HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Does the community board have any say in anything? I hope not because I like this building how it is.

Not really, more like recommendations. However, the article Community Board calls for redesign of One Vanderbilt that chris08876 posted above strikes cautious note at the end

Quote:
The project’s next ULURP hurdle is Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, who won’t get to vote on it — that’s up to the City Council — but whose views may carry great weight with some councilmembers.

It remains to be seen whether she will appreciate the benefits One Vanderbilt would bring to one of Manhattan’s most iconic, but crowd-strained, locations — or yield to community board activists who could delay the project long enough to kill it.
All in all though, does not seem likely they will get any further significant concessions or thwart the project!

Last edited by sparkling; Dec 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 11:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Oh boy...

http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com...man-books.html

Posman Books
VANISHING

Jeremiah Moss
December 23, 2014

Quote:
As you've likely heard by now, the Posman's bookstore in Grand Central Terminal has been denied a lease renewal by their landlord, the MTA. With no negotiations or help, December 31 remains their final day.

I sent our petition, with its nearly 2,500 signatures, to the MTA representative, but have not heard back. So go to Posman's before the new year and say your goodbyes to yet another small shop in the city.

On a recent evening, business was booming. You can barely get inside the door. But that doesn't matter. Our small shops can be successful, and still they get the boot in today's New York.

A customer approached the register with her books and said to the cashier, "I'm so glad you're still in business. I never buy from Amazon."

The cashier broke the news, "Actually, we're going out of business," and she explained the situation, how the MTA is denying them a new lease to make room for a new luxury skyscraper.

The customer began to wail, "No, no, no, no!" I've witnessed this scene so many times. The shock, the denial, the clutching at the heart. Living in this city today, if you love it, is one big funeral.

I asked employee, long-time bookstore guy, and poet Ron Kolm how customers have reacted to the closure of Posman's. He told me:

"The response has been amazing. The general feeling in the store has surprised me. I always liked our customers, and we definitely have a number of regulars, but I figured that most of the people who shopped there were just passing through; we get tons of tourists. But in the past weeks it's become clear that Posman Books is part of a community.

Almost every other customer tells us how much we mean to them, how they stop in before getting their train home from work, or to keep up with what's being published, or just to relax. They are so serious in their commiserating, if that's the right word. They're solicitous about our futures, and wonder what they can do to reverse something they see as being awful.

There are more comments on the blog...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 12:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

O the humanity!

The skyscrapers are coming!

This comment is interesting:

Quote:
A train station without a book store is unthinkable ,especially one as busy as this.And yet......

DECEMBER 23, 2014 AT 7:46 PM
Gojira said...
Welcome to the New New York, where all that matters is the tourist dollar, the rights of developers to raze the city, the ability of wolf packs drunken students to wreak havoc on residential neighborhoods, and the determination of politicians to sell us out to whoever stuffs the most money into their re-election campaign chests.

Despite all of that, Jeremiah, I want to wish you and yours a merry Christmas, a happy New Year, and a steely resolve to continue cataloguing the diminution of the city in 2015.
They think that development = World War Z and the coming of the anti-christ

In this scenario, the zombies are the drunken students that pillage and rape every single night.

This must be an American problem. Only in this country would you have people who are against making cities better. They chose to live in the past, and preserve their own views, and keep the city as a museum; lost in time when it should be moving forward.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 1:07 AM
don't *meddle*...

Reading one of those comments makes you stupid. I could literally feel losing some brain cells ...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 1:22 AM

Didn't you know, sheeple? Banksters are building luxury office towers from which they will laugh at all the New Yorkers, subjected not to development or tourism or foreign students for as long as New York has been an international city. The illumaniti are coming; welcome your new lizard gods as they build tall towers in midtown Manhattan. The rapture is upon us.

#eattherich #nodevelopment #skyscrapeswillkillusall #GailBrewer #99vs1percent #luxuryofficetowers #foreignmoney #freemasons #911wasaninsdejob

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 1:33 AM

Its the obligatory last ditch attempt petition to save the one small store that could derail the billion dollar project, with little hope of actually making an impact on the situation.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 2:36 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
#eattherich #nodevelopment #skyscraperswillkillusall #GailBrewer #99vs1percent #luxuryofficetowers #foreignmoney #freemasons #911wasaninsdejob
Love it!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:19 AM

Why can't the bookstore move? First floor retail is still a thing. There's no retail vacancy in midtown? Anywhere?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 7:02 AM
Meh

Wow those are pretty bad. It's almost as if a few nimby Austinites went to New York. That tourism comment is almost exactly like what someone said here about the big festivals. And the anti-skyscraper sentiment. The idea of nimbys in New York is a little insane. I mean, I'm sure New York has them. Some of those comments make it seem New York is some small town somewhere. Is New York not big enough for them to offer other options once those businesses move/close?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:58 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, whey they didn't even try for a new location is questionable. Look at what happened with all the noise at the Rizzoli Bookstore on 57th. They are moving to a beautiful new location. If they are concerned with just being a commuter bookstore, Penn Station will be leasing, even the Port Authority bus terminal is leasing space now. The employees are painting the picture that they are being forced to close, and that's not entirely accurate.

Quote:
The cashier broke the news, "Actually, we're going out of business," and she explained the situation, how the MTA is denying them a new lease to make room for a new luxury skyscraper.

The customer began to wail, "No, no, no, no!" I've witnessed this scene so many times. The shock, the denial, the clutching at the heart. Living in this city today, if you love it, is one big funeral.

Somehow, the impression that every new skyscraper is a "luxury" tower has taken over the discussion of new buildings on the skyline. I've noticed this when you read articles on the changing skyline. However, they neglect all of the new office development - 30 Hudson, Manhatan West, new Hudson Yards towers, all of which will alter the skyline. Even the WTC contributes to this.

Meanwhile, the people who should know better than anybody, the community boards, seem to be out of step with reality as well. They are somehow concerned that there will be a canyon effect created by the new towers in midtown east. You have to wonder if they've ever been outside.

There is one thing though, that I can understand their concern about. And that is the location of the transit hall. There is a massive pedestrian wave that flows through Manhattan through rush hours towards the transit centers (Penn Station, Grand Central, Port Authority, PATH terminals, etc). The CB is concerned that the new "extension" is on Vanderbilt facing Grand Central itself, and not on the western side. Understanding that "flow", you can see how it could be an issue.

The problem is, with the design as it is - the tower "opens up" towards Grand Central, making the large open spaces possible on that side of the tower. All that would be needed to remedy the situation though is access or a walkway connecting the extension to Madison Avenue for a direct connection from the west or north.

The only way I can see that happening though is if it were built beneath the lobby. I think the TD Bank branch will be on the northwestern side of Madison.

Direct connections to both the current and new terminals...

Though only advisory, here's a look at the two resolutions from the community board...

http://www.cb5.org/cb5/resolutions/d...permits_sought

Quote:
Resolution on Special Permits Sought by Green 317 Madison, LLC for One Vanderbilt

At the monthly meeting of Community Board Five on Thursday, December 11, 2014, the Board passed the following resolution with a vote of 33 in favor, 0 opposed, 1abstaining:

WHEREAS, Green 317 Madison, LLC seeks a special permit to transfer development rights from a landmark building to facilitate construction of an approximately 1.3 million SF mixed-use development called One Vanderbilt between 42nd and 43rd Streets, and Madison and Vanderbilt Avenues; and

WHEREAS, Unlike on corridor parcels not fronting 42nd Street, we believe there may be circumstances under which a building on this site might reasonably justify an allowable 30 FAR; and

WHEREAS, Regarding One Vanderbilt, we continue to have areas of concern:

.....further, the proposed office building lobby dominates and privatizes, along the marginal Transit Hall, almost the entire Vanderbilt Avenue frontage;

we are concerned that the proposed Transit Hall (which should have included seating and public restrooms) at Vanderbilt and 43rd is not optimally located to provide connectivity for passengers to and from the West Side, and propose an entrance hall at Madison and 42nd as well as a B2 level connection from East Side Access to NYC Transit at 42nd and Vanderbilt; and

we believe that the requirements of the Special Midtown District for through-block access to the lobby should be maintained; and

we take note that with the entire site to be excavated, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to find solutions that will best serve the public at this dense and vital crossroads; and

.....While the Applicant has committed to construct a LEED v4 Certified Gold building, only the highest level of sustainability is acceptable if the goal, as stated, is to keep East Midtown as the premier business district; therefore, the Applicant must commit to a LEED v4 Certified Platinum building which will be designed to perform 30 percent better than ASHRAE 90.1, 2010; and

The proposed building lobby should publicly display a comprehensive building water usage and energy performance dashboard showing where and how energy and water is continuously being conserved; and

We are concerned that the requested modifications to the Special Midtown District Height and Setback regulations (Daylight Compensation and Daylight Evaluation) are excessive, radically lowering daylight levels in Midtown to pre-1916 pre-zoning daylight levels (Daylight Evaluation score is negative 62 % v. 75 % of the sky left open); this reduction in daylight is not adequately addressed by either DCP or the DEIS; and the magnitude of the reduction in daylight will set a precedent for future development in Vanderbilt Corridor and East Midtown

WHEREAS, We praise the Applicant for taking Community Board Five and Six's concerns regarding the harmoniousness of their proposed building with Grand Central Terminal into account and for attempting to resolve them by revising the design, the specific concerns raised by the proposed building's asymmetrical façade, use of glass and cacophonous base have not been alleviated;

RESOLVED, Manhattan Community Boards Five and Six recommend denial of the C 150128 ZSM, C 150129 ZSM and C 150130 ZSM special permits unless the following conditions are met:

1. The development will be LEED v4 Certified Platinum; and

2. A major public space is created at street and concourse level, through or adjacent to and connecting with the main lobby of One Vanderbilt, and connecting the corner of Madison Avenue and 42 Street and the main concourse of Grand Central

http://www.cb5.org/cb5/resolutions/d...g_text_changes

Quote:
Resolution on Zoning Text Changes Sought by the Department of City Planning for the Vanderbilt Corridor

At the monthly meeting of Community Board Five on Thursday, December 11, 2014, the Board passed the following resolution with a vote of 33 in favor, 0 opposed, 1 abstaining:

WHEREAS, The Department of City Planning (DCP) seeks to rezone a five block area bordered by Vanderbilt and Madison Avenues and 42nd and 47th Streets

WHEREAS, An additional goal of the proposed Vanderbilt Corridor is to improve pedestrian circulation and access to transit, including East Side Access; the Vanderbilt Corridor would be located above the future concourse of the Long Island Rail Road, which will be 50 feet below the buildings on the west side of Vanderbilt Avenue; and

WHEREAS, CB5 and CB6 agree that these parcels between Vanderbilt and Madison should be examined and the goal of reinvigorating the area around Grand Central Terminal is necessary and worthy;

.....WHEREAS, A compelling case has not been made for separating out the entire five blocks of the Vanderbilt Corridor from the review of the greater East Midtown area; and

WHEREAS, In the Vanderbilt Corridor, we propose the following:

FAR Bonus Size
We are concerned that the criteria for granting of the special permit for a Grand Central Public Realm Bonus (GCPRB) of up to 15 FAR is undefined unlike, for example, what is required for a Covered Pedestrian Space and that there must be more specific design guidelines; and

WHEREAS, Vanderbilt Avenue is considerably narrower than Madison Avenue and the intersecting side streets, we are deeply concerned about the "canyon effect" if a series of 30 FAR buildings were to be permitted along the Vanderbilt Corridor, which, other than at 42nd Street, front on only one wide street and we are also concerned what effect such a canyon of 30 FAR buildings will have as it relates to environmental concerns not only at the Corridor but in the greater midtown area;

.....in the "worst-case" scenario, development of the Vanderbilt Corridor would cast substantial shadows on a number of sunlight-sensitive historic resources, including the landmarked Bryant Park and the New York Public Library; and in the "worst-case" scenario, the landmarked Chrysler Building, when considered a visual resource, would be negatively impacted by new buildings that would essentially screen it from many vantage points on the skyline

RESOLVED, Manhattan Community Boards Five and Six recommend denial of the Department of City Planning's application N 150127 ZRM

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:21 PM
Meh

It's the same here. So don't worry, it's not just New York. Of course the new apartment projects here are marketing themselves in a luxurious manner, but now everyone seems to think every apartment project is actually condos - they aren't. And the whining about losing some insignificant building to new apartments is here also. I saw a post on Facebook the other day where they were sad that an automotive garage was being torn down for new apartments. Some of them were sure that "they were forced out." Of course that wasn't the case, and someone mentioned that the owner had retired a few years ago, and the two sons chose to go into other industries. Ironically one of them chose to be a Realtor.

Anyway, of course new properties are going to market themselves in way that makes them seem luxurious - even if they aren't. No one is going to say the new property they're planning is second rate. And this isn't unique to the real estate industry either. The car industry is another example of a change in marketing strategy.

Anyway, I actually like this tower. I know some are poo pooing the top, but at least it's not flat. I actually think the building has a chance to become an icon.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 4:29 AM
DENNAB

People will complain about everything.

Although I doubt it, I hope none of the complaints affect this project in anyway. The building is great how it is and so is the location.

When would construction on this begin by the way?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:44 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Demolition begins next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Anyway, I actually like this tower. I know some are poo pooing the top, but at least it's not flat. I actually think the building has a chance to become an icon.

It will be the symbol of the new midtown east, and if done right will be an overall landmark. There's so much new competition now for the towers that will stand outright as symbols of the city,
but I think with the observation deck here, and the connection to Grand Central, this will be one in the collective consciousness of the city.

It helps that it will be away a bit from the other planned supertalls. The closest thing to that will be the planned 520 5th Avenue, a 900 footer that will pop up in the view below.
If that building gave us a spire or pointy top, it will be a sweet view indeed.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 3:41 PM
New Yorker for life

With the community board nonsense out of the way, we are nearing the homestretch...

Quote:
12/29/14 - 01/27/15
30-DAY BOROUGH PRESIDENT REVIEW PERIOD

01/28/15 - 03/30/15
60-DAY CITY PLANNING COMMISSION REVIEW PERIOD

City Council will decide fate of the proposals.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ Demolition begins next year.

It will be the symbol of the new midtown east, and if done right will be an overall landmark. There's so much new competition now for the towers that will stand outright as symbols of the city,
but I think with the observation deck here, and the connection to Grand Central, this will be one in the collective consciousness of the city.

It helps that it will be away a bit from the other planned supertalls. The closest thing to that will be the planned 520 5th Avenue, a 900 footer that will pop up in the view below.
If that building gave us a spire or pointy top, it will be a sweet view indeed.

I think this tower looks amazing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:56 PM
New Yorker for life

People are complaining about the Chrysler losing prominence, but that ship has sailed, just as it has with the Woolworth. That doesn't diminish the quality of either building though.

How a 900 footer at 520 5th could impact that view...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 8:53 PM

IMO it'd be a piece of cake to make a stunning, yet respectful partner for 500 5th.

Besides, something in the immediate area at least 900' to the roof at least will diminish the somewhat behemoth-like dimensions of 1V from that perspective.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:38 AM

I actually like that view of 1 Vanderbilt, and almost don't want to see a 900 footer built there so soon. 900 feet is nowhere near 1,500 feet, yet to some they may look a similar height from an observation deck.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 8:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Nothing new, but part of the discussion (with some pedestrian simulation)...

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:56 AM

enjoy your dominance while it lasts, Chrysler.

New York, Central Station and Chrysler Building by kazina crediza, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive