly new city, founded in 1909 as a suburb for the ancient port of Jaffa. I came here because it was the only redemption flight I could get from Hong Kong to Europe, and it was a fairly cheap one luckily. With only 36 hours in town, I spent my first morning exploring Florentin's graffiti and market, which yielded a lot of interesting finds.

Jewish immigrants from the Balkans established Levinsky Market in the 1920s and since then, chefs have come to find fresh herbs, spices, and more. As more immigrants moved to Tel Aviv following its independence, products from many places could be found here. Today, we can find nuts, stuffed vegetables, olives, and dried fruit among the many items for sale.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/telaviv.htm

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 1:06 AM

TEL AVIV is rare on this forum, even rarer than San Francisco.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 5:22 PM
Me?!?

Very nice!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:24 PM
Hong Kong

Tel Aviv's skyscrapers are clustered around a large highway and rail line east of the historic centre. While easily accessible by train, it is a bit far from the typical tourist attractions.

Located in front of the skyscrapers, Sarona was founded by Templar Christians from Germany about 150 years ago. Its restoration dates from 2006 when the city turned the site into a serene urban park, skyscrapers, and even a lively indoor market.

A short walk downhill along Eliezer Kaplan Street are more modern buildings. The Azrieli Center comprises 3 skyscrapers, appropriately named the Square (154m), Triangular (169m), and Round (187m). They sit on top of a shopping mall which is connected to the train station by pedestrian bridge.

The bridge to Hashalom station offers a good view of the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:42 AM

Nice pictures so far!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 12:51 AM

Fascinating, thanks for sharing. The contrast between old and modern is really intriguing.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 3:52 PM
Hong Kong

Carmel Market is a short walk from the waterfront and is the premier market to visit from the tourist literature. The main pedestrian-only market offers all sorts of goods, although I was interested in only the food selection. It seemed relatively small compared to other Middle Eastern souks I've visited although it was vibrant with lots of people doing their grocery shopping as well as sightseeing.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

Do you know what that tall structure is on the right?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:43 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
Do you know what that tall structure is on the right?
It seems part of the military compound across the street from the Azrieli Mall.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:46 AM
Hong Kong

Tel Aviv's story begins at the old port of Jaffa, which has a long history including being ruled by a number of ancient peoples from the Egyptians to the Greeks. It became a major trading port in the 19th century, serving as an export centre for oranges and a gateway for pilgrims heading to Jerusalem.

The suspended orange tree showcases a famous Jaffa export. Orchards are believed to have started here in the 18th century and a special type of orange became a major export by the mid-19th century.

Today's port is more a tourist destination although a number of boats are still parked here.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 6:47 AM
Hong Kong

Tel Aviv doesn't have an observation deck to see the skyline from above, but the airport is close to downtown and the flight path in is spectacular.

Closer to the ground, the Jaffa waterfront offers good views for free. A few brave souls were in the water despite the winter season.

Go up the short set of stairs to find HaPisgah Gardens, another good vantage point.

There are a few must-eat places here. One is Abouelafia, a family-owned bakery that has advocated for peace between Arabs and Jews. Prices are very reasonable and I picked up a few items for a snack later in the evening and breakfast the next day.

For hummus fans, be sure to go to the simply-decorated Abu Hassan for a plate. There aren't many tables but you will forget about the restaurant environment when the food arrives. The hummus comes with actual chick peas inside, half an onion, and pita bread. I've never scooped up hummus with onion before, but it's a wonderful combination.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 2:49 PM
Community Guy

Great tour of such an intriguing city and region.

Most definitely on my list of places to go.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:42 PM

The food looks phenomenal. Not sure there is a cuisine out there I love more than Israeli...all the mezze, apps, etc., and emphasis on fresh veggies/plant-based foods makes me drool. The men are something else there too. Again, Israeli men...someone fetch me a glass of water ASAP.

That said, I can't say the city itself looks particularly attractive (aside from the ancient structures and bauhaus, it appears that the majority of buildings are of the brutalist, 60s variety). I've heard it is incredibly vibrant and fun though, so that's more than enough reason to visit. TV is definitely on my bucket list for the next couple of years.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 12:00 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice to see —

pretty, pretty good —

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:09 PM
Hong Kong

Founded in 1909, Tel Aviv is a fairly new city. They embarked on a large city-building campaign based on Sir Patrick Geddes' design and White City was part of that when it was built in the 1930s and 40s. Some 4000 buildings here were built in Bauhaus style, which earned it UNESCO World Heritage status in 2003. Known for its clean lines, curvatures, and simple white geometry, they were designed by Jewish architects who fled Europe.

Pagoda House has both Western and Oriental elements. Designed by Alexander Levy in 1925, the Eclectic style building has one of the city's first elevators.

Veering west towards the Carmel Market, I came across 2 quaint alleys that lead off from the busy King George Street. Simta Plonit has a statue of a lion at the end, bought by a businessman who tried to name these alleys after himself and his wife. But the city wouldn't let that happen, and named these alleys 'anonymous' and 'nameless'.

Bialik Square was home to many wealthy folks from Europe. At the small traffic circle is the former city hall, which was intended to be a hotel but the city rented it in 1924 and stayed until 1965.

My architecture tour would end further north at Dizengoff Circle, which is surrounded by almost identical buildings with curved balconies. Opened in 1938, this is traditionally the centre of White City.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 7:03 PM

Interesting neighborhood!

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 2:57 AM
Hong Kong

St. Peter's Monastery was built in the 1890s on what was once a citadel. Rumour has it that Napoleon stayed here in 1799 during his Middle Eastern conquest.

Next door, many tourist groups were gathering around Kedumim Square, a large open space where the visitor's centre is located and where the catacombs once stood.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 7:45 AM
Hong Kong

Tel Aviv's hotel strip and main tourist drag is centred around its beachfront, and it is stunning. I only need to walk 5 minutes from my room across the street to the Mediterranean Sea.

More photos on my website : 36 Hours in Tel Aviv Photo Gallery

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 11:44 PM
Great White Norf

Excellent photo tour of a city rarely seen on SSP

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 10:10 AM
Hong Kong

I didn't have much opportunity to take to the trains since the main rail line sits outside the main tourist areas and inland from the Mediterranean coast, although it reaches the airport quickly. I mostly relied on my feet and buses to get around using my smart card, which I got from a vending machine at the airport.

At the time of my visit, the light rail was under testing, and reached a bit deeper to the coast and closer to the tourist attractions.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos