cle/west village/shaolin

palm springs

palm springs april may 2023

around palm springs and coachella valley --

lga

palm springs -- aerial tram

cliff house -- la quinta

joshua tree national park

did i mention it was between 110-115F the whole trip?

so of course this was the 115F degree day

29 palms town -- old schoolhouse

joshua tree town

found what i was looking for

palm springs

little bar magic hour -- palm desert

moorten botanic garden/epic desert plant store

i yike toortles

hotel

at the ps airport -- btw its a great little open air airport

*** and thats all for palm springs -- i hope you enjoyed ! ***

Last edited by mrnyc; Jun 27, 2023 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 1:53 PM
Me?!?

Wonderful!

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 5:42 PM

Very nice pictures!

And I didn't realize it's been that hot in Palm Springs for the past few months or so!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 7:52 PM

Nice, I would love to visit more often but I just hate the drive from LA. Also I’ve never been in the winter months, I’m not a big fan of the summer heat. I have an uncle who lives out there and he has a beautiful house, and a nice backyard with a pool, covered outdoor dining area, and nice views of the mountains. I can see the appeal but at the same time I just couldn’t live there year round. If there was a train from LA like Metrolink getting extended (I believe Amtrak used to service the area from LA) I would most definitely visit more often especially during the winter months when the area would be most comfortable.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 10:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Nice, I would love to visit more often but I just hate the drive from LA. Also I’ve never been in the winter months, I’m not a big fan of the summer heat. I have an uncle who lives out there and he has a beautiful house, and a nice backyard with a pool, covered outdoor dining area, and nice views of the mountains. I can see the appeal but at the same time I just couldn’t live there year round. If there was a train from LA like Metrolink getting extended (I believe Amtrak used to service the area from LA) I would most definitely visit more often especially during the winter months when the area would be most comfortable.

haha yeah. believe it or not its not really the heat so much as the wind and desert dust in the air. we were feeling that in the lungs by the end.

apparantly palm springs is currently served by long haul amtrak -- and in fact service can often be halted for blowing winds and sand:

Amtrak began serving Palm Springs via the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle on June 3, 1997. The station, located about eight miles north of downtown, was built by the city two years later and consists of a shelter whose design echoes the colors and forms of the nearby desert.

currently:

Palm Springs, CA, Service Temporarily Suspended
Effective Immediately

Due to frequent high winds and sandstorms at and around the Palm Springs, CA, station, Amtrak may temporarily suspend service to this location.

Local sandstorms can cause sand drifts near the station, making it unsafe for passengers. Amtrak is working with the host railroad, Union Pacific, and the City of Palm Springs to implement a long-term solution.

When conditions are deemed hazardous, the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle may need to bypass Palm Springs while en route. If this occurs, the train crew will notify affected passengers onboard that they will be taken to the Ontario, CA station, approximately 70 miles west of Palm Springs. No alternate transportation between Ontario and Palm Springs will be provided.

more:
https://www.amtrak.com/stations/psn

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...ng/8246666002/

also, i saw that as for coming from los angeles, its as messed up as anywhere in america. the sunset limited arrives latenight and another train stops somewhere and then uses an amtrak thruway bus (that is supposed to be ok as it hits major stops along the coachella valley). there is a private rideshare service called tesloop too where you share tesla rides back and forth out there. and maybe more or something differs, but that is what i found.

anyway, i am surprized there are not really threads here on ssp about this area.

no doubt we'll be back sometime to check out stuff we missed like the art museum, living desert, salton sea, anza borrego and idyllwild up in the mountains.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 1:48 AM

If I made a trip to Palm Springs, it would mainly be to see the mid century modern homes.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 12:21 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
If I made a trip to Palm Springs, it would mainly be to see the mid century modern homes.
hiking in the am and poolside in the pm is the thing imo.

if you want to see the modernist homes definitely plan way ahead as they are either booked up or don't offer tours often.
it was not at all as easy as in los angeles. we drove around just to look too, but but a lot is hidden.
tbh i really didnt do much homework on that, but its important to do around here if u are into it.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 9:29 PM

Just got back from spending Memorial Day weekend in Palm Desert! Thanks for the timely photo thread.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 11:34 PM

Fun tour. Thanks for the thread. They have some interesting art in Palm Springs.

I found this one super interesting.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Fun tour. Thanks for the thread. They have some interesting art in Palm Springs.

I found this one super interesting.

fyi --- its in front of the art museum --- i saw it was this:

'History of Suspended Time' going up in front of Palm Springs Art Museum

Laine Henry
Palm Springs Desert Sun
April 9, 2021

Palm Springs Art Museum has a new installation in the lot across from its main campus.

Artist Gonzalo Lebrija's "History of Suspended Time (A monument for the impossible)" features a car suspended over a pool of liquid, seeming as if it is frozen in time, according to the museum.

The installation is meant to encourage thought about “suspension and the passage of time — focusing on precise moments of stillness and impact." said Rochelle Steiner, the museum's chief curator and director of public programs and education.

The museum will present an exhibition titled "American Roads" in tandem with the installation, according to Steiner.

more:
https://www.desertsun.com/story/life...um/7096898002/

also of note, i saw the fun, but odd alien 'babies on the move' are moving to mexico city soon:

Bye bye, ‘Babies’: Famous downtown sculptures leaving Palm Springs for Mexico

Paul Albani-Burgio
May 2, 2023

Whether you love, hate or are simply confused by them, downtown Palm Springs' "Babies" statues have become as much a part of the area's fabric as Las Casuelas, over-the-top milkshakes and sunburned tourists.

But come June all but one of the babies sculpted by Czech artist David Černý will be heading to Mexico, leaving an empty hole in the city center and, presumably, several baby-sized ones in local art lovers' hearts.

Art dealer and gallerist Christian Hohmann, who represents Černý, told The Desert Sun residents might notice some of the statues being moved even sooner, since the plan is to repaint all nine prior to the move.

The Mexican exhibition starts on June 30 and runs through next January.

more:
https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...o/70177073007/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 3:47 AM

Palm Springs seems like my kind of place. I've driven through the area but never stopped. Would love to visit the town and Joshua Tree sometime.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 6:20 PM

I just spent MDW there and had a blast. It's the west coast gay man's answer to Fire Island Pines (the NYC weekend escape equivalent). My crew jumped from fabulous midcentury mansion house party to the next and ran into so many SF'ers and LA boys I know.

The vibe out there is super relaxing...overall just a perfect retro vibe. Everything looks more vivid and colorful out there too, for some reason.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 4:50 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I just spent MDW there and had a blast. It's the west coast gay man's answer to Fire Island Pines (the NYC weekend escape equivalent). My crew jumped from fabulous midcentury mansion house party to the next and ran into so many SF'ers and LA boys I know.

The vibe out there is super relaxing...overall just a perfect retro vibe. Everything looks more vivid and colorful out there too, for some reason.
actually fire island pines is small, isolated and exclusively gay men, wheareas palm springs is of course a city and sprawl region mixed with weekenders, concert festival goers, retirees, locals and etc. straights as well. but as you alluded to, groups of gay men certainly know how to ghetto themselves when they want to lol, so maybe that difference doesnt even matter?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
actually fire island pines is small, isolated and exclusively gay men, wheareas palm springs is of course a city and sprawl region mixed with weekenders, concert festival goers, retirees, locals and etc. straights as well. but as you alluded to, groups of gay men certainly know how to ghetto themselves when they want to lol, so maybe that difference doesnt even matter?
True, while Palm Springs is an actual city and has a lot to offer for all walks of life, it's undoubtedly an iconic gay travel hot spot and always has been.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 5:07 PM

I thought I read somewhere that 50% of Palm Springs' population is gay.

That's pretty large!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 11:44 PM

That was fun. Didn’t realize snow capped mountains reached Palm Springs.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 12:17 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
That was fun. Didn’t realize snow capped mountains reached Palm Springs.
i know, right?

but the strangest thing was its like 30F degrees at the top of the tram ride and then 110F at the bottom — just a crazy temp difference experience like maybe no other!

oh and btw its mt san jacinto.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:33 PM

Nice photos! I have grown to really love Palm Springs. It feels like the perfect little weekend get away from LA. I love when you start to descend in elevation as you go through the mountain pass and see all the windmills, and you feel like you've left LA behind are entering a new world. I also enjoy the gay culture, mid-century modern architecture, the strong, warm breeze at night in the summer...just a lovely place to spend a few days. No way I could live there, though.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:32 PM
Great White Norf

Great photos! Looks like a fun city... besides ingesting the desert sands into your lungs of course

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

Wonderful thread, this is my favorite image in it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos