HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
Not the best picture - I took it from Indiana Avenue looking east across a parking lot. This site is in the general vicinity of the former Eastman Kodak Company plant and close to the never built X/O Condominiums site.
This development is on the site of the never built X/O condo project.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So my girlfriend's parents are in the US right now - visiting from Shanghai. They've only been to the US once before and it was to NYC, Los Angeles, Honolulu, DC, and Baltimore. This time it was San Francisco, Vegas, Chicago, and NYC.

Apparently out of all of those cities they've been to so far, they've liked Chicago the most. They were not expecting it to be so nice, clean, and modern, especially downtown. They even went as far as comparing Chicago to Shanghai in these regards and said the Gold Coast reminded them of nice areas where a lot of decently well to do foreigners live. They were really shocked at how "cheap" Chicago is even downtown for a condo and her dad asked "why the hell would anybody choose San Francisco over this? San Francisco is too small." Pretty funny. We often talk about tear downs in Chicago though, and apparently the same thing happens in Shanghai. They have an issue with a lot of old buildings being torn down and new shiny ones replacing it, according to her dad at least.

We went on a bike ride from Oak Street beach up to around Argyle. They couldn't get over how big the lake was and how much it looked like an ocean. Her mom grew up on a coastal town in NE China semi near North Korea and even she thought it wasn't a lake. She actually inquired how much condos cost along the lake in areas like Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, and Lakeview and said she wanted to live there. Considering they bought my girlfriend a $300K condo in Shanghai that they rent out to an American ex-pat, I wouldn't doubt them buying something. They were also surprised that Chicago didn't have more foreign, wealthy Chinese investment - but could understand why since the city is a lot less known than it should be. Her dad went as far as saying that maybe it's a good thing wealthy Chinese haven't arrived in Chicago like in NYC because they usually push the prices of housing way up yet never live in the places they own, screwing over housing prices in some areas. Hah..

Anyway, it's good hearing stuff like this. They barely knew anything about the city other than what she had been telling them, and about the crime. They were really surprised, though they did share with me that on some Chinese travel page in the style of a wiki, it describes Chicago: "There is a city, a perfect metropolis of urbanity, modern and cleanliness" or something like that. She has told me many times before that Chinese people go to Chicago and end up loving it. They are telling all their friends in China that they should be visiting Chicago even moreso than cities like San Francisco. They also commented on how they thought downtown seemingly had a lot of Asian people LOL.

As a side note, I took them to a NE Chinese restaurant in Bridgeport. This is pretty risky since they grew up there and live in Shanghai. My girlfriend and I had this about a month ago and she told me it's the most authentic NE Chinese restaurant she's had in the US before. Her parents liked it a lot and said it was better than most places serving the same food even in Shanghai. One dish we had they said was more authentic than anything they've ever had in Shanghai..pretty amazing huh? Her dad tried to pay the place in Renminbi too instead of USD - that was hilarious.

Everytime stuff like this happens, I just wish more and more the city had better PR.
This is out of topic, but which restaurant did you take them to?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
This is a bit extreme...
how so? i dont think a weekend is enough to form an educated opinion on any place. youre pretty much pumped full of endorphins. traveling is almost like living in a parallel reality. i certainly have done the "I can see myself living here!" thing dozens of times, without really meaning it completely seriously...everywhere from middle of nowhere West Texas, to little German towns, to big bustling metropolises. I can see the appeal each of them hold, in their own way. its fun to imagine yourself living another life. even in the shittiest of towns its easy to look past the negatives when your mind dosent have to focus on responsibilities, or needing to deal with the real life implications of the negatives. not to say people dont move places on a whim. but i mean, i was in Richmond VA last week and i would be lying if i wasnt doing the old "stare at fliers taped to the real estate office window" thing and saying hmm i wonder if i can make this work. i think the longer you stay in a given place though, the more the magic tends to wear off. at the end of the day, its just a place to call home. i wish i could say the architecture of the loop still gave me chills, but mostly im just trying to get the things done in my life that i need to do.

theres actually a phenomenon somewhat related to this called the Paris Syndrome, a city which in a way has been built up in a way far more extreme than Chicago. and the inevitable disappointment when tourists realize its just another city filled with problems and struggles just like any other.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-tourists-away

Last edited by Via Chicago; Oct 18, 2016 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey2428 View Post
This is out of topic, but which restaurant did you take them to?
Homestyle Taste in Bridgeport (I think 3205 S Halsted). First 2.5-3 pages are NE Chinese food, mainly. There's a few here and there mixed in after that but the ones after that are either from other regions of China or americanized.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
how so? i dont think a weekend is enough to form an educated opinion on any place. youre pretty much pumped full of endorphins. traveling is almost like living in a parallel reality. i certainly have done the "I can see myself living here!" thing dozens of times, without really meaning it completely seriously...everywhere from middle of nowhere West Texas, to little German towns, to big bustling metropolises. I can see the appeal each of them hold, in their own way. its fun to imagine yourself living another life. even in the shittiest of towns its easy to look past the negatives when your mind dosent have to focus on responsibilities, or needing to deal with the real life implications of the negatives. not to say people dont move places on a whim. but i mean, i was in Richmond VA last week and i would be lying if i wasnt doing the old "stare at fliers taped to the real estate office window" thing and saying hmm i wonder if i can make this work. i think the longer you stay in a given place though, the more the magic tends to wear off. at the end of the day, its just a place to call home. i wish i could say the architecture of the loop still gave me chills, but mostly im just trying to get the things done in my life that i need to do.

theres actually a phenomenon somewhat related to this called the Paris Syndrome, a city which in a way has been built up in a way far more extreme than Chicago. and the inevitable disappointment when tourists realize its just another city filled with problems and struggles just like any other.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-tourists-away
I just think falling in love with Chicago is slightly different in the tourist aspect than falling in love with some small beach town in Florida or Breckenridge, Colorado. Those are unrealistic in a way unless you are a business owner or retired. People falling in love with nyc is what keeps the city growing.

The part about life getting in the way is true, once you live in Chicago the glitz probably wears off until someone visits you and you show them around, but thats anywhere. You have bills, rent, work, etc anywhere you live. Negatives are in every part of America, and I'm sure they are just as bad in Beijing if not slightly worse. And for this retiring family, how many retirees move somewhere for the sole purpose of they like it? A good amount or Florida and their lack of corporate presence wouldn't be growing at triple the rate we do. I've also met plenty of people from Florida that get completely fed up come August when the 105 heat index has beat them to the ground and they still have 2 months of insanely hot weather left. Not to mention a 78 degree Christmas..

The argument can be flipped anywhere. I personally think people falling in love with the city for the weekend (especially college students and retirees) is very helpful to our demand of pulling in people from inside or outside the Midwest. For 35-55 year olds, life doesn't allow them to pick up and move because they fall in love with a vacation spot, but when you're out of college its almost the only free pass you'll ever have to pick a city you want to move to.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Homestyle Taste in Bridgeport (I think 3205 S Halsted). First 2.5-3 pages are NE Chinese food, mainly. There's a few here and there mixed in after that but the ones after that are either from other regions of China or americanized.
Ha that's my wives favorite place. She's north China too, chengde area.

From our last trip.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 6:33 PM

I live across the street from this old Chase Bank and received a public notice about an upcoming meeting.

See below for renderings of the development. I'm at work otherwise I'd take the time to host the images:

http://chicago47.org/wp-content/uplo...gs-7-29-16.pdf

Great site right next to the Ravenswood Metra. The area seems to really be gaining steam.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
I live across the street from this old Chase Bank and received a public notice about an upcoming meeting.

See below for renderings of the development. I'm at work otherwise I'd take the time to host the images:

http://chicago47.org/wp-content/uplo...gs-7-29-16.pdf

Great site right next to the Ravenswood Metra. The area seems to really be gaining steam.
This and the redevelopment of the old Sears down the street will really change this area. Too bad Chase has to have that suburban styled branch there. Oh well, it's still a huge improvement.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
Ha that's my wives favorite place. She's north China too, chengde area.

From our last trip.
Nice. China can be really beautiful (well, a lot of Asia). My girlfriend's parents travel around China a lot and I always see pictures. Pretty amazing stuff all over - kind of like the US there's a lot of different landscapes. Glad another N Chinese person loves Homestyle Taste. It's interesting how there's 3 dongbei places right there in Bridgeport. Have you been to Qing Xiang Yuan in Chinatown (temporarily closed for renovation)? They are NE style dumplings and the owners are from there originally - my girlfriend went there twice too and said it's the best dumplings she's had in the US in that style - better than anything she's had in LA, NYC, or SF.

Guess it all makes sense though - Chicago and Shenyang are sister cities

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This and the redevelopment of the old Sears down the street will really change this area. Too bad Chase has to have that suburban styled branch there. Oh well, it's still a huge improvement.
Yeah, that's interesting. Big improvement because the parking will be greatly reduced it looks like. I count 104 units.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 7:37 PM

thats actually kind of a bummer. that bank building is a really well preserved mid century gem. the glass especially always caught my eye any time id go past. i was actually biking past it the other day with a friend and they commented how nice it was, unprompted

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Nice. China can be really beautiful (well, a lot of Asia). My girlfriend's parents travel around China a lot and I always see pictures. Pretty amazing stuff all over - kind of like the US there's a lot of different landscapes. Glad another N Chinese person loves Homestyle Taste. It's interesting how there's 3 dongbei places right there in Bridgeport. Have you been to Qing Xiang Yuan in Chinatown (temporarily closed for renovation)? They are NE style dumplings and the owners are from there originally - my girlfriend went there twice too and said it's the best dumplings she's had in the US in that style - better than anything she's had in LA, NYC, or SF.

Guess it all makes sense though - Chicago and Shenyang are sister cities
Yes several times. She used to go there when they were in the basement food court there.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
thats actually kind of a bummer. that bank building is a really well preserved mid century gem. the glass especially always caught my eye any time id go past. i was actually biking past it the other day with a friend and they commented how nice it was, unprompted

It's an attractive building but the site is totally underused. The F.A.R. is appallingly low and not only that but the bank appears to be using about 25% of the building's square footage.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 6:49 AM

The completely new retail structure at Elston & Leavitt is almost finished. Seems like it will be really sleek, with an entirely glass multistory front face. Is this going to be a furniture place?

----------

Did Tom Servo just get "banned" for posting something mean about homeless people in a non Chicago thread? I assume whatever post triggered it was deleted, so maybe it went over the line, but shouldn't people have a suspension and cooling down period first especially if the offense was just one or two posts? His crazy occasional rants haven't been too horrible and are ignorable and sometimes useful, so whatever I've seen doesn't seem to warrant complete banishment. Shouldn't there be a thread with a council of local elders around a campfire or something to debate this stuff? Not particularly useful if some grumpy admin from Vancouver or somewhere decides to impose a death penalty on somebody s/he doesn't really know.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ tom was warned on numerous occasions to stop being a complete and total fuck-tard. i threatened him with a ban to get him to shape up and he said "go ahead and ban me, see if care about this stupid fucking forum and its idiot members". so i gave him exactly what he wanted.

the asshat brought absolutely nothing to the table. he was a textbook troll with nothing but contempt for our forum community; he will not be missed.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ tom was warned on numerous occasions to stop being a complete and total fuck-tard. i threatened him with a ban to get him to shape up and he said "go ahead and ban me, see if care about this stupid fucking forum and its idiot members". so i gave him exactly what he wanted.

the asshat brought absolutely nothing to the table. he was a textbook troll with nothing but contempt for our forum community; he will not be missed.
He did make me laugh with his constant traffic complaints and refusal to stop driving everywhere.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:52 PM

Quote:

Thank you Steely Dan. Everything you mentioned on why you banned him was spot on. His comments were depressing, constantly negative, and brought nothing to this forum.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:53 PM

Chicago Riverwalk to open this weekend

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...iver-boardwalk

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:59 PM

Brachs

The very large mound of crushed debris is being removed, bout 1/3 gone now. at ~12' deep, and cover 2 city blocks, it is a big undertaking.

[Brachs plant - Cicero / Lake ]

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 3:03 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
Chicago Riverwalk to open this weekend

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...iver-boardwalk
^ This is great news. Can't wait to get down there and enjoy it. Still wish they could have done more with Room 6, but I'll certainly take it.

Quote:
^ tom was (...) the asshat
Spot on, Steely. Spot on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development