HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 3:44 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_Zach View Post
With all due respect to HarryC, the light being cast from the west would be late light of dusk, not the early light of dawn!

New poster here. I am also in the camp that holds appreciation for this building. It adds a fresh look to the beautiful and historic cluster.

The angle in that Jan 7 photo looks to be from the middle of NB Michigan Ave. My guess is if you move onto the sidewalk, C&C will appear perfectly centered between 333 and 300 N Mich.
It's funny, even without thinking about east or west, I saw that pic and immediately thought "morning".

I've gotten so used to seeing where the sunlight falls on Chicago's skyline and being able to instantly know whether it is morning or evening, without having to even think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 5:04 PM
Houston:Considered Good

I would have wanted a more elaborate design but good for Chicago to get a new development!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 5:41 PM

Its pretty plain looking, could have added at least some embellishment at the top.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:27 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Now it is left to be seen if the low-rise buildings south of London House will make way for a building that equals 300 N.Michigan or will be the last possibility to break through that cluster and distinguish itself. I wonder when those low-rise buildings will give way. Granted it's a small parcel.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
welcome to the forum, but lol. fresh look? are you aware of BMO, BofA, WPE, WPS, OCS, Essex on the Park, 151 N Franklin, etc.? Right behind it are Vista and Aqua, which look like glass rectangles from many skyline angles.
i think many us who survived the trauma of the "river north beige" attack back in the '00s are still a bit too shell-shocked from the unrelenting onslaught of all of those monumentally ugly vertical turds to get too worked up about yet another glass box.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:40 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Now it is left to be seen if the low-rise buildings south of London House will make way for a building that equals 300 N.Michigan or will be the last possibility to break through that cluster and distinguish itself. I wonder when those low-rise buildings will give way. Granted it's a small parcel.
That would be a pretty tight space to work in. Those parcels are irregularly shaped lots and would need to be set back from 320 S Michigan due to city fire code with the building's north facing windows. I don't think any development there could realistically be all that tall. And honestly, I wouldn't want something monolithic to be so close to the London Guarantee Building and overshadow it.

The best potential redevelopment plots in the immediate area would be the Seventeenth Church of Christ Scientist, which is not going anywhere anytime soon, or maybe the Hotel Monaco site on Wabash and Wacker, which currently occupies more than half the block when you include the garage entrance.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:46 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i think many us who survived the trauma of the "river north beige" attack back in the '00s are still a bit too shell-shocked from the unrelenting onslaught of all of those monumentally ugly vertical turds to get too worked up about yet another glass box.
Yes, exactly! This is why I can't identify with all the "blue box" hate in many of the Chicago threads. Could these buildings be a bit more detailed and nuanced? Sure, absolutely. But they could also be much, much worse. I remember getting excited for crap like 1 Superior Place because... we had quite literally *nothing* else to even compare that too in terms of new development at the time. I remember really liking Millennium Center back in 2002 because it was reddish beige instead of regular beige

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I remember really liking Millennium Center back in 2002 because it was reddish beige instead of regular beige
Loved that gross fleshy color. It was very 1970s Miami.
They've since repainted it normal beige.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 10:48 PM

March 3

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 11:55 PM

Good mixture of old and new. Also think it plays nicely with Aqua and Vista and don't get all the hate!

to each their own.....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Good mixture of old and new. Also think it plays nicely with Aqua and Vista and don't get all the hate!

to each their own.....
Agreed. Everything on the internet draws criticism.

This is pretty good and maybe just a little shy of great. It fills in the corner of the block, it has good height, there are some interesting details at ground level, it activates that intersection with more retail, it plays well with the neighbors, and it doesn't even block the Carbon and Carbide Building from most angles. I bet the views are fantastic, too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Agreed. Everything on the internet draws criticism.

This is pretty good and maybe just a little shy of great. It fills in the corner of the block, it has good height, there are some interesting details at ground level, it activates that intersection with more retail, it plays well with the neighbors, and it doesn't even block the Carbon and Carbide Building from most angles. I bet the views are fantastic, too.
I agree. The biggest loss is the Carbide building view from Michigan Ave and so that is very unfortunate. However nothing lasts forever in an evolving city.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 10:35 PM

the top of the building is so boring. i wish it had a crown top similar to the paragon further south on michigan ave.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 3:06 AM

it is a turd. should have set it back more from Michigan Ave, and really needs some sort of variance at the top. Just another blue obelisk.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
it is a turd. should have set it back more from Michigan Ave, and really needs some sort of variance at the top. Just another blue obelisk.
"Obelisk"? You wish. God that would have been so much better than this hulking hunk of nothingness.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 12:09 PM

I get that it's not perfect, but it's certainly better than what was there before and it brings more people/traffic to an area trying to make a covid comeback.

Sometimes I peruse the forums of the cities I used to live in (Houston being one of them) and they would kill to have a development half as big as this one, in a prominent location none the less. I guess the bar is just that much higher in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
I get that it's not perfect, but it's certainly better than what was there before and it brings more people/traffic to an area trying to make a covid comeback.

Sometimes I peruse the forums of the cities I used to live in (Houston being one of them) and they would kill to have a development half as big as this one, in a prominent location none the less. I guess the bar is just that much higher in Chicago.
Yeah I don't think people know how good we got it here. In any city besides obviously New York...Austin...Seattle, this would be a big deal. But to us this is basically infill. This used to be some underutilized 3 story brick building, not its a glass tower with tons of retail on our signature street, a new boutiuqe hotel brand coming to chicago, and apartments.

yeah the design could be better and i defintely agree they should've added something to the top, but for a city like Atlanta, Denver, or Boston, this would be one of the most anticipated projects.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
as i posted on the previous page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

i think anyone calling this project "a turd" is either too young to remember the '00s or wasn't paying attention back then.

this project is by no means a masterpiece, but it's adequate-enough background filler, not some unmitigated disaster of design.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 5:30 PM

I am not that young and all I have to say is turds come in many shapes and sizes. While yes this is nothing as bad as river north beige I still dont like it for blocking the view of my favorite building from the river and I also think they should have some variance at the top of some sort. Neither of which would have cost a ton. But it is what it is. At least like is pointed out it's good a t street level.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Yeah I don't think people know how good we got it here. In any city besides obviously New York...Austin...Seattle, this would be a big deal. But to us this is basically infill. This used to be some underutilized 3 story brick building, not its a glass tower with tons of retail on our signature street, a new boutiuqe hotel brand coming to chicago, and apartments.

yeah the design could be better and i defintely agree they should've added something to the top, but for a city like Atlanta, Denver, or Boston, this would be one of the most anticipated projects.
I don't think the only options were "crappy underutilized 3 story brick building" or "crappy identikit box." I think the site could have been reserved for something special and I suspect few people in Denver, Atlanta or Boston think this is special in any way. At best, they would bemoan it as the kind of blah filler they (and we) have become inured to. As an aside, Citizen M is hardly boutique (they're fine for what they are--mid-range accommodations with some flair) but that's beside the point: good to have Citizen M here but, hey, it could have been in a nice building. I think the best that could be said about this stump is that its location next to C&C offers such a stark contrast to an era when beauty and craftsmanship mattered.

It seems like "it beats having a parking lot" is a common rationale for mediocrity around here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive