HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 10:53 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
A few weeks ago, we were discussing the need for some tax reform and other pro-business measures and my response was the same as it will be for this post. Hard on crime resonates about the same as being pro-business - I don't think it's what the majority of voters want. Eric Adams would not have won here. The city's worsening crime rates is no recent thing but don't forget that despite all of it, Kranser was re-elected (and quite handily). Philly's poor leadership is a reflection of the City's voters. I don't know how to fix that.
With crime, and QOL issues being the forefront of city issues, do you really think if the city actually has a viable candidate with the voice of Eric Adams, Residents who usually skip the election wouldn't vote?

You can bet your jewels that people will be out in droves next election, and they will vote for a candidate that address these issues.

The Kenney Admin really gutted the city in terms of looking at the government as great people. if it wasn't for the developers and good people in this city we would be like Detroit (Sorry Detroit).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
With crime, and QOL issues being the forefront of city issues, do you really think if the city actually has a viable candidate with the voice of Eric Adams, Residents who usually skip the election wouldn't vote?

You can bet your jewels that people will be out in droves next election, and they will vote for a candidate that address these issues.

The Kenney Admin really gutted the city in terms of looking at the government as great people. if it wasn't for the developers and good people in this city we would be like Detroit (Sorry Detroit).
I’ve been really impressed by Rhynhart. Her presentation to CCRA was very informative and I get the impression that she’s as frustrated as we are. She seems to have data focused ideas that emphasize accountability. Not sure her stance on development but so far I’m hopeful.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:38 AM

Quote:
From my observation on Sunday night, Transit cops and PPD were at the City Hall/15th Stations, I can't speak about the rest of the line, but I can only hope they are putting cops in stations.

I'm confused though, how hard is it to have a cop at every station in a booth, car, or in the train cars?

Is there a reason why we that is not happening?

I know we have the whole "Soft on crime" movement across the whole US, and it is important to not abuse your power or force, but that doesn't mean we turn a blind eye to crimes being broken in clear line of sight.

There's a difference between arresting someone for smoking a joint while walking down a public sidewalk which is harmless, compared to removing or arresting someone from the EL for shooting up, harassing people, and causing QOL issues.

But the main issue in Philadelphia stems from Leadership, and the will to do better.

Now I don't want to cause a political debate, but lets ask ourselves

Would you rather have a Kenney or an Eric Adams?
Can't we have someone good/competent?

Last edited by allovertown; Sep 21, 2022 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:52 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I heard through the grapevine that Sugar Factory near 12th / Chestnut closed?
Didn't that just open? Anyone know the story?
Might be temporary. Tried to book a reservation through open table just now to see and got this message:
To Our Sweet Guests- Thank you for you reservation at Sugar Factory. We are going to have to cancel reservations at this time due to a unforeseen plumbing issue. A team member will call to re-schedule OR you can reschedule at www.sugarfactory.com Again, we apologize for any inconvenience, and we genuinely look forward to serving you very soon. www.sugarfactory.com Thank you- The Sugar Factory Family

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Might be temporary. Tried to book a reservation through open table just now to see and got this message:
To Our Sweet Guests- Thank you for you reservation at Sugar Factory. We are going to have to cancel reservations at this time due to a unforeseen plumbing issue. A team member will call to re-schedule OR you can reschedule at www.sugarfactory.com Again, we apologize for any inconvenience, and we genuinely look forward to serving you very soon. www.sugarfactory.com Thank you- The Sugar Factory Family
Well that’s good to hear. Hopefully just a temporary shutdown.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 11:16 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Damn it...who plugged up the toilet again? LOL.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 11:59 AM

Park at Penn’s Landing Gets Final Design Approval from Art Commission

Quote:
After several years of updates and iterations, engineering and approvals, the Philadelphia Art Commission recently gave unanimous and resounding approval to the final design to the park.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:

I agree 100%. Crime and QOL are going to be front and center and will easily outweigh taxation or being pro-business. Crime is something at this point that is felt in the majority of neighborhoods and cuts across various demographics. It is a much broader issue to run on vs cutting tax rates for businesses.

Krasner beat a poorly funded, less than ideal candidate in the primary in a low turnout election- people need to stop with this "landslide" nonsense. Not many people voted in Krasner's re-election primary- it was a snoozer partially due to lack of strong competition. If anyone has been paying attention Krasner (publically) has been acting a lot more like a "normal" DA in recent months by appearing at press conferences with his peers and making announcements of charges in major crimes. He has been under pressure to show that he understands people are fed up with the criminal activity and lack of consequences. Let's not forget the DA in SF got recalled based on conditions on the ground there- winning an election 1-2 years ago does not make you invincible.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:15 PM
Chris

Quote:
Thanks for the update! Hopefully a temporary closure. Sugar Factory is a place I would never visit, but it adds life and crowds to a block that really needs it. And maybe they can put up a permanent sign in the meantime, lol.

Some more food news. Looks like Bar Poulet, Las Vegas Lounge and Miel Patisserie have closed. Looks like the owners of Bar Poulet plan to focus their efforts on Tria and a new concept at the 2005 Walnut St space.

Does the closure of Vegas Lounge hint that development is pending?

Bar Poulet, Las Vegas Lounge, and both locations of Miel Patisserie have closed

https://www.inquirer.com/food/philad...-20220919.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:16 PM

What is this under-pass? Columbus? Had not seen this rendering previously. Looks nice

I noticed they are doing some pavement work at the Korean/Vietnam War memorials but I don't think it relates to this?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
What is this under-pass? Columbus? Had not seen this rendering previously. Looks nice

I noticed they are doing some pavement work at the Korean/Vietnam War memorials but I don't think it relates to this?

Yes, this is the block of Columbus between Walnut and Chestnut that will be fully covered by the new cap. It looks nice. From a circulation standpoint, once it's all built, the only people using this will be people trying to get north/south as quickly as possible, so I would imagine the overwhelming share of pedestrians would hug the river's edge and end up walking through the park and adjacent development.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post

It's another separated bike lane the city is incapable of maintaining (i.e. trash magnet).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It's another separated bike lane the city is incapable of maintaining (i.e. trash magnet).
I haven't seen that at all. The bike lane is a great asset and it's been awesome seeing so many people using it. The Delaware Waterfront corporation is very capable of keeping it clean.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat View Post
Back to NYC having some good public schools - one difference to Philadelphia is the PTOs are allowed to raise real money for their schools. The PTO for family in Brooklyn raised over a million dollars a year to give to the principal to spend on supplies and extra curriculars. You can't do that here.
Just to come back to this. To put an exclamation point and provide proof of my original point.

According to SchoolDigger (obviously just one source), 1 of the top 100 ranked Elementary Schools in Pennsylvania is in Philadelphia: It's McCall at #47 and I think we'd all agree that tracks. In the top 200, there are 4 (McCall, Penn Alexander (107), Greenfield (116), and Meredith (138). Again, I think we'd agree that tracks. And they are in good company. In the top 200 Elementary Schools in PA, there's a steady stream of reputable school districts.

In New York State, of the top 100 ranked Elementary Schools on SchoolDigger (using the same methodology), FIFTY THREE (53!) are in New York City. In fact, 8 of the top 10 are in NYC. The highest ranking non-city elementary school is at #7 in the super affluent suburb of Rye and at #10 is a school in the super competitive Jericho SD on Long Island. Of the top 200 elementary schools in New York State, a staggering 94 are in New York City. https://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/schoolrank.aspx

Plenty of not just middle class families, but upper income families have bought into and are satisfied with the NYC schools as evidenced by these rankings.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
This will be a super nice new home for the homeless for about a week before it becomes covered in human waste. lol.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
This will be a super nice new home for the homeless for about a week before it becomes covered in human waste. lol.
why do all your guys comments seem to be suggesting this isn't already built?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I haven't seen that at all. The bike lane is a great asset and it's been awesome seeing so many people using it. The Delaware Waterfront corporation is very capable of keeping it clean.
You must not ever take the 5th Street Bike lane that goes under the Vine Street Expressway.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:58 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
You must not ever take the 5th Street Bike lane that goes under the Vine Street Expressway.
Surprisingly theres never any trash or homeless encampments down there. Especially surprising since there is a cutaway in the middle that could support that.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:
the Streets Dept is responsible for the on-street bike lanes and our Streets Dept is full of world-class idiots.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
why do all your guys comments seem to be suggesting this isn't already built?

Because it isn't built yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development