HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 3:17 PM

Anchorage, AK: Sky Harbor Estates

Sky Harbor Estates is a small residential neighborhood in Anchorage, comprised of about 20 houses. The modern subdivision is less then 9 miles south-southeast of Downtown Anchorage, east of Alaska Route 1 between Huffman Road and O'Malley Road.

What makes Sky Harbor Estates unique amongst suburban neighborhoods is that most of the houses in the neighborhood have airplane hangars built into houses or next to houses, much like many houses in subdivisions around the United States have garages attached to the houses or on the property. These houses have airplane hangars because the neighborhood has a small private runway.

The private runway is Sky Harbor Airport, which goes by the airport code 9AK5. It is little more than an unmarked gravel strip. Ignorant drivers new to the area could mistake the runway as a street or driveway. The little airport was activated in 1962. Most houses in the neighborhood have access to the runway from the front door, and residents can taxi the short distance from their hangar at their house to the runway.

A house on Cange Street.

A house and airplane hangar on 112th Avenue.

A house and hangar facing Cange Street. The gravel airstrip is in the foreground.

Houses on Barr Road.

A house and hangar on Barr Road.

A house with its plane parked outside, on Barr Road.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 9:28 PM
not cleavefied

well, I can say i've seen it now.

thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:17 AM

I like the second house the best, is it unusual for having a flat roof in this climate?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
I like the second house the best, is it unusual for having a flat roof in this climate?
I don't think it's too unusual. Anchorage has a lot of architecture that you would find in the lower 48 states. It doesn't get a massive amount of snow just because it's in Alaska. I think it's just snowy into April because the sun practically disappears in the winter, so nothing really melts until the spring.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 4:22 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Cool pics. A buddy of mine grew up in an airport/neighborhood like this, but outside Sacramento. It's a real trip to experience these kinds of places--they look both familiar and odd at the same time. Of course, Alaska's isolated nature necessitates more travel by plane than almost anywhere in the US, except maybe the Hawaiian islands. Small private aircraft are workhorses in Alaska.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I don't think it's too unusual. Anchorage has a lot of architecture that you would find in the lower 48 states. It doesn't get a massive amount of snow just because it's in Alaska. I think it's just snowy into April because the sun practically disappears in the winter, so nothing really melts until the spring.
Anchorage is due to pass 100” of snow for the season after today’s snowfall. There’s still 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. Trivia: The latest snowfall ever in Anchorage was on May 22. Also, houses are built with thicker exterior walls for insulation and thicker roof sheathing for snow loads.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Anchorage is due to pass 100” of snow for the season after today’s snowfall. There’s still 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. Trivia: The latest snowfall ever in Anchorage was on May 22. Also, houses are built with thicker exterior walls for insulation and thicker roof sheathing for snow loads.
I was not aware of that. I asked a couple people when I was around town if they got a lot of snow, and they said not really, not like other parts of Alaska or not like the mountains. They pointed out that the Iditarod sometimes didn't have enough snow for the opening on 4th Street.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
I was not aware of that. I asked a couple people when I was around town if they got a lot of snow, and they said not really, not like other parts of Alaska or not like the mountains. They pointed out that the Iditarod sometimes didn't have enough snow for the opening on 4th Street.
Some years they have actually trucked in snow to dump on the roads for the Iditarod ceremonial start.

This is from a hike yesterday in Eagle River about 35 minutes from downtown Anchorage(20 min drive/15 min walk). If you don’t watch your step, you’ll still sink in roughly 3’ of snow.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 4:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

thats a really interesting neighborhood with neighbors having planes in their garage basically and able to fly on a airstrip.

you would think that arrangement is unique, but it isnt. there is a very similar neighborhood in florida where notable hollywood movie star pilot john travolta lives that has the same setup for him and his neighbors (minus the snow!). maybe there are others too, i dk? i could see little neighborhood clusters like that with airstrips out west maybe?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Some years they have actually trucked in snow to dump on the roads for the Iditarod ceremonial start.

This is from a hike yesterday in Eagle River about 35 minutes from downtown Anchorage(20 min drive/15 min walk). If you don’t watch your step, you’ll still sink in roughly 3’ of snow.
Interesting. I was there last Memorial Day, and the weather was warm and perfect. I actually had a co-worker in San Diego to work at a swim clinic and he said it was cool and rainy. I joked that maybe they should've had this swim clinic outside in Alaska instead.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 5:39 AM

There is a similar neighborhood in Hobart Indiana called the Sky Ranch Airport.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I was there last Memorial Day, and the weather was warm and perfect. I actually had a co-worker in San Diego to work at a swim clinic and he said it was cool and rainy. I joked that maybe they should've had this swim clinic outside in Alaska instead.
There’s a joke that there’s 2 seasons here. Winter and the Fourth of July. Though in recent years Memorial Day has been warmer and more pleasant than the Fourth, which tends to be rainy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos