HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:47 PM

^Yes.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:59 PM

March 3

They tore down all the trees and the side walk coverings are going up. Moving pretty quickly.

3 projects in this pic. From left to right - Optima phase II, 545 M McClurg, One Bennett
Park

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Btw, is that block bounded by Huron, Fairbanks, Erie and McClurg supposed to remain green space of some sort, or is Northwestern just waiting to have something to build on it? It would be great if downtown Chicago had more small parks. That's what I'd prefer for the USPS facility in River North as well (along with a lot of other redevelopment in that area.
I asked that question on this forum recently. The entire block has been empty since a Veteran's Hospital located there was torn down in 2008. Northwestern is just sitting on the land, in case they need it for future expansion. They apparently plan to leave it looking like an abandoned, blighted eyesore until then -- presumably many years away. Apparently it used to look even worse until a neighborhood group forced Northwestern into planting some grass and putting up a decent fence.

Here's the previous discussion:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...32#post7336432

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy312 View Post
3 projects in this pic. From left to right - Optima phase II, 545 M McClurg, One Bennett
Park

Great photos, thanks. 545 N. McClurg is making great progress.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 10:06 PM

nobody loves every corner of steeterville but it sure is a huge change in 20 years or less

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 10:30 PM

crains

One Bennett Park in Streeterville takes its design cues from the Art Deco Palmolive Building http://bit.ly/1WZXoxJ

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy312 View Post
March 3

Park

Could potentially be 4 projects in the pic. 465 North Park also. Heard rumblings about a 2016 start. Anyone know for sure what the status is?

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...-sky-fix-park/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
crains

One Bennett Park in Streeterville takes its design cues from the Art Deco Palmolive Building http://bit.ly/1WZXoxJ
Lol...

M'kay.

Had I been drinking something while reading that, it would have shot through my nose.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 11:38 PM
you know where I'll be

^ My lord. That takes some fucking balls and/or lack of brains.

Stern and his slimy sack of shills have no shame.....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ My lord. That takes some fucking balls and/or lack of brains.

Stern and his slimy sack of shills have no shame.....
Lighten up Francis.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 4:59 PM

Look at that dull as dishwater streetscape and skyline. Pure filler and worse, and people here actually think this new building is lowering the tone. It's already below the barrel.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Look at that dull as dishwater streetscape and skyline. Pure filler and worse, and people here actually think this new building is lowering the tone. It's already below the barrel.
Streeterville is pretty dull but it's not because of the architecture itself IMO. It's because of how a lot (but not all) of the commercial/retail space is divided up. SLOWLY getting better by adding more legitimate businesses there, but it's slow. One of my least favorite parts of town is Streeterville, at least a little west of Michigan Ave. Having Northwestern Medical there doesn't help, though they've maybe done a better job than they've been given credit for, for actually having businesses there for the neighborhood (recently Stan's Donuts and Green River, and its new secondary bar, are great additions).

As far as this tower - the top is cool. The rest of the tower is pretty bland. It reminds me of a lot of towers in NYC - cool top, aged and the rest of the tower did not age well and it doesn't look great. The difference is though that in NYC with some of those towers, you get good street level space but this one will not have it. Thumbs way down on that.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post

Speaking of Stern Shills......right on cue, as expected.....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 9:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The difference is though that in NYC with some of those towers, you get good street level space but this one will not have it. Thumbs way down on that.
The difference is also that nyc towers like this are thinner. The width on this one is just plain obese, as evidenced by that photoshopped skyline view from the planetarium. The outcome is startling.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Speaking of Stern Shills......right on cue, as expected.....
Ad hominem, the typical fallback.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 11:18 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Streeterville is pretty dull but it's not because of the architecture itself IMO.
I think most of the architecture of Streeterville is very bland and sterile. A touch of art deco, even if it's not authentic or done very well will be an improvement.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I think most of the architecture of Streeterville is very bland and sterile. A touch of art deco, even if it's not authentic or done very well will be an improvement.
I think what is bland is the street level part of it. I'm not a fan of streeterville and I like some modern towers, but the street level is a bunch of blech.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
God, this entire block is a waste of opportunity and potential. Such a shame.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
The difference is also that nyc towers like this are thinner. The width on this one is just plain obese, as evidenced by that photoshopped skyline view from the planetarium. The outcome is startling.
Not always - at least some of the newer towers in NYC, but it's moot for what I'm getting at. i'm getting at the street level planning. NYC does a way better job of making spaces get gobbled up for commercial/retail. In areas like Streeterville and part of River North, the spaces are way too big and nobody wants to pay for it, so they sit vacant for way longer than NYC. Not to mention that 4 spaces are better for the community if they're taken up than 1 big space, at least in my view.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Not always - at least some of the newer towers in NYC, but it's moot for what I'm getting at. i'm getting at the street level planning. NYC does a way better job of making spaces get gobbled up for commercial/retail. In areas like Streeterville and part of River North, the spaces are way too big and nobody wants to pay for it, so they sit vacant for way longer than NYC. Not to mention that 4 spaces are better for the community if they're taken up than 1 big space, at least in my view.
Purely based upon the location of this tower having retail at the base would be nonsense.That being said Streeterville has terrible street level planning for a number or reasons I wouldn't say that the size of the spaces is really a big factor though. If you're going to compare an NYC neighborhood to streeterville or river north I think you would do better to think about common modes of transportation rather than the size of available spaces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive