HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
It's hard to judge really. I remember when one museum park was completed (back when I didn't care about development) I thought it was at least top 10 tallest in the city. The impact that building has is huge, I can't imagine what another 100 feet will do.
one grant park will actually be nearly 170' taller than one museum park.

893' vs. 726'

and one grant park actually will break through into the top 10 tallest in the city (8th or 9th depending on vista), provided that nothing else taller is built in the meantime.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 5, 2017 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:38 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
one grant park will actually be nearly 170' taller than one museum park.

893' vs. 726'

and one grant park actually will break through into the top 10 tallest in the city (9th place), provided that nothing else taller is built in the meantime.
I meant when one museum park was first completed (pappageorge building). I thought it was in the top 10 tallest.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
I meant when one museum park was first completed (pappageorge building). I thought it was in the top 10 tallest.
i understood you. OMP was the 16th tallest in the city when it was completed in '09, but you thought it was taller than it was because of its location.

i was just pointing how much taller OGP will be than OMP, and that, at 893' tall, it actually will be among the city's top 10 when it's completed in 2019.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
There's something about this project that's gotten my attention. Yeah I'm watching Wanda and OBP too, but with OGP, we're putting a tower the height of Chicago First National south of Roosevelt. I remember back in 2004 or 2005 when they were talking about the south wall buildings being 400'-500'.

It's been making me wonder... Which tower do you all think will have the overall greater impact on the skyline, One Grant Park or Vista? They're in two separate parts of the skyline with a 300' height difference between them similar to Sears and Hancock, but which one will make the greater impression?
If we are talking about the skyline in terms of media Vista will have a greater impact for sure. I believe the most common places to take photos of the skyline are around Adler Planetarium and up at North Ave. beach. Vista will be prominent from both locations. OGP will not be visible from North Ave. beach and will be mostly blocked by OMP when it's not cropped out entirely from Adler.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:43 PM

Vista should look pretty good from Michigan Ave/River too!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Vista should look pretty good from Michigan Ave/River too!
Yeah i think from the River it's gonna be like where are the flying cars to complement it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Yeah i think from the River it's gonna be like where are the flying cars to complement it.
Right here!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:57 PM

Can't wait till someone flies a drone with video straight through Vista! of course such would be illegal and i do not condone it. msg me if you do it though!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:13 PM

Would it be illegal though? There will be a public street passing through the building. I don't see why someone, with the proper licenses, couldn't do laps over the building and down again and back through the hole with a drone...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Would it be illegal though? There will be a public street passing through the building. I don't see why someone, with the proper licenses, couldn't do laps over the building and down again and back through the hole with a drone...
It's kind of a gray area. Aircraft can legally fly over your property, but at great height. The real question is how low can they fly? The current legal standard comes from a case many decades ago in which a crop duster flew over some farmer's property so low that it scared his chickens to actual death. The Supreme Court ruled that there is definitely such a thing as too low - the pilot had to pay the farmer for his dead chickens - but didn't specify an actual number. There are currently a number of court cases out there dealing with drones on private property, so in a few years we may know the answer.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:57 PM

It may not be illegal now...but it would be soon after someone did that!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
It's kind of a gray area. Aircraft can legally fly over your property, but at great height. The real question is how low can they fly? The current legal standard comes from a case many decades ago in which a crop duster flew over some farmer's property so low that it scared his chickens to actual death. The Supreme Court ruled that there is definitely such a thing as too low - the pilot had to pay the farmer for his dead chickens - but didn't specify an actual number. There are currently a number of court cases out there dealing with drones on private property, so in a few years we may know the answer.
I love property law. It's such quirky way to learn American history.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 10:09 PM
Chicago

January 6, 2017

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:50 AM

01/09/17

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:13 PM

Nice set BVic ^^

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
It's been making me wonder... Which tower do you all think will have the overall greater impact on the skyline, One Grant Park or Vista? They're in two separate parts of the skyline with a 300' height difference between them similar to Sears and Hancock, but which one will make the greater impression?
Overall it might be OGP. From too many angles Vista will form a clump with Trump and Aon (or whatever it's called now). It'll be an impressive clump, but Vista won't be forming a new peak for those sightlines.

Unfortunately OGP will also hide behind Sears for anyone approaching from the N/NW. But coming in from W to S, then it will be OGP having a large impact and overshadowing buildings further north.

Tiebreaker to OGP for forming a new peak with no equal until 311 S Wacker.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:07 PM
Windy City Dan

I'd love to see some images of this building from the SW, to me, the terraces it makes are going to be killer. I like the sheer verticality of the north face, but IMHO i think the south side of the building will be pretty awesome. I kinda wish the orientation of this building was 180 degrees, so those setbacks you see at (roughly) floors 23, 32 and 42 on the south were facing the park.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:16 PM

Sweet pics Bvic and solar. Up close and personal. at least it's warming up for those workers.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I kinda wish the orientation of this building was 180 degrees, so those setbacks you see at (roughly) floors 23, 32 and 42 on the south were facing the park.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I'd love to see some images of this building from the SW, to me, the terraces it makes are going to be killer. I like the sheer verticality of the north face, but IMHO i think the south side of the building will be pretty awesome. I kinda wish the orientation of this building was 180 degrees, so those setbacks you see at (roughly) floors 23, 32 and 42 on the south were facing the park.
As a buyer I would much prefer my terrace to get full sun all the time than to have a shadowy terrace facing the park. This building is well designed to take advantage of its site and maximize value for the developer and occupants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive