HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 11:23 PM

I didn't get a chance to take any photos because it was almost dark but Amtrak's contractors are really hustling with the Portal bridge replacement. Track is already being installed in some portions of the bridge.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:47 AM
Lahaina Strong

Much to my surprise, Amtrak granted my FOIA request for the "Technical Specifications" portion of the Amtrak LD RFP. It is my understanding that once a FOIA request is granted that information becomes public. I have shared the full documents on the amtraktrains.com LD fleet replacement thread.

Amtrak is really asking for a crazy level of detail here. They are specifying everything from the type of locks on doors to the grade of steel the carbodies are to be made of. This bidding process will definitely take a while.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:53 AM
Show me the blueprints

Thanks for posting that

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:51 PM

VTrans begins preliminary consideration for Amtrak expansion

By Melissa Cooney
Published: Mar. 12, 2024
By WCAX

"BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) - Vermont is on track to receive federal funding as the state considers an Amtrak expansion.

A million dollars could be the ticket to the Ethan Allen Express adding stops in Manchester and Bennington. The Vermont Agency of Transportation says this plan is in the very early stages and this initial funding is to study how expansion could happen.

Town leaders in the impacted areas say it would be a win for their communities..."

https://www.wcax.com/2024/03/12/vtra...rak-expansion/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
VTrans begins preliminary consideration for Amtrak expansion

By Melissa Cooney
Published: Mar. 12, 2024
By WCAX

"BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) - Vermont is on track to receive federal funding as the state considers an Amtrak expansion.

A million dollars could be the ticket to the Ethan Allen Express adding stops in Manchester and Bennington. The Vermont Agency of Transportation says this plan is in the very early stages and this initial funding is to study how expansion could happen.

Town leaders in the impacted areas say it would be a win for their communities..."

https://www.wcax.com/2024/03/12/vtra...rak-expansion/
I think having half the trips take the southern route and half take the northern route would be an excellent strategy.

Combine that with a dedicated Bennington to St. Albans commuter line and you'd have an excellent system.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:15 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
I think having half the trips take the southern route and half take the northern route would be an excellent strategy.

Combine that with a dedicated Bennington to St. Albans commuter line and you'd have an excellent system.
It was a service called the Green Mountain Flyer , there was another service that went to Boston via the Northern Tier which just wrapped up its study. I would bring back the Green Mountain Flyer and Ambassador service to Boston from Montreal , running both a few times per day. I would terminate the Vermonter in Burlington and run the Ethan Allen a few times per day down to Albany. I would build a new Albany station at the Junction of the line that heads up to Southern Vermont at the Central Warehouse site.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It was a service called the Green Mountain Flyer , there was another service that went to Boston via the Northern Tier which just wrapped up its study. I would bring back the Green Mountain Flyer and Ambassador service to Boston from Montreal , running both a few times per day. I would terminate the Vermonter in Burlington and run the Ethan Allen a few times per day down to Albany. I would build a new Albany station at the Junction of the line that heads up to Southern Vermont at the Central Warehouse site.
I think this proposed Albany-Colonie station would be a better second Albany Station

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:55 PM

Quote:
I think this proposed Albany-Colonie station would be a better second Albany Station
It needs to be in Downtown , I think there should be a regional rail service from Albany to Saratoga Springs with a few infill stations added.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:27 PM

Quote:

There was a proposal a few years back for commuter rail from Saint Albans - Burlington - Montpelier. I would have liked to have the opportunity to take that skiing when I went to school at UVM. This would have been, by far, the smallest metropolitan area with commuter rail.

https://vtrans.vermont.gov/sites/aot...on%20Draft.pdf

https://www.samessenger.com/news/stu...b5b8381d1.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
There was a proposal a few years back for commuter rail from Saint Albans - Burlington - Montpelier. I would have liked to have the opportunity to take that skiing when I went to school at UVM. This would have been, by far, the smallest metropolitan area with commuter rail.

https://vtrans.vermont.gov/sites/aot...on%20Draft.pdf

https://www.samessenger.com/news/stu...b5b8381d1.html
They had a short lived commuter rail called Champlain Flyer. I would bring back that route and extend it to Montpelier as an hourly bi-directional regional rail service.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 7:54 AM

Washington Union Station

Station Approach

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Washington Union Station
I know I'm not completely alone in this, as I've seen some similar sentiments on the Washington DC subreddit. But I'm mostly opposed to the massive construction project they have planned for Washington Union Station. It's obviously wanted because of the undersized Amtrak concourse but I'd much much rather see the retail removed from the original concourse and seating restored in the grand hall. I was hoping this was Amtrak's desire as well in pursuing the eviction of the Union Station lease holder, but I'm not entirely sure that was the case. I've seen hints that Amtrak intended to support the new construction project even if the eviction went through. I hate that we've taken a perfectly good train station and reduced it to a mall and event space while we're forced to spend billions in to build another train station. The only rationale for the project would be the lack of retain space if the historic concourse was restored.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice1828 View Post
I know I'm not completely alone in this, as I've seen some similar sentiments on the Washington DC subreddit. But I'm mostly opposed to the massive construction project they have planned for Washington Union Station. It's obviously wanted because of the undersized Amtrak concourse but I'd much much rather see the retail removed from the original concourse and seating restored in the grand hall. I was hoping this was Amtrak's desire as well in pursuing the eviction of the Union Station lease holder, but I'm not entirely sure that was the case. I've seen hints that Amtrak intended to support the new construction project even if the eviction went through. I hate that we've taken a perfectly good train station and reduced it to a mall and event space while we're forced to spend billions in to build another train station. The only rationale for the project would be the lack of retain space if the historic concourse was restored.
The Station project will expand Union Stations capacity and upgrade the neglected lower level in addition to a proper Bus terminal with a brand-new concourse to connect everything. The old areas are too far from departure areas but should be utilized better.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:50 PM

Does Union Station (DC) have current capacity issues? They have a very large platform area, and very limited commuter rail. MARC and VRE don't really run that many trains. Is the issue more on the concourse side, which, yeah, doesn't seem particularly big?

Just looking at Wikipedia, they appear to have more tracks than any station in the Amtrak system. Grand Central has many times more, but obviously not Amtrak. Penn has fewer despite many times more traffic. Even discounting LIRR and NJT (which are more than 90% of Penn traffic) Amtrak alone at Penn has more than twice the traffic of Union Station.

Amtrak will double train service between NY and DC, so I guess the concourse on the DC end would need to be bigger. And trains will have somewhat higher capacity, so overall passenger counts will more than double. I take Acela between NY-DC once or twice a year, and haven't noticed any major crowding issues on the DC end, but it would be likely in the coming years.

And yeah, as others have mentioned, DC Union is kinda weird. The renovation was glorious, but it isn't really a train station. The tacked-on concourse is inadequate, and they should have renovated the original building to be a train station. Since the mall largely failed, you have this incredible space that is super-underutilized, and the obvious use is the original, intended use.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation